Archangels

Always Wondering

I have long been taught the correspondence of four archangels to the elements. Now I am reading about ten archangels in correspondence of the Sephiroth on the Tree of Life, including the four. My question is do Raphael, Michael, Gabriel and Uriel hold more significance in the Golden Dawn system than the others? In searching the net I have only found references to a “lessor banishing ritual” in accordance with the Golden Dawn and the four archangels. Am I to understand then that correspondences to the archangels would be considered minor in this system?

AW

Grigori

I don't think they are considered minor, though the elemental associations might be considered the Archangels' lesser roles. But maybe also fundamental to most other things due to their importance in the LRP's.... *shrugs* The LRP is a primary ritual in the GD. Its the only ritual taught to GD members, so they know it inside out and are prepared by it before they progress to the actual magical work in the second order, which it forms the basis for.

The GD inscribe the names of the 4 element archangels on their 4 elemental tools, but restrict the use of the tools to elemental workings. (e.g the Fire Wand is not a general purpose wand, its only used for Fire jobs) For most ritual, other tools are the more important ones. If you were wanting to work with Michael as the Archangel of Fire, the equipment and procedure used might be very different to if dealing with Michael as Archangel of Hod. Almost like they are two different entities, as your working with them at different levels.

Does Uriel get a place on the Tree of Life? I always though they were left out of it somewhat.

Always Wondering

I backtracked my wild search and could not find where I read that about Uriel, or for that matter the assignments of the others. I did find where I read that Uriel corresponded to the truth and the middle pillar of the tree at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1896/qblhfaq.html . I also noticed that I got rather far away from golden dawn content leap frogging links and not paying close enough attention. :|

I have seen the archangels mentioned in 777 along with their tools, and I did not understand the multi level issue.

I will keep reading, and keeping better notes. But in the meantime I would love input.

AW

ravenest

" I did find where I read that Uriel corresponded to the truth and the middle pillar of the tree"

Somewhere (In the back of Book 4 Liber Abba ?) is a note on the pentagram ritual and it explains about direction and placement of archangels re; LBRP and direction and how the ritual is set up so that (supposedly) by doing it one has symbolically placed ones self at the intersection of paths beneath Tiphareth (Samekh and Pe ... if my qabbalah isnt too rusty?)

(not sure if that helps) but it would indicate why those archangels are used and not the others - to define your position for that working (and at that stage of development) on the Tree of Life.

Grigori

(not sure if that helps) but it would indicate why those archangels are used and not the others - to define your position for that working (and at that stage of development) on the Tree of Life.

Ah thanks Ravenest, I'd forgotten about that, though you've mentioned it to me before :|

It needs a little tweeking to get it to fit, but seems as good a reasons as any. If you mirror image the tree (as if you laid it on the ground backwards) so that you are standing with Tiphareth in front of you, Yesod behind you, and Hod to your right, those three line up with the directions in the LBRP. Netzach seems to be attributed to Haniel rather than Auriel. Is there any relationship between the two?

That link is really great AW, thanks!