Tarot Timing (Again or Still)

Barleywine

Interesting article! I do believe I've witnessed its use a few times around the Your Readings forum, now that you've mentioned it. It brought to mind the idea of performing a non-questioned reading, perhaps more in a Lenormand-style. That is, purposely taking the Wheel out of the deck and simply placing it above a later drawn three-card spread, essentially a 'forced' timing reading with the Wheel "Quint" as the significator for "changes and when they happen" essentially.

Here is an example of what I mean:

Chosen Quint: Wheel of Fortune - to signify changes and when they may occur

3-card draw (I chose cards that would add to the Wheel Quint for this example):

(I read wands=days, cups=weeks, swords=months, pentacles=years.)

6 of Swords + Ace of Pentacles + 3 of Cups

With the Wheel in mind, I might say something like, "Six months ago you found yourself leaving or being removed from a troubling situation. You sought to put troubles behind you, and began looking for better days" (let's say). "Currently, there is a source of money or security in the balance; you may be wondering if you are going to get all that you are owed or deserve as a result of this past situation." (Ace of Pentacles/1year) "You are only about halfway there to gaining what you deserve or are owed (elements/timing between 6+Ace). "You will have cause to celebrate by getting new money/what you deserve" (elements between Ace+3), "but it is not likely to happen as soon as within the next 3 weeks" (Wheel's fire/3s water). "As mentioned, this may take approximately 6 more months to unfold in the best way possible for you" (6+Ace).

Now, I could experiment with this, whether the cards in the 3-card spread add to the Wheel or not... that is, make it a "forced" significator, like a charged card in Lenormand, and read the cards as I did here with the 6, Ace, and 3.

What do you think?

I'm heading out soon to a Voyager Tarot study group meeting. I'll respond in detail later, assuming I come back still in my right mind :D

Barleywine

This gave me an interesting idea:

Take three "timing" cards out of a separate deck; the Wheel of Fortune (or maybe the Chariot) for "fast", Temperance for "moderate;" the Hanged Man for "slow."

Shuffle them face down and then lay them out face-up in the past/present/future positions.

Shuffle the reading deck and deal out the spread in the normal way, on top of the "timing" cards.

Blend the "speed" of each underlying "timing card with the nature of the reading card to get an idea of the rapidity of the event indicated.

Alternatively, after shuffling, pull only one of the three "timing" cards face-down and put it in the outcome position of any spread you're using. When laying the spread, place the outcome card on top of the "timing" card and blend their natures.

Just a few random thoughts. Giving me ideas can be a dangerous thing! :D

Amanda

This gave me an interesting idea:

Take three "timing" cards out of a separate deck; the Wheel of Fortune (or maybe the Chariot) for "fast", Temperance for "moderate;" the Hanged Man for "slow."

Shuffle them face down and then lay them out face-up in the past/present/future positions.

Shuffle the reading deck and deal out the spread in the normal way, on top of the "timing" cards.

Blend the "speed" of each underlying "timing card with the nature of the reading card to get an idea of the rapidity of the event indicated.

Alternatively, after shuffling, pull only one of the three "timing" cards face-down and put it in the outcome position of any spread you're using. When laying the spread, place the outcome card on top of the "timing" card and blend their natures.

Just a few random thoughts. Giving me ideas can be a dangerous thing! :D

:laugh: Well I love it! Be dangerous, I totally encourage it! :D

I guess I was posting while you were; here is the method I proposed and I'm giving it a go to see how it turns out, if you're interested: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=4856542#post4856542

ScarlettQofW

Well this may sound strange because my method is not traditional - but I use my intuition and go off of what I can feel off of the whole spread and it seems to work. I look at repetition in #'s. If the spread has a lot of 6's for example that tends to indicate timing of sort - 6 days, 6 weeks, etc. If there's Major with the # as well - that's an even stronger indicator. If the Moon comes up - could indicate a Lunar cycle. So I read the whole spread to determine timing influences, not just individual cards/suits.

Barleywine

Well this may sound strange because my method is not traditional - but I use my intuition and go off of what I can feel off of the whole spread and it seems to work. I look at repetition in #'s. If the spread has a lot of 6's for example that tends to indicate timing of sort - 6 days, 6 weeks, etc. If there's Major with the # as well - that's an even stronger indicator. If the Moon comes up - could indicate a Lunar cycle. So I read the whole spread to determine timing influences, not just individual cards/suits.

This is basically how I work with the trumps and courts up to a point. I can't see excluding them as unsuitable for timing, so I use the visuals (mainly posture and movement) to clue me in on whether they are dynamic or static. They fell naturally into three categories, as modified by their astrological correspondences: seated; standing, often motionless; and mounted and/or moving in some way. The more mobility, the sooner the event.

I like the idea of looking for multiples of anything as well. I see Twos as faster than Tens, so a bunch of Twos in series leading up to a Ten might show a "hurry-up-and-wait" scenario.