Tarot Ethics

Ruby Jewel

Hello. It can be argued that use of tarot is unethical regardless of the questions presented to the cards/spirits.

Also, if the question only involves the querent instead of a second party or even a third party it can still be "snooping" unless someone is asking for advice. Even when the querent is seeking advice on the best course of action it can be argued that seeking the tarot for this answer is unethical. It's life cheating yourself and the people with whom you are involved (in the situation of topic) out of one of life's learning experiences.

IMO ethics has no place in tarot readings. It's like people purchasing stolen goods complaining that the thief is selling the goods at an unreasonable price.

If I had to choose one thing that I consider to be unethical relative to tarot readings that would be the act of not reading reversals. There are cards such as the 5 of coins and 4 of coins amongst others that have completely different meanings when reading them reversed.

I think serving as a conduit between a person and their spiritual guide is a legitimate endeavor that deserves respect. If that is not the way you feel, then why would you read the cards in the first place. Nobody tells you to conduct yourself in an ethical manner. That is your choice. If you wish to ignore ethical considerations altogether, that is also your choice. The tarot, being basically benign as in the High Priestess, responds either way without judgment. Only you have to live with it. Regarding reversals, please be aware that many people who do not "read" reversals per se, nonetheless take both aspects of the card into consideration in a reading. It is all relative.

Grizabella

I'm NOT referring to anybody in this thread by any means. I'm speaking in general what I've thought and noticed about the ethics thing and "snooping".

I think sometimes the person who is holding forth with their "ethics" is kind of trying to come across as a cut above readers who don't. I don't know if it's to make themselves feel better on the third party thing because they're afraid they'll get those wrong and this exempts them from doing those or if they think appearing super-ethical they'll get chosen over other readers by clients or just why this is such an issue.

My feeling is that everyone knows where their own ethical boundaries are. None of us may agree with what's ethical by someone else's standards. But we should ALL respect other readers on that issue and stop trying to govern what other readers consider as ethical.

I haven't seen anyone posting in this thread who I believe falls under the category of the people I'm talking about in my second paragraph here and in fact, I can't think of any AT member outside this thread that I was thinking of. I wasn't---I'm just speaking in general of the topic here.

Ruby Jewel started a good topic here. I think it really bears discussion.

Ruby Jewel

As someone who has read over the phone for a fee, I have encountered people with psychological issues. I would not judge but would help that person back to reality. For instance, there was a girl who would call all of the time asking about a guy named Elliot. One day she would speak as though she was in a relationship and then a few days later it was clear to me that she had never been in a relationship with that person.

On one occasion she spoke of his mother as though she held a conversation with the woman in her home (the mother's home) and the next phone call she stated, "His mother looks like her name could be Jackie." Then she asked me to ask the cards if the woman's name was Jackie. At that point, I hit the brakes and put the car in reverse. I reminded her that she told me that she met the woman and I asked how could you have a relationship and several conversations with someone and not know that person's name.

I gave her my email address and offered her friendship because I felt that she was really living in her head and needed a friend or someone with whom she could converse. Did that stop her from calling? No, she moved on to the next reader. I know because I saw that she had left several entries of feedback for them. It's not always ignorance. It's pretty clear that there are querents with mental health issues but for some tarot is a profitable business. And, the damage was done before the querent had even made the phone call.

Ninevah, it is your call. I am not in a position to decide what is right or what is wrong, nor do I care to. Like I said, you are the one who lives with it, so it is up to you to make the call. Whatever you call, if it feels right then it must be ok.

Ruby Jewel

I'm NOT referring to anybody in this thread by any means. I'm speaking in general what I've thought and noticed about the ethics thing and "snooping".

I think sometimes the person who is holding forth with their "ethics" is kind of trying to come across as a cut above readers who don't. I don't know if it's to make themselves feel better on the third party thing because they're afraid they'll get those wrong and this exempts them from doing those or if they think appearing super-ethical they'll get chosen over other readers by clients or just why this is such an issue.

My feeling is that everyone knows where their own ethical boundaries are. None of us may agree with what's ethical by someone else's standards. But we should ALL respect other readers on that issue and stop trying to govern what other readers consider as ethical.

I haven't seen anyone posting in this thread who I believe falls under the category of the people I'm talking about in my second paragraph here and in fact, I can't think of any AT member outside this thread that I was thinking of. I wasn't---I'm just speaking in general of the topic here.

Ruby Jewel started a good topic here. I think it really bears discussion.

Hi Grizabella, as always your input is well received. You approach each subject from a personal perspective that is based on compassion and concern. However, I don't feel that anyone is playing a game of "one upmanship" here, but rather each person's thoughts deserve to be understood from an objective perspective. So, I only ask that you take what is being discussed at it's face value without projecting ulterior motives into the equation.

Mystica7

Getting accurate results as to the feelings or thoughts of another via Tarot, largely depends on the reader's detached state. So as far as I feel I am detached myself, I don't see anything wrong with peeking at someone else's heart, mind, whatever.

The ethics of the matter lies in what I actually do with this knowledge. I may well use it to protect myself and others (if asked) from harm this way.

Especially involving romantic questions, the practice stops me head on from fooling myself, if someone I'm invested in is obviously not interested. And it's also good to know when they are interested... As said 1000 times, Tarot is a tool and it gives us the opportunity to get in touch with our inner knowing, so that's when and how a reading resonates or not.

As for looking at other people's relationships (downright 3rd party readings), well I did that too for myself, but I'm wary of doing it for others, simply because I have zero information and know neither of the parties including the querent actually. Still though, we happened to get accurate results but the practice itself doesn't really click with me at this stage.

For myself, as I said, it's good for me to know and validate my inner voice.

As long as I don't harm anybody -including myself- it clicks ethically right and alright.

Could somebody do the same for me, yes sure! I've requested many readings for myself too and am grateful to some readers for providing me with accurate information and guidance.

My feelings or thoughts for someone -or for anyone- is not a secret. I already show and tell them :) and if they wonder further, Tarot or a reader will anyway tell them the same thing they feel...

People who are afraid of showing their true colors and of me revealing them, are the FIRST ones who actually pushes or challenges me to do a reading for them :)

Most don't even care, lol...

Ruby Jewel

Getting accurate results as to the feelings or thoughts of another via Tarot, largely depends on the reader's detached state. So as far as I feel I am detached myself, I don't see anything wrong with peeking at someone else's heart, mind, whatever.

The ethics of the matter lies in what I actually do with this knowledge. I may well use it to protect myself and others (if asked) from harm this way.

Especially involving romantic questions, the practice stops me head on from fooling myself, if someone I'm invested in is obviously not interested. And it's also good to know when they are interested... As said 1000 times, Tarot is a tool and it gives us the opportunity to get in touch with our inner knowing, so that's when and how a reading resonates or not.

As for looking at other people's relationships (downright 3rd party readings), well I did that too for myself, but I'm wary of doing it for others, simply because I have zero information and know neither of the parties including the querent actually. Still though, we happened to get accurate results but the practice itself doesn't really click with me at this stage.

For myself, as I said, it's good for me to know and validate my inner voice.

As long as I don't harm anybody -including myself- it clicks ethically right and alright.

Could somebody do the same for me, yes sure! I've requested many readings for myself too and am grateful to some readers for providing me with accurate information and guidance.

My feelings or thoughts for someone -or for anyone- is not a secret. I already show and tell them :) and if they wonder further, Tarot or a reader will anyway tell them the same thing they feel...

People who are afraid of showing their true colors and of me revealing them, are the FIRST ones who actually pushes or challenges me to do a reading for them :)

Most don't even care, lol...

One of my favorite quotes is about setting boundaries: "those who don't draw a LINE, don't DRAW a line." To me, 'ethics' in the tarot is about drawing a line and saying "I will do this, but I won't do that." Some people will say whatever is on the tongue, and some are more reserved. Much of our innate knowledge is intuitive. I feel that ethical considerations are intuitive. They have 'evolved' with the human race. No one need tell you what is right or wrong, when to speak or when to hold your tongue..... but times come when we have to "remind" ourselves of what we know intuitively. That is the reason I started this thread. Our choices are our private concern....just as is our karma.

Nineveh

I think serving as a conduit between a person and their spiritual guide is a legitimate endeavor that deserves respect.

That is your opinion.

If that is not the way you feel, then why would you read the cards in the first place. Nobody tells you to conduct yourself in an ethical manner.

Why read? It's a hobby-something I do to pass time.

That is your choice. If you wish to ignore ethical considerations altogether, that is also your choice. The tarot, being basically benign as in the High Priestess, responds either way without judgment. Only you have to live with it. Regarding reversals, please be aware that many people who do not "read" reversals per se, nonetheless take both aspects of the card into consideration in a reading. It is all relative.

Those people have a choice to not read reversals. Like I said, IF I were to have to identify an aspect of tarot that is unethical it would be the act of ignoring that the card was reversed during the draw. I am free to feel that way. There are actually a few reasons people don't read reversals with one being that most reversed cards are negative (in their opinion). Can the truth ever really be negative?

Other people feel that they are too new at reading tarot to read reversals. At the end of the day, I simply prefer that they not read for me if they will turn the card right side up when it was clearly reversed.

Ruby Jewel

That is your opinion.

Why read? It's a hobby-something I do to pass time.

Those people have a choice to not read reversals. Like I said, IF I were to have to identify an aspect of tarot that is unethical it would be the act of ignoring that the card was reversed during the draw. I am free to feel that way. There are actually a few reasons people don't read reversals with one being that most reversed cards are negative (in their opinion). Can the truth ever really be negative?

Other people feel that they are too new at reading tarot to read reversals. At the end of the day, I simply prefer that they not read for me if they will turn the card right side up when it was clearly reversed.

I see. Looks like you have it all worked out so I'll just leave it at that.

Nineveh

I feel that most professional tarot readers have ethical standards that take the possible psychological pathologies of their particular client under consideration. A lot of damage is done by unprofessional readers who are completely ignorant of the psychological ramifications of their prognostications. There is no need to presume this forum is made up of nonprofessional readers.

Ninevah, it is your call. I am not in a position to decide what is right or what is wrong, nor do I care to.

Well, I think you had already taken on that position when you posted the first quote. I quoted a statement that you made and simply responded to that post. The majority of readers will never know whether or not their querents are suffering from a mental health ailment or "psychological pathologies" as that would violate HIPPA laws.

I think this entire ordeal is a matter of respecting other people's views and practices. I can stand on the mountain top and yell about how much I think not reading reversals is wrong but it won't change anything. It's their right...

Lovely Thread! :)

Ruby Jewel

Well, I think you had already taken on that position when you posted the first quote. I quoted a statement that you made and simply responded to that post. The majority of readers will never know whether or not their querents are suffering from a mental health ailment or "psychological pathologies" as that would violate HIPPA laws.

I think this entire ordeal is a matter of respecting other people's views and practices. I can stand on the mountain top and yell about how much I think not reading reversals is wrong but it won't change anything. It's their right...

Lovely Thread! :)

Thanks Ninevah...I, too, think it is a great thread. It is quite true that many people will never know when a person has psychological issues, although, just as often as not, it is evident to many of us tarot readers who have a background in psychology. For instance, a neurosis is quite obvious, but a psychosis or schizophrenia often is quite well hidden. That is why I feel it is important to handle "unconscious" energies with great care following certain professional guidelines. Those guidelines are there for a reason....one can easily feed into a psychosis that has repercussions the reader will never know about. All one has to do is look at the news these days to see the results of a psychosis and schizophrenia. I feel the tarot can be a dangerous tool if handled arbitrarily or carelessly. I have had people break down in tears in a reading from relief.....or jump up and run out the door to their spouse in elation at the prospect of a pregnancy. They are at our mercy in so many ways...my concern is, do we readers realize this? We are each responsible for our belief structures which vary with each of us readers. I feel forums such as this offer us an opportunity to reassess those belief structures through our interactions, gaining knowledge and insight into the profession as we grow in individual skills. It is so important to approach this issue in a professional manner. I have learned that from this thread. I had no idea it would become so passionately "unwieldy"..... Now I know, and I will be careful in the future to word my posts with more sensitivity.