The High Priestess and the Magician as a couple...

Hitch

What kind of couple is this, to you? Is this a couple that can manifest their desires very quickly and easily?

One with the inner knowledge and wisdom (HP) next to the person who can manifest all of his desires and her's?

What say you? Ultimate couple or no?

Thirteen

The Magician doesn't actually "Make" things real. Rather, he gives you ways to make things real. Like if you said, "I want to create a machine that does X..." He's say, "Here's ways you can do it." And you'd say, "Wow! That's exactly what I needed to get started." He is the spark, the motivation. And the HPS gives you the knowledge you're lacking, the next step in making it real. She is the person who says, "Here is what is going to work best and why. Can you feel how right that is?" And. You say, "Gosh, yes. My instincts say I need to start putting things together this way...and this information on how the parts fit really helps...look, it's coming together!"

Putting it another way, the Magician is fertilizes the egg so that it can become a bird, (takes that idea you've got and shows you how it can be made real). The HPS is nest and warmth and food within the egg that allows the hatchling within to become a bird (inner knowledge, intuition, all those things you need to gather to help make it real). The Empress is that egg hatching and the bird coming out (it's real! But still needs work)--she is the momma bird feeding it and keeping it safe until it's old enough to leave the nest. From there, the Emperor will teach the fledgingling how to fly, and the Hierophant how to be part of the flock.

So, a Magician & HPS couple is more R&D--research and development. Nothing will be made "real" or manifest, but that's okay. They don't need to manifest/make real the ideas. They're happy to enjoy the process of ideas/information. Their desire *is* to exchange ideas/information.

Is that what you're after, or are you asking about them sexually? ;) As for "ultimate" couple. That depends on what you think is the "ultimate." To some this would be the ultimate. To others--more Empress/Emperor like, for example, this wouldn't be enough.

Barleywine

How about cerebral and distracted? Forgive my cheekiness, but they sound like the ideal Shaker couple - you know, the 18th-century religious sect that forbade sexual congress between its members, so it should have lasted precisely one generation - but it has actually endured in vanishingly small numbers to the present day. :)

hermit-IX

Is this a couple that can manifest their desires very quickly and easily?
that is exactly how i would describe it. high priestest would have deep desires and the magician would know how to manifest them.

Thirteen

Priest/Nun is more apt than Shakers

How about cerebral and distracted? Forgive my cheekiness, but they sound like the ideal Shaker couple - you know, the 18th-century religious sect that forbade sexual congress between its members, so it should have lasted precisely one generation - but it has actually endured in vanishingly small numbers to the present day. :)
The Shakers actually did very, very well. Their numbers swelled over the generations up through the 19th century and only started to shrink after the American Civil War. It wasn't, precisely, the religion's requirement of chastity that put an end to it (though it certainly would have helped if they could have passed it on to children). The religion relied on an agrarian population. Thus, they had an appeal for farmers who couldn't make it on their own, as here was a commune of well organized farmers, all working together to bring in crops and such. All wealth and work was pooled, and so everyone prospered equally.

It was communism at its purest. Whatever you needed you were given—food, clothes, bed, medicine. No more, no less. A lifetime of security without ever having to worry about earthly necessities so long as you did your share of the work. But once there were factory jobs for poor people to make money at, and farmers had ways to plow their fields with machines and such and, thus, solitary farmers had ways to avoid crop failure, the Shakers lost that appeal. And so they shrank away.

As for your point, however, actually no. The Shakers were anti-cerebral (their founder, a blacksmith's daughter and textile mill worker, was illiterate). They were all about doing—farming, weaving, carpentry—being self-sustaining. Pure Pentacle suit. :D The Shaker motto was "hands to work, heart to God." They prayed and they worked, and the only thing they read was the gospel. They did have lively discussions...but rarely cerebral ones.

A Priest/Monk and Nun is more in line with what you're after. As Priests/Monks in the middle ages were often the only scholar class, even Kings being illiterate. Ditto nuns, which was where educated women went—and often the only place where they had power and autonomy. There were some very brilliant and cerebral Monks and monk life did allow for some to be pure scholars. Likewise nuns. So. Priest and Nun is more apt.

Barleywine

The Shakers actually did very, very well. Their numbers swelled over the generations up through the 19th century and only started to shrink after the American Civil War. It wasn't, precisely, the religion's requirement of chastity that put an end to it (though it certainly would have helped if they could have passed it on to children). The religion relied on an agrarian population. Thus, they had an appeal for farmers who couldn't make it on their own, as here was a commune of well organized farmers, all working together to bring in crops and such. All wealth and work was pooled, and so everyone prospered equally.

It was communism at its purest. Whatever you needed you were given—food, clothes, bed, medicine. No more, no less. A lifetime of security without ever having to worry about earthly necessities so long as you did your share of the work. But once there were factory jobs for poor people to make money at, and farmers had ways to plow their fields with machines and such and, thus, solitary farmers had ways to avoid crop failure, the Shakers lost that appeal. And so they shrank away.

As for your point, however, actually no. The Shakers were anti-cerebral (their founder, a blacksmith's daughter and textile mill worker, was illiterate). They were all about doing—farming, weaving, carpentry—being self-sustaining. Pure Pentacle suit. :D The Shaker motto was "hands to work, heart to God." They prayed and they worked, and the only thing they read was the gospel. They did have lively discussions...but rarely cerebral ones.

A Priest/Monk and Nun is more in line with what you're after. As Priests/Monks in the middle ages were often the only scholar class, even Kings being illiterate. Ditto nuns, which was where educated women went—and often the only place where they had power and autonomy. There were some very brilliant and cerebral Monks and monk life did allow for some to be pure scholars. Likewise nuns. So. Priest and Nun is more apt.

Thanks, that's great stuff and fills in the gaps in Wikipedia. I was thinking strictly along the lines of your sexuality comment in the previous post, but the education is appreciated.

Thirteen

Thanks, that's great stuff and fills in the gaps in Wikipedia. I was thinking strictly along the lines of your sexuality comment in the previous post, but the education is appreciated.
I visited a shaker village about 4 years ago and found them really fascinating—also sparingly beautiful. If you get a chance to see one, you should. Though men and women did different work, they were held as equals--their founder, Ann Lee, was a woman. So there were always two male and two female leaders with equal power over each Village. It was as close to sexual equality as you could get in the late 18th-19th century.

Really a fascinating "cult."

Barleywine

I visited a shaker village about 4 years ago and found them really fascinating—also sparingly beautiful. If you get a chance to see one, you should. Though men and women did different work, they were held as equals--their founder, Ann Lee, was a woman. So there were always two male and two female leaders with equal power over each Village. It was as close to sexual equality as you could get in the late 18th-19th century.

Really a fascinating "cult."

We used to have a communal working farm here in New Hampshire that was clearly established along the same lines, but I don't think it was specifically described as "Shaker." According to Wiki there is only one marginally thriving community left in the world, the rest are historical sites.