Moon - Major #18

tarotbear

And what would gay life be without sex? Heterosexuality!

Old Woman: Bialy - could we play just one dirty little game?
Max: What? You people are driving me crazy! Could we play one game that doesn't involve sex?
Old Woman: O.K.- what game do you want to play?
Max: Let's play a game called 'The Jewish Princess and her husband.'
apologies to Mel Brooks

O.K. - I promise to behave, but most straight people think gaydom is based purely on sex and sex drive alone .. but it's a great erotic card! From my knowledge of 'gay missionary position' these two men are deeply involved. Oh? It's a card about the ....Moon? LWB:"a sense of mystery. Sexuality or sex." One can speculate if this is a longterm relationship: Mr. Right, or Mr. Right Now? The Moon deals in cycles and perceptions (or misperceptions), and I can layer this card many times based on that theory. Do you have a lot of anonymous sex with multiple partners? Do you use condoms or safe sex practices? Do you really know if he (or you) is negative? Do you always have sex in front of open windows or in public places? Do you trust the person you have sex with to continue safe practices if he has multiple partners? The list can go on and on because at this milestone in my life (edge of 50) I see more and more younger men indulging in risky sex as though they are invincible, or that the AIDS virus is non-existant. Such is the deception of thinking 'It can't happen to me!' When the Moon pulls on your brain fluids and Mr. Hot as F*** walks in the door, reasoning and reality make a quick exit.

A beautiful ~ and HOT card! I can even apply it to the idea of LWB: " creative ideas which gestate in the sunconscious" !!! LOL!

Shade

I like taht it is a bit ambiguous if he is dreaming it all.

tarotbear

sucking face ...

Is this the only card that shows two men kissing? I think it is.

Elentir

I have not generally thought of the Moon card as being associated with sex, but I certainly can understand it as being related to fantasy, for which this card is certainly appropriate!

Although I usually see the Moon card as a symbol of clouded judgment, or making one's way through an surreal and shadowy landscape, I don't particularly see this theme being brought out by the image on Lee's card. Sure, one could draw out the kinds of meaning suggested by Tarotbear, above. Certainly the card is about mystery and moonlit rendezvous, but to me there the threat of poor judgment that I otherwise associate with the Moon doesn't seem to come from the image itself.

And that's a good thing, because the Moon should properly also be about one's dreams and imagination, and thus one's desires. Thus it seems quite right for me to start thinking of the Moon as having a potential sexual undertone that ordinarily would not have occurred to me.

Of course, the Moon is also about the knowledge and understanding that comes from experience, memory, and imagination rather than from abstract, rational thought. In Western traditions, light is always a symbol for truth, but there are many truths that come from darkness, mystery, and shadow (such as artistic or aesthetic truth). Somehow that also makes the eroticism of this card quite appropriate.

rainwolf

elentir said:
Although I usually see the Moon card as a symbol of clouded judgment, or making one's way through an surreal and shadowy landscape, I don't particularly see this theme being brought out by the image on Lee's card.

Not to make anyone uncomfortable...but when guys are getting into it (horny) they usually get clouded judgement (imagine that!) Im sure many a gay guys got into that situation because of clouded judgement (not that its bad, wrong, or a mistake in the future)--and im not going to claim that it isnt because they are guys ;)

Elentir

Clouded judgement and the Moon

Don't misunderstand me-- I'm perfectly aware of the ways sex can be linked to cloudy judgement! I just don't think Lee's/Antonella's interpretation of this card makes special reference to that particular theme.