Card Reversals

MystiqueMoonlight

The Thoth are not meant for reversals. Aleister Crowley didn't use this new age method of Tarot reading.

MM

HOLMES

hmm

celeste for learning to use reversals get the book tarot reversals,
it deals mainly with the rider deck images, however,
the concepts can easily be applied to the toth deck. (or any deck )

and remember it is your choice to use them or not for many of us use them , many of us don't.

celeste

Thanks Holmes

I have been looking at that very book as the next one to buy. I'm in the middle of moving, so my Tarot book acquistions are slow at this point (to save $$).

I have tried reading the cards all right side up but I find they make more sense to the person recieving the reading when some of them are reversed naturally.

Also, I have been wondering if I can apply the Rider-Waite reversals to the meanings of the Thoth deck. I guess so. The Mary Greer book says you can adapt them to any deck.

Rusty Neon

MystiqueMoonlight said:
The Thoth are not meant for reversals. Aleister Crowley didn't use this new age method of Tarot reading.

Actually, Elemental Dignities (the technique originated by the Golden Dawn and used by Crowley) is a more recent technique than Reversals. The technique of Reversals was around in French taromancy/cartomancy before the Golden Dawn ever existed.

MystiqueMoonlight

Rusty Neon said:
Actually, Elemental Dignities (the technique originated by the Golden Dawn and used by Crowley) is a more recent technique than Reversals. The technique of Reversals was around in French taromancy/cartomancy before the Golden Dawn ever existed.

It's important to remember here guys that although Crowley was a member of the Original Golden Dawn (not the New Golden Dawn) he did form his own covent called the Thelemic Golden Dawn. His techniques differed from that of the OGD.

Rusty Neon

MystiqueMoonlight said:
It's important to remember here guys that although Crowley was a member of the Original Golden Dawn (not the New Golden Dawn) he did form his own covent called the Thelemic Golden Dawn. His techniques differed from that of the OGD.

hi MM ... I agree that the esoteric teachings of Crowley's order _Ordo Templi Orientis_ differ in various respects from those of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. However, in the Book of Thoth, in Appendix A, Crowley does describe the card reading method borrowed from the Golden Dawn: the Opening of the Key, consisting of five operations.

Is it your thesis that Crowley didn't use the technique of Elemental Dignities?

MystiqueMoonlight

Rusty Neon said:
hi MM ... I agree that the esoteric teachings of Crowley's order _Ordo Templi Orientis_ differ in various respects from those of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. However, in the Book of Thoth, in Appendix A, Crowley does describe the card reading method borrowed from the Golden Dawn: the Opening of the Key, consisting of five operations.

Is it your thesis that Crowley didn't use the technique of Elemental Dignities?

They key word here "borrowed" :)

teb

hi

When I first started with the Thoth deck I intended to use elemental dignities and not reversals. However, my first reading had an accidental reversal turn up.
I decided to ask the deck if it wanted me to use reversals. The card I drew as an answer was The Highpriestess. Now I always use reversals with it as well as elemental dignities. On the other hand one of my RWS clones doesn't like reversals at all. My suggestion to any one who is unsure about reversals to ask the deck. It puzzles me that we frequently look for answers to these sort of questions from all sorts of sources but forget that we can ask the deck itself.

teb

celeste

About a month ago I bought the book Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer and

found that while she uses the Rider-Waite deck as examples (all the illustrations are Rider-Waite images)of the reversed and upright positions, she also mentions the corresponding Thoth deck cards throughout the book.
And an interesting technique that she writes about
towards the end of the book is (once you have your spread)to turn over all the upright cards and read all the reversed like a story. Then do the same to all the upright cards. Then read the cards in blocks of triads or dyads. This helps you to understand the dynamics of what is going on-sometimes at different levels too I've found.
Anyway, I found and continue to find this book helpful and de-mystify some of the issues with reversals.

matfav

The Thoth deck was never mean't to be read in reversed card mode. To understand the use of the thoth deck, you first have a key word which literally "locks" the card. Second, you look then for patterns of energy within the spread. Can explain this only to those who ask.

Crowley heavily relied on the kabalah and also his journies, inspiried by snuff. So most of his writings only have personal meaning to him alone.

Regardless, his thoth deck is powerful, beutiful and full of metaphysical brilliance.