Social Tarot

Tanga

I tend to see things rather simply that precludes arbitrary guesswork. What can I say other than my experience with the cards is that they are accurate. The major arcana is archetypal imagery, which are not figments of the imagination. If you feel my underwear is in a knot, then perhaps we will never be on the same page. Frankly, it is irrelevant to me. I only say what I say for whatever it is worth to whomever cares to listen. Perhaps if you decide to be serious about the cards someday you will see it my way.

I can't walk in your shoes (though I can try). I can only walk in mine. And that's the whole point.
We each present our own experience, and work from our own assumptions.
That's why I wrote "IMO". :)

Here is your assumption:
...Perhaps if you decide to be serious about the cards someday you will see it my way and find you don't care to have it both ways.

I have removed the "knickers" part of my post. My apologies for inadvertent offense caused.
(written conversation can be tricky).

And we're going off topic. :)

gregory

Not entirely off topic (And I want to see the knickers bit !)

Of course, not everyone needs to take the tarot cards seriously, especially if you do not see them as a connection to the spiritual world. They can be taken frivolously if you don't expect them to take you seriously.

The cards CAN be read in a shallow and frivolous way - and quite honestly - that's OK by me when people demand readings at a party where everyone - probably even including the reader - is probably at least half a sheet to the wind. I don't myself see the cards as a "connection to the spiritual world" as such, but I do take "real" reading very seriously - and I would NOT be prepared to do that in party mode. But if I were capable of it - which I'm not - "fun" readings on not very vital issues at a party would work OK; no-one would - or should - expect to get a Great Reading and no-one could, or should take them that seriously. Most things in life can be taken at many different levels in context.

But being hit with a sudden request for the Real McCoy, out of the blue over breakfast - no. Just NO !

Ruby Jewel

I can't walk in your shoes (though I can try). I can only walk in mine. And that's the whole point.
We each present our own experience, and work from our own assumptions.
That's why I wrote "IMO". :)

Here is your assumption:

I have removed the "knickers" part of my post. My apologies for inadvertent offense caused.
(written conversation can be tricky).

And we're going off topic. :)

It's all good. Take care.

Ruby Jewel

Not entirely off topic (And I want to see the knickers bit !)

The cards CAN be read in a shallow and frivolous way - and quite honestly - that's OK by me when people demand readings at a party where everyone - probably even including the reader - is probably at least half a sheet to the wind. I don't myself see the cards as a "connection to the spiritual world" as such, but I do take "real" reading very seriously - and I would NOT be prepared to do that in party mode. But if I were capable of it - which I'm not - "fun" readings on not very vital issues at a party would work OK; no-one would - or should - expect to get a Great Reading and no-one could, or should take them that seriously. Most things in life can be taken at many different levels in context.

But being hit with a sudden request for the Real McCoy, out of the blue over breakfast - no. Just NO !

I find a lot of things in the cards that others might not. It's all okay. You guys are cool...not to worry too much about me. Maybe I need to go to more parties. (laugh)

Barleywine

I tend to limit my tarot frivolity to thinking up silly-but-suitable names for my spread creations, although the spreads themselves usually have no sense of humor at all. I doubt I would ever hire out to be a "party reader" even if I were going to be the only sober one there. I'm not a snob about it, the idea just doesn't appeal to me. I suppose if tarot reading were a major source of income for me I would think differently. But I'm not especially approachable even at parties (I like the fringes and don't mingle much), so there is little opportunity for this to happen. As far as "finding stuff" in the tarot, I think of it the way a Graham Chapman character once suggested about how to be a successful Shakespearean actor: "All of the words" (or in this case the insights and inspirations) "are there already, you just have to get them in the right order."

But don't take me too seriously there! :joke:

EvaSegovia

I don't have this problem because I'm a hermit who doesn't read for others. However, if I did, I think I'd reply with, "Only if you allow me to read your deepest darkest secrets in front of all these others." ha-ha Of course this wouldn't work in a one-on-one situation, but still...

Barleywine

I don't have this problem because I'm a hermit who doesn't read for others. However, if I did, I think I'd reply with, "Only if you allow me to read your deepest darkest secrets in front of all these others." ha-ha Of course this wouldn't work in a one-on-one situation, but still...

I can see myself giving them my best Marty Feldman eyeball ogle and saying mysteriously "You have just entered the Twilight Zone." If that doesn't keep them away, nothing will. :D

JMI_Tarot

Or lay out some cards, then gather them up nervously saying, "Everything's fine. You're going to be JUST FINE. ..Is there anymore wine here?"

EvaSegovia

Heeheeheehee..... Bravo!

Carojulie

Would your friends announce an accountant to a gathering and insist that they do everyone's tax returns for entertainment?

This HAS happened occasionally, though not in a group-context, more people who know asking occasionally. I have a policy: if *I* offer a reading, it's free. If anyone *asks* for a reading, they pay the going rate. This is what I do for cash, it's that simple. Ask them if they'd insist that a plumber do their pipes for free or a mechanic fix their car for free. That makes people stop and reconsider their requests.

Unfortunately, in my experience, people DO insist on that kind of thing.

They insist even more if what they ask for is something you are good at but is not what you do for a living. It is like the fact that it is something you are enjoying to do as a "hobby" makes it even easier for them to ask that you do it for free.
Like they think "she should be glad I am asking, I am giving her an opportunity to do what she enjoys to do / to shine publicly !"

I am into music, though not professionaly, and also I love to sew and am good with a sewing machine. And I like tarot.
You have NO IDEA how often I get asked to play the piano, or to sing, or to perform a tarot reading, or to do someone's curtains for them, or matching pillows (And, once, when I gave in because I wanted to please someone, then the person was unhappy because the curtains were not exactly as they had expected.)

So now, when I am not in the mood for piano or singing or sewing or whatever, I just say it.
Said with a smile : "Sorry ! I dont feel like playing the piano right now !" " I have been smoking tonight so I cannot sing, sorry !" "I do not have my music scores !" "I will not have time to sew in the next weeks, I am sorry !" "I cannot lay my precious cards on this table with all the beer rings and the crumbs lying around, sorry !" "It's too noisy here for a reading !" "I have been drinking, sorry !"

But it takes practice to say no, and often people are surprised by your refusal. You have to be ready to have a reputation as someone "not very easy to deal with".

And even when it is your professional activity, many people do not mind asking, even in the middle of a dinner party.
I work for a national french administration in social services, and believe me, people ask me ALL THE TIME to give them information, treat their papers for them.... right in the middle of a party, even if I have never met them before. It is very tiresome.
Sometimes, I even get phone calls from total strangers (during weekends, preferably) saying "I am a friend of your cousin-twice-remote and he told me I could call you about my situation blablabla...."
It is difficult to say no, because, working in that field (social services) I feel like when people are in need of help, I should gve them the help.
But, it is so tiresome.
IAnd the services my company offer to the public is free anyway ! So I try to hint at the fact that they can call back the office during opening hours, and that the person at the desk who will answer them is as qualified as I am (or even more) for answering their needs, and that it is FREE....
It is true it is tiresome.

And, when I try to refuse politely, I often understand that the person is unhappy, and will spread the word that "I am not very nice".
Sight.

A solution that may work sometimes :
- I do not have my tarot cards with me
- I do not have my music scores with me
- I do not have my sewing machine with me
- I do not have my brain with me today

Or lay out some cards, then gather them up nervously saying, "Everything's fine. You're going to be JUST FINE. ..Is there anymore wine here?"

Yes ! LOL !!!