Seven Stars' Samhain Deck of the Dead

The Happy Squirrel

Have the large deck and my first reaction was, is this made of something other than paper? It is feels very sturdy in the large and I love it!! It has good 'liquidity' too. Amazing to shuffle and amazing to spread!!!

seven stars

I'm going back to Omaha to do a Halloween party that I've done for several years now - I'm really excited to use the new big deck. I've always used the Deck of the Bastard but with this particular crowd I'm thinking the DOD is going to be a lot of fun.

Calcifer

I've got a large sized one on the way to me, and I'm really wanting Sulis bag for it... are the actual dimensions of this deck posted anywhere ? I didn't see it in this thread anyway...

I'm also curious about this 3rd Samhain edition... #1 was limited to 100 decks, #2 was limited to 500 decks, what about this one ? Is there a number of deck cut-off that I didn't catch while reading up on it ?

I'll keep searching...
Thanks
Michael

Le Fanu

OK. Try this;

I see from your profile that you have the Gilded Royale. Get the Minors of the Gilded Royale (or any 56 cards). That's the height of the Large Deck of the Dead but the cards are maybe a couple of millimetres bigger on all sides than the GR. With those proportions, I'm sure you can get a sense of what size bag you'd need.

A bag made for the full deck of Gilded Royale would work as it is higher when stacked BUT narrower...

seven stars

I've got a large sized one on the way to me, and I'm really wanting Sulis bag for it... are the actual dimensions of this deck posted anywhere ? I didn't see it in this thread anyway...

I'm also curious about this 3rd Samhain edition... #1 was limited to 100 decks, #2 was limited to 500 decks, what about this one ? Is there a number of deck cut-off that I didn't catch while reading up on it ?

I'll keep searching...
Thanks
Michael

They're an inch thick.

As far as limited quantities.....the 2nd is limited to 500 but, in all honesty, all these decks are "limited" regardless of a number being placed on them. A publisher like US Games can go on forever, printing into infinity, but I'm one person, & chances are, I won't be doing this when I'm 95. At some point, I'll decide I'm tired of making this deck or that deck, I'll make better decks & replace the old, or I may get a day job & quit this altogether. Who knows. So although I haven't put a specific number on the DOD, rest assured, I have no one waiting in line to continue making these things after I'm one of the dearly departed.

BTW you guys do know there's a drawing for this deck on Adverts right?

Calcifer

Thanks Le Fanu & Elaine,

I wrote this post just before work, and the very last thing I did before I walked out the door was look at your blog LF - you had the actual dimensions posted there. I just didn't have time to get back here and say so. Duh ! By the way, as always, loved your review :).
Thanks again !
Michael

Dark Victory '39

Wow

I've had this for a couple weeks, and i cant get over how much i love it. I don't think of it even being particularly halloween-esque, and see myself using it all throughout the winter, any season really. I wish Elaine or Le Fanu or someone would write a companion book about the various artworks the cards come from, as I dont know when the last time it was i found a deck in itself to be so fascinating. Its SO funny reading comments and how some people are just bored as chipbeef on toast by this kind of thing; i find it actually kind of a romantic deck, and see the skeletons as consoling, rather good companions. I did the large version and am surprisingly pleased w/ the large borders as i like the effect of all the knights spilling out of them. Its the only thing i'm keeping on my bedside table these days, and i have fallen into the miserable trick of waking up at four a.m., and so i've been pulling out my flashlight to look at them until i fall back asleep. (Mr. Dark Victory (of the moment) is less than thrilled.) I followed this thread throughout, and I knew i liked what i saw, and loved reading the reviews, but i didn't feel like it was pressing for me to get. So i paid off some bills and sort of twirled my thumbs a while bf ordering; but oh, so glad i did.

Le Fanu

This deck continues to fascinate me. I have had it within arm's reach pretty much since I got it. Yes, that sense of things phantasmagorical spilling out beyond the confines of the scroll-work frames. I absolutely love it, unreservedly. I cannot imagine it in any other form than LARGE! It has to be like that - they feel like antique book frontispieces. This is the deck which most feels like a magickal tome for me whose pages you rearrange.

There really would be no better dark/winter/Samhain/Halloween deck to lay out by candlelight. There is something about its chaos and mismatched juxtaposing which makes it feel deliciously deranged and witchy.

By the way, maybe mods could edit my thread title. It isn't actually called "Samhain", is it? (Where did I get that from?)