Suggestions for Novice's Use of Different Decks

Goodluck

Hi, I'm a novice and have been learning with the Rider Waite deck. I'm blown away at the many different decks out there and how similar/different they are. I'm still learning Rider Waite, but think I may be close to beginning to learn a new deck as well.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to which deck would be the best for me to learn next? Is there one that's easier to learn or meshes well with what I've learned so far with Ride Waite?

Thanks!

cSpaceDiva

There are so many decks out there that are based on the Rider Waite Smith (RWS). You should have no problem finding a deck that will both draw from and enhance your understanding of the deck you're using now. What are some of your interests or hobbies? What kind of art are you attracted to? That can help narrow down the selection.

Pam O

WELCOME to the fabulous world of the AT forum! :)

What decks have caught your attention, and sucked you in?
Have you been exploring the different deck photos featured to see what grabs you?

A key is yo ENJOY your exploration.
If you let us know what decks have attracted you so far, we can give you feedback, (and share other potentials of similar decks to check out).

reall

Gilded Tarot by C.M is must have!^^
also you will had to get Thoth C.H eventual because all good books for that deck!^^ ;)))

Moonbow

If I had my Tarot time over again I would spend more time on the Waite/Smith system before moving on. But there's so much Tarot candy out there and I wasn't self disciplined enough to hold back. Then I would slowly turn to the other of the three systems i.e. Marseilles and Thoth. I would use more than study, and learn all three systems well. THEN, I would look at the other candy that's around, with the experience of the three systems.

If you want to stick to the Waite/Smith system then spend some time looking on the database here and you will know what appeals to you, but asking for opinions on actual decks is subjective so be aware of personal taste coming in to recommendations.

BodhiSeed

If you like Rider Waite styled decks, you're in luck because there are tons of them! :) I would suggest looking through the "Tarot Decks" section here on Aeclectic and see what you are drawn to. My other suggestion would be to get a deck and book set that will help explain some of the cards better; the recently released Victorian Fairy set is a good example.
Welcome to ATF, Goodluck!

danieljuk

what artwork or styles do you like? I think it's a good idea to work out your personal taste! for me I know I like happy and bright cards. big bold pop art type colours and slightly impressionist, so I look for decks in that style (actually I asked on here and people gave me their wonderful suggestions in my theme area).

If you have the RWS, you might like to keep it safe and go for a clone. It uses the RWS style but does it slightly differently.

The AT area which is not the forum, has great reviews and suggestions for decks. There is the latest decks coming in and top tens of popularity - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/topten.shtml

some of the lists that might help you...

beginners tarot decks - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/beginner.shtml

rider waite clones (they have different colours or redrawn versions of the cards) - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite-clone.shtml

rider waite inspired - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite-inspired.shtml

it really involves you looking at pictures of decks you think you would like! if you want to keep in the RWS area and not be too adventurous, you could go for the radiant tarot or Albano-Waite tarot, they are RWS but new colours. They give you new insights. The International Icon tarot has the RWS pictures with all religious elements and sex and race removed. If you want to be more adventuous, you need you decide on what you like. There is decks with cats, fairies, dark decks in theme and angels and mermaids! It's too big an area to recommend without knowing someone's taste :)

Viridian

The decks that people are drawn to vary wildly. It's mostly a matter of personal taste. It is so much fun to get a new deck and really click with the images.

You really can't go wrong with anything that tickles your fancy. I would search the forum threads to read about the decks that people are using now, or you can browse profiles to see what people list as their favorites. Research the decks to see what the images are like and read people's reviews of them. Well this is what I do anyway.

I think of the main Tarot systems as being the Rider Waite Smith, the Thoth deck, the Tarot de Marseilles and then the old decks like Visconti and Eteilla etc... Most of the decks published today seem to be based off of the Rider Waite system so you should have plenty of decks to choose from if you want to continue with a variation that system.

OaksWhispering

Perhaps getting a deck that is a RWS clone/inspired but has artwork you are drawn to will be a good idea. I began studying tarot almost a year ago, and used what may as well be a clone with pretty artwork. I have never touched an actual RWS deck. But it worked well for me. And of course books, as well as the right videos on youtube will help you learn more layers to tarot.
I do not know what sort of artwork you like, so I can't really suggest any decks for you, but this site has a large list of cards in many different categories.
If you see one you are considering, it would be really helpful to check up a review video of that deck on youtube, so you can see the deck in action.

Celtictarot

I've not touched a RWS deck either. I thought I was the only one. I concur with what is being said here and Listen to what deck draws you in. There will be many purists who say "If you own the RWS decks, that is enough for you!"