Author: Manly P Hall: Critique required.

Rosanne

Could someone indicate to me how well regarded is the book The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P Hall ?
It was first published in 1928, although I have been given the republished 2003 version.
I have found it interesting, but at odds with some scholars in the field. I realise that more is known since it's inception.
Many thanks
Rosanne

MeeWah

Rosanne: Not an expert on the book, but like it for the encyclopedic nature of the myriad of subjects. Use it mainly as a reference source.

I have a 1973 Nineteenth Edition - reduced facsimile of the First Edition. So the font a bit hard on the eyes. & the colour plates in black & white. It was acquired in the same year from The Association for Research & Enlightenment during a visit there.

Having seen an original limited edition copy housed at the library of The A.R.E., my edition pales in comparison both for the ease of readiing & the lack of colour. That original inspired the purchase, however, because perusing its contents an inspiring & thought-provocative experience & has remained so.

Rosanne

Thanks MeeWah- I cannot seem to find a review on the book. I have enjoyed it thus far, but like all books like this, one wonders.......Seasons greetings, by the way! ~Rosanne

ZenMusic

we i was a child (and into my early teens), it was one of my most cherished possession (the very large, color version); i spent many evenings turning the pages of that book, spending hours trying to understand the paintings and symbolism... it was wonderful...

now when I read it, I see that it is valuable, but badly out of date, many of the historical facts and assumptions have changed and a revised edition is badly needed...but it is a classic, work the read... even if just for the paintings...

mac22

Rosanne said:
Could someone indicate to me how well regarded is the book The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P Hall ?
It was first published in 1928, although I have been given the republished 2003 version.
I have found it interesting, but at odds with some scholars in the field. I realise that more is known since it's inception.
Many thanks
Rosanne

Well IMHO Hall was a polymath. I was offered an original oversized edition of the work with glorious color plates, a numbered edition, in a slipcase. Unfortunately the $300 was beyond my means at the time...

Here is a bit more about Hall http://www.dailygrail.com/node/193

Still He's worth the time and effort.

FWIW I still consult my B/W edition often & usually I find Hall made the thought, idea, connection before me at age 28.

Mac22

Rosanne

Lol A Renaissance man eh Mac? What Age of Man would that be? Thank you- as ZenMusic states the plates are quite beautiful. I did not realise I had the oversize- because it has the slip cover, and the images are in colour not black and white. It is obviously a classic then, and I will re- read with a different eye
( and thank more profusely the giver of the gift.) Many thanks for the link. It is a hardcover Edition with blue and burgundy- is that the same as it has always been? ~Rosanne

mac22

Rosanne said:
Lol A Renaissance man eh Mac? What Age of Man would that be? Thank you- as ZenMusic states the plates are quite beautiful. I did not realise I had the oversize- because it has the slip cover, and the images are in colour not black and white. It is obviously a classic then, and I will re- read with a different eye ( and thank more profusely the giver of the gift.) Many thanks for the link. It is a hardcover Edition with blue and burgundy- is that the same as it has always been? ~Rosanne

OOO a very nice edition!!! A prized classic. As for the Renaissance Man -- I try. :D Two of my role models were Da Vinci & Ben Franklin....:) Since you asked.... I started with metaphysics, mythology & the occult in 1960.

As I recall the cover of the 28 edition was maroon & tan. The original 1928 printing plates were given to a WWII scrap drive.

Mac22

Abrac

Hall was very insightful in many ways, but The Secret Teachings of all Ages is definitely outdated. However it does give you a good look into a lot of the prevalent ideas of the day which still makes it a valuable book.

There are so many version out there it's hard to keep track of them all. I have a so-called 'reduced' facsimile edition with color plates that I use for reference and the reader's edition by Tarcher/Penguin for when I just want to kick back and read. It's a smaller paperback with slightly larger print.