The Incidental Tarot

The Happy Squirrel

hi agviz. i noticed that the suits have been renamed to arrow (baton), quill (sword), rose (cup), and oak (coin). what kind of divergence which you found tricky to start of with if you don't mind sharing? thanks! :)

agviz

The minors I was able to figure out; it was some of the majors that stumped me. I didn't know what to make of the extra cards (Labyrinth, Ariadne), and didn't understand the new references to some cards like the Magician (now The Red King). Had I read the descriptions on the site beforehand, I would have better understood those changes. The site is pretty helpful.

The Happy Squirrel

So two months after I said I was going to get this deck, I finally bought them.

There are other decks out there with extra cards like this deck. Silicon Dawn comes to mind, and OMG. Blew my mind.

I used to think that surely you leave them out, but then I noticed that some people include them in their readings. Apparently this expands their explorations considerably.

I think I have finally accepted that maybe I not so much a beginner than a dabbler, a dabbler who collects tarot cards. I will most likely never really read, and will always go to someone else for that. So I thought why not take a look at this one, and see what's there to explore. The more unusual the deck the better, providing I like them visually. I fancy myself an anthropologist of the mind :D So I will antropologise and come back with some thoughts once they arrived.

VioletEye

I think I have finally accepted that maybe I not so much a beginner than a dabbler, a dabbler who collects tarot cards. I will most likely never really read, and will always go to someone else for that. So I thought why not take a look at this one, and see what's there to explore. The more unusual the deck the better, providing I like them visually. I fancy myself an anthropologist of the mind :D

well, there's nothing wrong with that! :)
and if that's the case, this deck looks perfect for you. it's really lovely, and with all of its idiosyncrasies, it looks like there's plenty to delve into.
i actually have several decks like that - cards that i know i'll probably never actually read with, but that i'm interested in learning about. i feel that this deepens my understanding of tarot in general, so hey!
i'm glad you decided to go for it!

The Happy Squirrel

well, there's nothing wrong with that! :)
and if that's the case, this deck looks perfect for you. it's really lovely, and with all of its idiosyncrasies, it looks like there's plenty to delve into.
i actually have several decks like that - cards that i know i'll probably never actually read with, but that i'm interested in learning about. i feel that this deepens my understanding of tarot in general, so hey!
i'm glad you decided to go for it!

Indeed :D I am glad you think so too. Because I kept thinking will this read well? And then I thought well how would I know...?? So I decided that because it is calling me, I should answer and see where it takes me :)

As a dabbler, I am having a blast reading books about tarot, and tarot history, and its association with the archetypes, looking through Jung's books and the old Visconti decks, Marseilles, as well as ultra modern and post modern decks and explore not only other people's stories but they explorations of their own stories........ It has been fascinating!!

The Happy Squirrel

It finally arrived.

All the cards are already laid out on the website so there were so surprises.
Left to be examined and determined were card stock quality, texture, and hand feel.

For my own personal taste, the card stock quality is average to good. The colouring vibrant, and the art exactly as pictured and advertised.

The changing of suits to arrows (batons), roses (chalices), oaks (coins), and quills (swords) are interesting. Arrows = Fire, Roses = Water, Oaks = Earth, Quills = Air. OK make sense to me.

The suit that gives me most pleasure is the suit of Roses. Its transmutation from water feels very appropriate, even though I would not have thought of Roses in the first instance when thinking of chalices or water.

As I suspected, I love the pips more than the majors. I do generally dislike depictions of humans in my cards anyway (other than the Soprafino and those by Daniloff) so there is that.

In the pips, the 10s are always depicted with a door in the background, and the aces are depicted as keys. Interesting. Tens are transitions to the next plain, and the aces are the start of opening this journey? Wonderful.

The world is depicted with a shadow like figure of a woman. Not sure about this one.

Judgement is Awakening. OK. But it feels like there is a lack of the element of transformation here.

The Sun, The Moon,

The Star is The Grail....... hm....

The Tower is Phoenix..... In my mind the Phoenix is what I see when I see the Death card. So this is throwing me off a little bit....For me the Tower is the destruction of what is known, while Death is the end of a certain existence. Similar on a glance, but very different.

Death is just Death here, a skeleton. With new greens breaking through it. OK. So there is a new life beginning and emerging from what has ceased to be. Something different. It is not the skeleton renewing itself. It is a depiction of an ending and of a beginning, but not of the same thing.

Before Death there are

Chimera and Polarity in place of the Devil and Temperance.

I don't get the Chimera........ A monster made out of different animals? The animal(s) side of us?

Polarity, for me, Temperance has always been about balancing and bridging that Polarity and not Polarity in itself....... So, not sure about this one.

I love Eclipse the most. This is here in place of the Hanged Man.

Justice, and then Wheel of Fortune is Triskelion here..... Not sure.....

Hermit is Blue Buddha.... OK Buddha, enlightenment, hermit. I suppose I see the connection there.

Gryphon for Strength. Not sure.....

Cathedral = Hierophant ...OK, pretty straight forward I guess.

Magician = Red King..... Again, not sure.....

Two extra cards: Ariadne and The Labyrinth.... Not sure....

Note that I do not have the book to explain all the images. So this is me trying to make sense of them at first glace, or in other words, to see what my intuition is telling me when I look at them. I literally took the deck out and flip the cards one by one, and wrote this.

The Reader7

Funny thing, I came across this Deck on my Tarot hunt last night and just added it to my "Favourite Tarot Decks" on my Profile here! :p

I can't comment much about the Deck. It certainly is appealing, but $40.00 for the Gift Set is a bit too much for my current financial position (and I still have to pay off two Decks that are yet to arrive in the next few weeks, yes, I am a hoarder). That being said, the artwork looks like a cross between Sharman-Burke's Mythic Tarot and Chatriya's Fenestra Tarot? Didn't quite like how some of the images, like Strength, were interpreted and I wish the artist just stuck to the Traditional Name of the MAs, but other than that, I'd love to have this Deck as part of my collection somewhere down the line.

How nicely does the Deck shuffle for you?

The Happy Squirrel

The deck is on the wide side. BUT, with my small hands, most decks are on the wide side! So I don't think this is a problem.

I have a swirl test. I stack them up and with one finger placed on the centre of the top of the deck I do a circular motion. If the deck swirl smoothly, I call this sufficient 'liquidity' :p and this usually indicate good shuffling, without actually shuffling.

This, has good 'liquidity' :D It shuffles well :)

agviz

I concur with Happy Squirrel - shuffles well but is a tad large. I'm thinking of trimming the white borders and bringing down the size; plus I think the deck will look nicer. If I can get to it...

The Happy Squirrel

agviz, would love to see how that turns out :)
but how are you going to keep a rounded corners without cutting into the black line on the yellow frame? If you want to round them without cutting that bit, then you will be forced to leave a little bit of white all around and that would be a bit strange looking no?