Books on crystals?

firefrost

Thanks MorningGlory, I went for it.

It was a little expensive, but I'm waiting for The Book of Stones being delivered from eBay. Think I saved about £7 on the shop prices.

Alta

I have just ordered the Crystal Astrology book and an email from amazon says it has been shipped. :)

firefrost

I'm waiting for three books from Ebay now, two crystal ones and a tarot one.

Getting a bit annoyed as well, as the crystal ones should have been with me now.

I love the look of that one as well, Marion.

memries

For all my interest in crystals and minerals, I have never found a book yet that I have patience when using. It seems like their pictures are not the same as my specimens or they don't have one at all. It makes me feel that I should have one of those little eye things to identify the inner structure of the specimen.

For instance .. how do you know it is what the seller says it is ? I do research on the internet which is the best source for sooner or later you find similar specimens. The books are not comprehensive at all unless I still have not acquired a good one.

Also the heating of crystals to change their color and call them something else is fraud really when there are the real thing to be had. ie clear diamonds when heated become "canary" yellow diamonds... but ... the real thing is found in nature as well.

The growth of rubies that are so perfect they put a laser insignia inside them to stop dealers selling them as earth found rubies. They are genuine rubies because of the perfect structure but they are man made.

The more I read the more confused I am becoming.

MCsea

Marion said:
I have just ordered the Crystal Astrology book and an email from amazon says it has been shipped. :)

HUGS

THANK YOU!!
:party:

MCsea

memries said:
For all my interest in crystals and minerals, I have never found a book yet that I have patience when using. It seems like their pictures are not the same as my specimens or they don't have one at all. It makes me feel that I should have one of those little eye things to identify the inner structure of the specimen.

For instance .. how do you know it is what the seller says it is ? I do research on the internet which is the best source for sooner or later you find similar specimens. The books are not comprehensive at all unless I still have not acquired a good one.

Also the heating of crystals to change their color and call them something else is fraud really when there are the real thing to be had. ie clear diamonds when heated become "canary" yellow diamonds... but ... the real thing is found in nature as well.

The growth of rubies that are so perfect they put a laser insignia inside them to stop dealers selling them as earth found rubies. They are genuine rubies because of the perfect structure but they are man made.

The more I read the more confused I am becoming.

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND!
I went about writing my OWN book to address ALL OF these issues -and guess what - there is a big force called the PUBLISHING COMPANY that really affects the way a book is presented - I worked with my publishing company - as published authors must.. to get the most out into the wide world - but had to sacrifice technicalities - crystal strucutre, variations, geological terms were reduced to a minimum even how much space I had to write about each crystal was kept to a minimum. It costs a fortune for a publisher to print colour books - and so many people (market research - which means who will buy the book) want glossy pretty pics, I put in small - 99% accurate pictures in my book (some are hard to quantify as they in nature have MANY appearances)

I have a masters degree in geology - and thats how I normally know which rock is which crystal but even for me there are difficulties and uncertainties.
the best source is the internet - there are of course geological reference books but they do not cover 'popular' names for stones nor man-made stones/crystals.

Rutley's Elements of Mineralogy by Frank Rutley is my preferred source - no pictures.

IMHO like any other field of study there is never ONE definitive book a range of information needs to be read to learn.

I can say I tried with publishing my book and IF I get a second chance I will make it more technical, but need people of like mind to let publishers know there is a need for it.

blessings

MARINA

memries

That is such an interesting response to my post. I do appreciate it greatly and especially to know that, amateur as I am, the professionals like you come across the same kind of difficulty.

I did not know you had a published book Mcsea. May I ask which one it is ?
I have bought a few and will buy more I am sure. I kind of regret now that I did not become a Geologist but when you are young you don't always make the right decisions and even then in later life you have different interests.

MCsea

memries said:
That is such an interesting response to my post. I do appreciate it greatly and especially to know that, amateur as I am, the professionals like you come across the same kind of difficulty.

I did not know you had a published book Mcsea. May I ask which one it is ?
I have bought a few and will buy more I am sure. I kind of regret now that I did not become a Geologist but when you are young you don't always make the right decisions and even then in later life you have different interests.

:D
CRYSTAL ASTROLOGY - 360 crystal meanings and affirmations - 360 colour pics and they all relate to one degree of the zodiac - which means you can find out your crystal astrology - Oh of course sabian symbols are in it too..
just a very new baby - published in June 2007 she is just starting to glow..

I love that I became a geologist it gave me such an opportunity to travel and see lots of rocks ;)
Is it too late? I know of lots of people moving back to study - change of career !! You could give it ago - or even gemology ooohhhh something Id LOVE to do!

I decided early in the process I would work with the publisher - I was blessed they accepted my proposal after all - but some of the things that were changed were stunningly weird others I did stand my ground and were kept.. still I respect their time and knowledge.. and I know that Judy Hall's publisher also hold tight reign over the final formatting and pictures..
Melody doesnt have pics - yet I am still holding out one day she puts out a MEGA book pictures and all!
My publisher is the same as Geinger (A-Z of crystal healing) and thats a great book too..

firefrost

Finally!

My Crystal Bible and Book of Stones arrived.

At least I'll have time to spend with them over the weekend.

StellarMyst

Here's an idea...

Try the books LOVE IS IN THE EARTH - A KALEIDOSCOPE OF CRYSTALS, by Melody (there's a text in the purple book about the crystals, and a green book that has the pictures for the crystals in the purple book - same title, as the purple book but with pictures & a green cover... ;) - there's a third book that the pitoral also goes with it (ie: Two text referrence books, & one picture-guide for the *set* ...although the Love is in the Earth two are more of a set than with the third accompanying them...).

I had never thought of using a field manual for use with this, but you will need one with Melody's books because she does in fact go into what geological forms the crystals manifest in nature as. Good call, sleepingcat! :D

Hope this helps. ;)

Blessings,

StellarMyst