Why Tarot Readers Should Not Read Themselves

Emily

I do read mainly for myself. I do dailies and new deck spreads, when I get new decks :). I just read what I see, I don't try to manipulate the card meanings to get a better reading or ignore the bad cards. I'm not sure I would be able to read for others if I couldn't read for myself.

Morwenna

It's been quite a while since I've read for anyone else, but I do read for myself on occasion. But they are always analytical readings for me, never predictive ones. I learned long ago that I get too freaked out about predictive readings for me (that includes those done by other people), so I stick with analytical readings, and those are never sugar-coated; what they say is what I get. And they do slap me upside the head when I need it.

Yes, we are all different. I have a friend who's been reading playing cards, runes, grain casting, etc., for about half a century now and she refuses to read for herself; she claims she cannot do it. But that's her.

opaqued

I learned long ago that I get too freaked out about predictive readings for me (that includes those done by other people), so I stick with analytical readings, and those are never sugar-coated; what they say is what I get. And they do slap me upside the head when I need it.

This, so much this. I use Tarot for myself, for my personal growth, and I never ask any questions concerning predictive stuff, because that is 1) not something I really want to know 2) I get easily freaked out and every single time I think of the worst. I always do analytical, more 'what's out there for you' readings.

EmpyreanKnight

Many people have read for themselves over the years, and I don't think that a trail of broken lives had been observed from those who did. I don't think it has a negative supranatural effect.

On the other hand, I think self-readings might not be a good idea if you can't at the very least try to be impartial, when you can't help but obsess about the problem at hand, or if you pin important decisions upon it when you would probably be better served by seeking professional advice (like when you have pressing health concerns).

greatdane

I read tarot primarily for myself, sometimes for a close friend. I don't read tarot for divination, but rather as an exploration, perspective. I came to tarot more from a psychological, rather than predictive, aspect.

Trogon

I have learned a great deal, both about myself and about Tarot, by reading for myself. Perhaps I'm a little odd in that when I read for myself, I think of myself as a client and just try to be as objective as I can. I've learned to be pretty objective over the years. I don't think I've ever fallen into the trap of wishful thinking (giving myself too rosy of an interpretation) or being too harsh on myself either. Most of my readings relate to things I deal with on a day-to-day basis and so I usually see how well the cards (and my reading) fit with the day.

I've been kind of watching this thread for several days and I kind of wonder about it. I see that the person who put up the original post has only just posted that one time. It sparked a good discussion, it just makes me wonder ...