Do you know of any Tarot decks with odd suits?

nisaba

Any of the Marseille decks, any of the Ancient Italian decks, any of the Visconti decks. The beauty of these decks, too, is that they have centuries and centuries of credibility, too. :)

There are decks with Arrows, Weapons, Bows, Clubs and Branches.

There are decks with Loaves, Stones, Reels and even Buttons instead of Pentacles.

You should be able to click on the "Tarot Decks" link at the top-left of the screen and do a word-search on any of these keywords, and find the decks I'm talking about. Happy hunting!

Marirowana

I can recommend the Tarot of Trees, it uses the 4 seasons instead of the traditional suits.
(I don't own it, but it is on top of my wishlist at the moment :D)

Dark Victory '39

tarot des filles

The majors are misnumbered, which can be quite confusing; that said if you can get past it the tarot des filles has whimsical suits: oak leaves (for swords), candlesticks (wands), seals/dolphins kissing in a heart shape (cups), and broomsticks for pentacles. it's a black and white, with gilded edges and fits nicely in the hand.

Sablespace

Rodney, you have a very....extensive collection:p I mean, wow!! But really, thanks:) I will look into them (but not now, as I should be asleep as well:/)

And as for where am I, we call it the 'Eastern Bible Belt', some of the states on the eastern coast like Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, North and South Carolina, etc. all have a pretty high population of bat-crap crazy Christian religious people. As in, speaking in tongues and beating themselves, and telling my high-school that LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS WAS A 'SATANIC' PLAY *huff*. So anything starting with 'penta' tends to raise hackles. It's easier, and friendlier on the wallet of a broke college student, to be as neutral as possible. It's crummy though, especially if you AREN'T Christian.

The Happy Squirrel

I second the Cary-Yale Visconti Tarocchi Deck suggested above :) The three virtues are rather Christian (faith, charity and hope - I know you aren't one) and they stand in for Pope / Hierophant, Popess / High Priestess, and The Star (referred as such in the booklet), and the suits are arrows, chalices, coins, and swords (although the booklet says staves, cups, coins, and swords).

May I also suggest

(1) the Golden Visconti-Sforza deck by Mary Packard :) It is a face lift version of an old 15th century deck :)

(2) the Incidental Tarot. The suits are roses (for cups / water), oaks (for pentacles / coins / earth - this reminds me of the acorn suits in old Game of Hope Lenormand cards), quills (for swords / air), and arrows (for staves / batton / clubs - in a way the artist returned to the old Italian suit of arrows).

(3) tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery (from the alchemicalegg.com) by Robert M Place

:)

conurelover

Minchiate Fiorentine

Minchiate has coins. For the record, take it from an Italians...Italians don't call them wands. The word in Italian translates to baton in English.

Not only that, the majors have Faith, Hope, Prudence, and Charity. Some people have theorized as well that the artist that created the Star card depicted one of the Three Kings.

The Magician isn't a magician. Grand Duke stands in for the Priestess. The Western Emperor stands in for the Heirophant.

Depending which deck you get your hands on, Judgement or the Angel is purely flying over Florence with a trumpet.

It is quite a beautiful deck. You could display this deck in the Bible Belt without a problem I think.

http://www.tarot.org.il/Minchiate/Trumps.html

nisaba

And then there is the Grail Tarot of John Matthews, which is all exaggerated biblical imagery in every single card.

Sablespace

Thank you all! Wow, what a wonderful response:) I've been searching as fast as I can, and I get more suggestions than my fingers can type at a time!

Now for a trickier one: How about cards (suits don't matter, whatever's there:D) with gilded, sparkly edges? I know there MUST be more than Aeclectic search shows! I'm apparently Tarot-challenged, because my google searches are all "Did you mean GLIDING TAROT?" (huh?).

nisaba

Try searching "Gilded" instead of "gilding".

The Salvatore Dali. And the first edition Quantum, which is, satisfyingly, gilded in silver, which seems, somehow, more luxurious than the gold.