This deck is calling to me.........

Sulis

Hi.
I started my studies with tarot about 18 months ago now so I still consider myself a beginner. So far I`ve mainly concentrated on RWS style decks, my favorites being World Spirit and the Stone Tarot. In the last few months I seem to be leaning a lot more towards Thoth style decks ; Cosmic Tribe and Vision Quest are 2 which I`ve recently aquired, I also have the Gill.
I`ve found that the meanings seem to gel more with me that the RWS style meanings.
Anyway, it suddenly hit me last week ` why don`t you actually get a Thoth deck?`and I`ve been gradually getting more obsessed by the day.
So as soon as I`ve saved up the pennies and got myself a Thoth deck I should hopefully be joining the study group as I`d quite like to make it my main deck.

Love and light

Crystalmynx xx

Richard1

If you do (and it's definitely my favorite deck), make sure to get the regular sized US Games ones (in the lavendar box). It's been said here before, but it bears repeating. The colors are brighter than the large version, and I think it's currently the only version that come with three versions of the Magus card, all of which are lovely.
Personally, I find some of the more Thelemic associations to be a little silly (The Ace of Disks is especially silly), but if you can get past that, the cards are great.

Astraea

Thoth Deck

crystalmynx, I love the Thoth deck. It's very beautiful and I think it communicates in a deep and meaningful way, on many levels (as all decks do, if they are compatible with their people!). Hope you will enjoy it, too.

jema

is it not the US games version that is sort of greenish?
i got the AGMuller version and it is quite lovely. and i never missed the two extra cards, one still only use one magician.
i guess it is a matter of taste though. perhaps some like the green tint to it!

Astraea

Greenish Thoth

Hi, Jema! Both my first large Thoth deck (published by US Games) and a later one (by Weiser) have a decidedly pale green tint. My small version (US Games) is vivid and does not have the green tint. The images in both large decks are quite faint, but not in the small deck. These variations don't bother me, but I've wondered why the versions are so different.

Sulis

Well I went out this morning to my local magic shop which has a wonderful supply of tarot cards and they had 3 versions:

A really large version published by AGM
A tiny version published by AGM
A standard sized version with the 3 magus cards published by US Games.

I got the version with the 3 magus cards and the colours are fine, no greenish tinge at all
Apparently the US games version was originally greenish but recent editions of it aren`t green.
Haven`t had chance to do any more than look through it yet but so far I`m impressed.

Love and light

Crystalmynx xx

lawguy51

I have both the large and regular sized US Games Thoth decks. The trick is, if you look at the top flap of the regular size, you will see it says "Deck printed in Belgium". Also, the cellophane covering the deck has a sticker, "MADE IN BELGIUM AGMAGMULLER". So the small US Games deck is actually the Belgium printed deck (with the 3 Magus's).

The Thoth deck is about my 6th deck that I have seriously worked with. I thought I had settled on Haindl but like Crystalmynix, I figured, I should have the 'source' deck so I purchased the Thoth deck (both of them!). And I love it. I think I have finally found my goto deck.

Lawguy51

Cerulean

I've been enjoying all these threads.

I like returning to this deck and checking out new resources for it. The art deco style designs can seem very crystalline (Hanged Man) or soft and fluid (Star, Nine of Cups).
I checked out the Tarot Total package again with Suzanne Levitt's color workbook and free journal. The workbook has two card comparisons--a Thoth and Rider Waite Smith design on one page. I liked the design constrasts and colors in the Thoth more.
The mini-decks that come in the package have the clear colors that make the Thoth seem much fresher to me. If I'm at the computer, I like the bigger deck, but when at a tea/coffeeshop, the smaller decks ---playing card size and the pocket size---are good. I'm hoping to find a pocket-size Thoth Companion book at one point.
If you have the lavendar box Thoth, do you like the booklet?

Blue Override

This deck rocks.

(And look at the Star! Sure, the books say she's holding cups, but don't those look like spotlights she's shining down?)

coldsuns

Hey..when the deck is calling to you. Say a "Hi' back. This is basic rule. =X Just kidding! Hope that you can get this deck soon. Is a nice and interesting deck. Easy to understand. Nice 'graphics and pictures. But the large one is hard to handle which i have here.

All the beSt ^-^