Which deck would you recommend to a writer?

Gulliver

Starlightexp and Rhinemaiden, how interesting are your suggestions!

Le Fanu, would it mind you to tell a bit more about this deck? Sounds promising.

William Blake! For the creative process.

DarkYarns

Another non-tarot suggestion, Dixit is a fantastic story telling game, that uses beautiful, mostly interesting, and sometimes really strange illustrations to prompt the players to tell stories. You can buy the entire game, but just expansion cards are also available. I suppose your choice depends on which types of images inspire you. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-DX01U...&ie=UTF8&qid=1411136672&sr=1-1&keywords=dixit

Celtictarot

Mystic Faerie is another one as the minors each have their own story per suit.

GlitterNova

How about a collab deck like the Light Grey Tarot? http://lightgreyartlab.com/tarot-mystics-and-the-occult/
Each card is made by a different artist, so each has its own unique 'feel'. One card could be a bloody, realistic pencil sketch while the next might be a cute child-like cartoon. It would allow you to explore different 'genres' of storytelling, so to speak.

jolie_amethyst

Any deck you want. Seriously. I have a handful of very different decks, and I've tried them all in fiction writing related spreads. I think any deck you work well with is good for story work. Certain characters seem drawn to specific decks in my collection, but for the most part, any deck will give me what I need. Really, it's just like reading on physical world events or people.

That said, I'm really enjoying using the Tyldwick for this sort of thing since it arrived. There's a tremendous amount to explore in each of those cards.

More "outside the Tarot box": the Rory's Story Cubes listed above have several booster packs worth picking up for near endless combinations. And I'll add the Story Forge cards, also available through Amazon. http://amzn.com/1937002225 I'll often draw a Story Forge card and a Tarot card for each named position in a spread, then work to interpret them together within the confines of that positional meaning. It's produced some very thought provoking results!

seedcake

Tarot of Metamorphosis - there's a lot of references to literature and paintings. 'Cause so many different subjects, it's hard for reading as a "fortune-telling" for example. I think it'll be great for such a kind of work.

Mona Lisa Tarot - it's a kind of puzzle and I love this a bit dark artwork. You'll find that this deck is telling its own story of Mona Lisa.

Gulliver

Oh, now I have the choice. After I wrote the question, I really thought, every deck would do that, I really agree with you, Jolie_amethyst. I'll check out all of your recommendations. A collab deck is a good idea too, GlitterNova. Lot of good ideas from you! Thanks so much!

I use the tarot more for creative purposes, at least I think to do it so. Not easy to choose one of the decks (I think one should be enough).

nisaba

I'm looking for inspiring decks with depth and many layers. Not for divination, but for story telling. Which is the first deck you are thinking of if you see the question?

I'm very curious.

I actually didn't think of a "first deck". My first thought was to silently bless the fact that I, as a writer, have some 160 decks at my disposal.

Variety. Have lots. And browse through them all.

BrownBear

I would be curious to know how you intend to use the cards. I am a novelist and I have never gotten much use out of them compared to pure old-fashioned plotting tools.