Re-laminate Cards

rygD

I was thinking the same thing and dismissed it. They would lose the authentic look and feel, and they would be a little pricy. If that is acceptable, it is a great idea.

Are you ready for another possibly stupid idea? You have two decks and two methods you are considering, so get the spray and try it on the unused deck. Once it is all done shuffle and play with them for a few days to see if you are satisfied with the results. If so, do the worn deck very carefully. If not, check out the adhesive sheets and see if the surface finish is good enough. That one isn't my favorite option for the reasons I already mentioned.

I will keep thinking about it. I have another idea that is a bit out there that should help protect the cards without doing irreversible damage, however it will take away from the overall look and feel, and it requires an investment. Lemme check prices and re-read what you want before I mention it.

G6

Which One Is Better?

I was thinking the same thing and dismissed it. They would lose the authentic look and feel, and they would be a little pricy. If that is acceptable, it is a great idea.

Are you ready for another possibly stupid idea? You have two decks and two methods you are considering, so get the spray and try it on the unused deck. Once it is all done shuffle and play with them for a few days to see if you are satisfied with the results. If so, do the worn deck very carefully. If not, check out the adhesive sheets and see if the surface finish is good enough. That one isn't my favorite option for the reasons I already mentioned.

I will keep thinking about it. I have another idea that is a bit out there that should help protect the cards without doing irreversible damage, however it will take away from the overall look and feel, and it requires an investment. Lemme check prices and re-read what you want before I mention it.

I checked prices and I'm likely to go with the cheaper solution, which seems to be the spray.

Here's the links that I found on Amazon...

Avery Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets

https://www.amazon.com/Avery-Self-Adhesive-Laminating-Sheets-73601/dp/B00007E7D2

Krylon Acrylic Spray Varnish

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-1303-Acrylic-Crystal-11-Ounce/dp/B00023JE7K

Thoughts?????

This is a backburner project, so I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else pops in with more insight on either or???????

gregory

Laminating sheets of whatever type will make the cards CONSIDERABLY weightier. Of the two, I would run with the spray and test it on something first, so you are REALLY GOOD at it before you start ! But that Krylon says it is glossy... do you want glossy ?

I think Laura B can talk you through doing it :) She knows her stuff.

G6

Laminating sheets of whatever type will make the cards CONSIDERABLY weightier. Of the two, I would run with the spray and test it on something first, so you are REALLY GOOD at it before you start ! But that Krylon says it is glossy... do you want glossy ?

I think Laura B can talk you through doing it :) She knows her stuff.

I'm still waffling. Laura B didn't recommend taking a first try at the spray method with these cards. I could scan them first as a safety and if all else fails have them reprinted through one of the places she suggested.

It does seem like the self-adhesive sheets would be more uniform/less trouble.

Still thinking...

gregory

Less trouble but a much greater DIFFERENCE. I know Laura didn't suggest a first shot at these lovely cards - find an old birthday card of the same sort of consistency, and try that :)

She did say 30 inches rather than 12, which I thought very significant...

G6

Less trouble but a much greater DIFFERENCE. I know Laura didn't suggest a first shot at these lovely cards - find an old birthday card of the same sort of consistency, and try that :)

Yep, and thanks for noting the link is for glossy. I would use matte if I go the spray route.

G6

The wear on those does look great! I can see why you want to preserve it.

Just as a thought... you could scan them and have a fresh deck printed at Gamecrafter or Printer Studio. It would have the appearance of wear yet be brand new.

I don't have a scanner, so I would probably find someone I know that does. Are there any specs./tips on best scan practice/quality for cards?

Laura Borealis

If you go with laminating, I'd still practice on some cheap playing cards. I imagine there's a risk of wrinkling.

Here are a couple of resources on using fixative. They are talking about using it on art but the basics will be the same.

http://www.grumbacherart.com/pdf/fixative.pdf
http://drawsketch.about.com/cs/howtoindex/ht/sprayfixative.htm

Good points to remember:
-shake the can well!
-ventilation
-test the spray first in case the nozzle is clogged
-use light, even strokes
-clear your nozzle when you're done (by turning the can upside down and spraying a bit)

I also found this video which shows MISTAKES although it's not the artist's intention:

https://youtu.be/gD5H3DDLWlo?t=3m39s

-Notice she barely shakes the can :neutral:
-She holds it too close
-She isn't laying down an even coat (watch her hand motion)
-You can see how wet she gets the paper - not good!
-It wrinkles up really badly! :bugeyed: Especially in her oil pastel example
-Ugly blots too

Laura Borealis

I noticed in looking at tutorials that some said 12 inches... I would be more conservative myself, but I may be over-cautious. I'd say 24 inches at minimum though. Your mileage may vary and all that.

I don't have a scanner, so I would probably find someone I know that does. Are there any specs./tips on best scan practice/quality for cards?

Unfortunately I don't, I have not scanned for printing much. I'm sure someone here has that knowledge though, and there are no doubt some good online resources too.

ETA this might help: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=253015

gregory

Unfortunately I don't, I have not scanned for printing much. I'm sure someone here has that knowledge though, and there are no doubt some good online resources too.
I will talk you through it if you need to know :)