HOF- Most Challenging Card

nami

Ivy Rhiannon said:
I think the "oh no" is a challenging card. Not that it is hard to grasp just that something crazy happens whenever I draw it! LOL I was doing a reading exchange and had typed up a really long and in depth reading when I flipped over the last card, the oh no. I was sitting there staring at it thinking..."what the hell could this mean" when my computer shut off. o_O OOOOHHH NOOO! Still I'm fond of it for the memories xP

:O That's quite a story. XD I haven't had any unusual happenings with that card myself, but it amazes me how often peopel who read with either Froud deck will have stories like that.

Ivy Rhiannon said:
Some of the descriptions I think are way off.

I agree. I look at the cards and sit there wonder, "Um...what?? How did...?" I think the book unintentionally makes the whole deck a little more challenging because of that. The cards themselves do a wonderful job at conveying clear messages. I think part of the problem with the book descriptions is they feel too vague and stretched; the meanings are being pushed into these themes that don't always fit with the cards. I suspect that might also be why some cards have similar book meanings. With the Faeries' Oracle companion book, it felt like the groups and themes that arose came naturally, while here it feels more like the cards are being fitted into boxes to go with a theme. That's how it seems to me anyways.

I love the deck a lot though, even if the book isn't always the best at explaining the cards. The cards do a good job doing that on their own.

It's been a while since I started this thread, and while the Queen of Shadows isn't really challenging to me anymore, Shadows of the Past still gives me weird vibes every time it comes up. Now, I'd say I can see more clearly why that card gives me so much trouble, but I haven't overcome that obstacle yet. So there it is, stil reminding me of what I need to work on.

Ivy Rhiannon

I agree. I look at the cards and sit there wonder, "Um...what?? How did...?" I think the book unintentionally makes the whole deck a little more challenging because of that. The cards themselves do a wonderful job at conveying clear messages. I think part of the problem with the book descriptions is they feel too vague and stretched; the meanings are being pushed into these themes that don't always fit with the cards. I suspect that might also be why some cards have similar book meanings. With the Faeries' Oracle companion book, it felt like the groups and themes that arose came naturally, while here it feels more like the cards are being fitted into boxes to go with a theme. That's how it seems to me anyways.

I love the deck a lot though, even if the book isn't always the best at explaining the cards. The cards do a good job doing that on their own.

It's been a while since I started this thread, and while the Queen of Shadows isn't really challenging to me anymore, Shadows of the Past still gives me weird vibes every time it comes up. Now, I'd say I can see more clearly why that card gives me so much trouble, but I haven't overcome that obstacle yet. So there it is, stil reminding me of what I need to work on.

Lol well I wouldn't expect anything less from a faery deck! I don't have the other oracle deck, I might pick it up and give it a go.

But alas I do agree the descriptions sometimes are made to fit in a theme. Thank goodness the cards know what they are about! :p I was a little iffy to buy this deck or not, then got it as a present and I'm so glad I did!

Also I know what you mean, the cards I find the hardest time interpreting are the ones I am stuck on in my life as well!

nami

Lol well I wouldn't expect anything less from a faery deck! I don't have the other oracle deck, I might pick it up and give it a go.

Personally, I'd recommend the other Froud deck. The companion book is written by Jessica Macbeth, and I'd say the book meanings have more meat to them. It all comes down to personal preference though, as I know there are many users who found they liked this deck more than the first one. I think both decks are very beautiful, but have different feels to them.

But alas I do agree the descriptions sometimes are made to fit in a theme. Thank goodness the cards know what they are about!

Fitting artwork around a theme in Tarot and Oracle decks is pretty common. Luckily, this deck works well without it's book. I've found that there are many themed decks that just don't seem to be able to stand on their own within their theme, and even less so outside of it. There are plenty of exceptions, of course, like this deck.

Also I know what you mean, the cards I find the hardest time interpreting are the ones I am stuck on in my life as well!

I always take it as an opportunity to learn. It's never easy though, but I suppose that's the point.

With the other Froud deck, every couple of months, I'd go through and see if there was any card in particular that was giving me trouble or bothering me and sit down and think, "What is it about this card that's causing this? What's being reflected back at me that I need to deal with?" I've been doing this with this deck as well now. I'm glad to see that when I first started this thread, while there is still that one card that feels challenging, a lot of other cards don't feel that way anymore. It gives me a sense of accomplishment that I've managed to tackle some of those harder lessons I needed to learn.