78 Cards by Lana Zellner

acidrica

Interestingly enough, this deck reminds me of a 'tatoo'-ish style. It doesn't click with me, but that 10 of swords is fierce!

karen0205

Too gory for me.
I think the sword through the forehead is a bit disturbing. Along with the hands cut off and stuck up on the swords,
too much for me. I know some clients will have a problem with the imagery. It might limit buyers for the deck
unless they buy it strictly for collector value but I wouldn't buy this to use it after seeing that card. I love her style of art,
it's too bad. A lot of clients would not react well to that card though. They have enough trouble with the death card! lol

gregory

I think the sword through the forehead is a bit disturbing. Along with the hands cut off and stuck up on the swords,
too much for me. I know some clients will have a problem with the imagery. It might limit buyers for the deck
unless they buy it strictly for collector value but I wouldn't buy this to use it after seeing that card. I love her style of art,
it's too bad. A lot of clients would not react well to that card though. They have enough trouble with the death card! lol
Then they need to find a different way to get readings. the death card need not mean literal death anyway - it's the NAME that gets them on that one.

I love that ten - I think it says JUST what it menas whiel remainign beautiful and disturbing.

LZel

Oh, what a bummer to hear!

I do understand that a client may not react well to the card, I am OK with that personally. That is all part of the Tarot (and life in fact). It can't be all sunshine and rainbows every day. Truthfully though, a client probably wouldn't react well to this card in the Rider Waite deck either.... it is an upsetting card at first glance in most decks. No doubt about that!

That visceral reaction to the card is actually what makes this card so interesting to me, and is why I chose to exaggerate it even more. Even in the RWD, you look at it, your stomach turns, you feel the weight of the card on you, but then you kind of have to laugh at just how awful it really is.

It's like a Greek tragedy, and the beauty lies in the fact that it can not get any worse. Time to leave this problem aside.

Also, please note that I have drawn this man in a field of poppies... yes he has been struct down, but it wasn't nearly as painful as it appears at first glance.

BrownBear

Also, please note that I have drawn this man in a field of poppies... yes he has been struct down, but it wasn't nearly as painful as it appears at first glance.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the imagery.

Personally poppies always indicate drug addiction to me.

LZel

Interestingly enough, this deck reminds me of a 'tatoo'-ish style. It doesn't click with me, but that 10 of swords is fierce!

Fun-fact - I started this project to build a drawing portfolio to show to tattoo shops, so that I can find an apprenticeship. So there is a reason you are picking up on that vibe :)

LZel

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the imagery.

Personally poppies always indicate drug addiction to me.

This is exactly why I am so excited to work with four different card readers for the book! I absolutely love that a single image can be interpreted so many different ways.

karen0205

Oh, what a bummer to hear!

I do understand that a client may not react well to the card, I am OK with that personally. That is all part of the Tarot (and life in fact). It can't be all sunshine and rainbows every day. Truthfully though, a client probably wouldn't react well to this card in the Rider Waite deck either.... it is an upsetting card at first glance in most decks. No doubt about that!

That visceral reaction to the card is actually what makes this card so interesting to me, and is why I chose to exaggerate it even more. Even in the RWD, you look at it, your stomach turns, you feel the weight of the card on you, but then you kind of have to laugh at just how awful it really is.

It's like a Greek tragedy, and the beauty lies in the fact that it can not get any worse. Time to leave this problem aside.

Again, this is just my opinion. I think the style of your art, the colors and crisp images are wonderful, it's just the content
on this one is too gory for my clients. Yes, the RWS deck includes a 10 of Swords which shows someone with swords in
their body, from a distance away with little detail. Most decks do not usually include a close up of a face with swords
through it, eyes open with hands cut off skewered on the swords.

There are some sensitivities you need when picking decks to use for readings with clients. I am not going to use the
Decameron or Dark Tantra with the clients I usually see. They might have a heart attack right there, lol I want them to
come back and bring their friends. I am not looking to shock them. The image on this card prevents me from using
it with clients which is a bummer. I still like the deck, but can't use it except with a limited group of friends.