Imagery, symbols and reading

Yasmin

I'm still pretty new at reading. I enjoy the threads about the many symbols, colors and imagery but find it is overwhelming when I am still trying to pick up the basics.

My question is how do you use colors and symbols when you read the cards? I see pictures and stories when I read and I don't know how to use symbols like what kind of flower or sheaf is in the picture or what color is in the background. How do you apply these elements or incorporate them when reading? Any advice and insight would be helpful. Thanks! kelli

Abrac

Hi Yasmin,

You might have to use symbol dictionaries or the like. I try to learn everything I can about a symbol from every possible source, not just the "traditional" meaning. In the beginning it can be a slow and awkward process, but over time it will get easier and more natural.

Yasmin

Thank you Abrac. You're right--there are a lot of meanings for symbols out there. My gut says that maybe I should stick to learning to interpret the cards and then slowly integrate the symbols rather than try to do it all at once. I think that is what was overwhelming to me. Thank you for responding. :)

Cari

I have focused more on the imagines and then the symbols come more gradual. It's not something that is picked up right away because like you say, it's overwhelming. I feel that whenever I learn a new meaning about a symbol it adds to what I can read from a card.

Satori

HI Yasmin,

This is a great question, and I think you need to give yourself and your own understanding of symbols some more credit! I loved the Robin Wood book that accompanies her Tarot deck so much because she really talks about personal symbol sets so beautifully.

Basically, you need to really think about what the symbols in your favorite deck mean to you. What do the colors mean to you...the shapes, and so on.

If you personally think of certain colors as meaning something different than intended in a deck, how can you just suddenly shift and adopt a new definition? Your own personal views are really more important than the book definitions!

That isn't to say that you can't adopt new meanings, just that before you decide to throw away your own personal views, take a moment first to see where the parallels are.

People sometimes get to the point of creating decks because they need to create their own symbols for things, color things in a way they understand, add in certain things that will help them remember what the cards mean and so forth.

I recommend you read the Robin Wood, and look at her deck. It isn't for everyone, but the book is acutally a great resource and fascinating look at this very question.

Good luck!

Yasmin

Satori,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Since the original post, I have done two amazing things that have made ALL the difference in my reading and confidence. First, I went to Reader's Studio in May. WOW! The feedback and encouragement made me realize that I'm not so far off base and that I'm on the right track. Second, I bought Rachel's "78 Degrees of Wisdom." I had not purchased the book before now because I heard it was not for "beginners." I just want to say that I would have never quit thinking of myself as a beginner without this book! It has been the perfect book for dealing with the symbols, colors and imagery. I have been able to incorporate it into my reading--which has lead me to enjoy tarot even more!

RS also was the most nurturing experience I could have ever had. I grew so much with my deck and with myself! (not to mention the friendships I made!)