New Orleans RECAP - Keyword Thread - Look how far we have come!

Little Baron

Hi Grip

The artist's artwork was what drew me to both the NOVT and the Enochian. I had been going through the Enochian in a store in London for a long time, on many visits. The pictures really grabbed me and I felt that it was something I could get really involved in. I can understand that feeling of not getting out of them though. They are quite hypnotic.

I kept considering buying it and in the end, I didn't, but managed to get it in a trade. The deck comes with a small volume but you glean next to nothing from that. It appears [and I stress the word 'appears' as I believe that anything is tackle-able after out delving into the New Orleans] impossible to work with, but I am sure study would help. In this one, however, I think extra reading material would be a must. I, personally, would not know where to start. There are thirty cards in the Enochian major arcana, for a start. And the minors have little to no bearing on any kind of known tarot tradition [by a long shot]. I know nothing of Enochian magic, also. One for the backburner maybe.

I love the Mystic Sea illustrations, but with little responses, my interest did fall a bit in terms of study here. But with the 78 Weeks study, my interest and enthusiasm for the Margarete Petersen has gotten stronger and stronger. I can just look at those cards for ages and ages. And I can read them. Like the NOVT, I thought it would be a completely unreadible deck, but it is offering up surprise after surprise. I have had a nice afternoon with it, actually. I laid the cards out on the living room floor and have been watching 'My So Called Life' as I played with the MP cards. As each episode played, I pulled and put together cards that I felt described the epidode. I was pulling out 'feathers' and 'flames', 'cups' and 'coins', 'fathers' and 'sons', 'mothers' and 'majors'. Many find the MP to be a deck where the images are either all the same or sludgy, but it really opens up with play. There are faces and figures within those pictures that you don't see at first. And then, they hit you - little figures in sailing boats, hidden somewhere behind stroke after stroke. Eyes amongst paint. Shadows of people. It is like scrying a ball or bowl of black ink. I am so pleased, as with the NOVT, that I took a chance on the MP. It really has been unlike any other tarot deck I own.

LB

[As for kids clothes, I am just experimenting with making at the moment. I am a menswear designer for a large highstreet store over here and design casualwear, but I have other people to make up the garments. I bought a new machine recently and wanted to get back into making clothes. Just for fun. To ease myself in, I thought I might try kidswear.]

Grip Dellabonte

Well that danged Margarete Petersen has me obsessing over it, but I have not seen it for a price I can afford ($53.00 is the average that I've found). (Not and feed my children, though I did weigh heavily both options!).
Sooooo.....Enochian and MP on the backburner because I have neither (but the Enochian is affordable if we do decide to go that way).
We can compare decks, see what we have in common and take it from there if you want.
I just am having so much fun!
And how cool that you're a designer. Very creative, but I hear it is TOUGH work!

I love how you described watching "My So Called Life", and having all the relatable cards coming up at the same time. You must be really attuned to that deck.

Little Baron

Grip Dellabonte said:
I love how you described watching "My So Called Life", and having all the relatable cards coming up at the same time. You must be really attuned to that deck.

It's funny because I only started working with it recently. But it speaks to me. I went through all of the cups as I was watching MSCL and they seemed apt. The show, like the deck, tapped into my emotional memories as both triggered me to think about previous crushes, loves, heartbreaks and losses. Water flows through the suit very nicely. I can actually feel the depth, which in my mind, is like being submerged in a great pool of water - dark in places, foamy and light in others, as it rushes past my ears and distorts my hearing to a point where I have to just trust that which is not audible. It touches me more than a lot of decks because it does allow me to venture further into the images than a lot of the traditional packs. I don't need to think. I just feel. This is a new experience for me. And I have to say that I like it. There is none of that 'what does this one mean, again?'. It's a sensory experience.

The New Orleans touches something else. It is raw in many ways and upfront. I am not sure that I could read with it daily. I think it might be a little too abraisive for that. But when called for, I think it talks plain and simple. It gives advice, if that is what you seek.

Yes, I think the Enochian is definitely for the backburner. I like some of the images. But I do have my reservations. In total, many of the pictures are darker than the New Orleans. They are more sombre. The NOVT has moments of sheer beauty, but the Enochian lacks as much hope, in my mind, which I think could be depressing for a deck that someone might want to use regularly.

LB

Grip Dellabonte

Okay. So where do you want to go next? Somewhere a bit lighter than NOVT?

Little Baron

I think that at the moment, I am quite happy with the balance of lightness and darkness that exists in the decks I am using. I will definitely be giving time to the Enochian but probably not for a while. I want to become competant with the NOVT and also use the MP for deeper 'standard' reads. These two are my priority for the time being.

LB

Grip Dellabonte

Okay. Fair enough.

Little Baron

What will be your next challenge after the NOVT, Grip? I think this study is teaching us that anything is possible.

LB

Grip Dellabonte

Well, I have a friend who just talked me into doing the Harmonious with her on the board because it was one of my first decks and she just recently got it herself. It's hard for her to get into.
That is not where I intended to go next.
I might study Navigators because that one also un-nerved me like the NOVT. I think my next serious study deck might be the MP but I will have to wait a little bit for that!
I just realized I have some pretty fluffy decks! So, I don't know.
I agree with you that I wouldn't work with the NOVT steadily. Right now, I just want to get to know it and then use it for specific types of deep work, I think.

Little Baron

Grip Dellabonte said:
Well, I have a friend who just talked me into doing the Harmonious with her on the board because it was one of my first decks and she just recently got it herself. It's hard for her to get into.
That is not where I intended to go next.
I might study Navigators because that one also un-nerved me like the NOVT. I think my next serious study deck might be the MP but I will have to wait a little bit for that!
I just realized I have some pretty fluffy decks! So, I don't know.
I agree with you that I wouldn't work with the NOVT steadily. Right now, I just want to get to know it and then use it for specific types of deep work, I think.

Absolutey. And I owe a lot of what I have gained to you, Grip. I would never have gotten this far without you, I don't think :) It really has been like a door opening. Rather than having the good old lwa slamming it right in your face, which is how it once felt.

I think the 'eights' have taken it out of me a bit. But I will continue to add to that thread and then start up one for the 'nines'. To be honest, whichever deck it is, I always find the later numbers harder to make sense of. So this is not that different in that sense.

I am looking forward to getting into both the courts and majors though. I think there will be so much symbolism for us to get into in the major cards. I am glad we left them to last. Usually, people study them first and lose momentum by the minors. This way, we have saved the big guns to keep us excited as a climax.

I am really looking forward to be able to read with this deck, properly. Like you, it wil be a reading I use sparingly. When someone wants a real good dose of honest and strong advice, I will pull it out. With candles and a little incense, I think it will be superb, don't you?!

LB

[and yes, save for the MP. I have been responding to other threads about that. It has a contrasting energy to this one, which makes it easy to work with both.]

Grip Dellabonte

"With candles and a little incense, I think it will be superb, don't you?!" Ha! I definitely agree with you! And maybe some tea. And maybe some rum for the loa!
That's a good point that the later numbers are a bit harder to "get". I didn't know that.
It was perfect that you set up doing it this way. In working with my friend I set it up the same way because it's worked so well for us. The court cards and majors are going to be like dessert!

In talking about the boxes last night - and you working with the MP - it came to me that you are in a watery phase, sort of. Your box is very blue and watery and you said a lot of MP cards that came up for you were watery (plus, I think there are a lot of emotions in MSCL, isn't there? I didn't get to watch it much when it was on regularly - conflicted with my study schedule).

Whereas my box is somewhat earthy.....maybe I'm stuck in the mud! HA!