The guardian at the gate

greenbeans

A while back I posted to ask everyone their thoughts on Ekstasis- at the time I was struggling with the card so much, but the replies I got really helped me, and now it is one of my favourites. Honestly though, a lot of the other Singers are still hard work for me! I suppose some of the more anthropomorphic type cards just seem to invite you in and make friends...or troublesome aquaintances...so quickly! But the singers are harder to know...which makes sense as they are the higher 'energy' type beings, further from the physical than the others.

So....wondering what your thoughts are on The Guardian at the Gate? Do you see this as a key card for connecting to Faery? I'd love to know how you see this card!

gorgeousbutterfly

Hi, greenbeans :)... its about time someone talks about this card...

When i first got this deck, i mediated on the back of the cards and asked the fairies on the meanings.. with this card. what i got was, you can't rush and push doors that are closed, when the time is ready it will open naturaly. i also thought of different states of consiousness, not everything you can understand and in time one day you will understand. this hard is also of harmony of time and opportunties. i also sensed being open minded, open hearted, and open just in general. not to be closed off from things. being open to experience and opportunties. this is all what the fae told me without even knowing what card is and what its called. this is just the back of the card. amazing how when i opened the book i got . open.life passages etc.

greenbeans

thanks gorgeous! Your advice about not pushing things is so true-here i have been pushing myself to find the 'meaning' of this card when today i find myself humming a song from the old radio play Lord of the Rings:

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

-- J R R Tolkien

what could describe this card better? i think this is a truth we all hold deep inside, that each of us is on a journey- the analogy of life to a road is ubiquitous, and doesn't life always seem to be full of obstacles- bumps in the road, gates and guards where we want to pass?

but the guardian is a protector as well as a guard, protecting us from what we are not yet ready for, what we might destroy in our desire to know and love...(I am guilty of this in my insatiable desire to know or own something! i have to learn to let go...)

i have always liked the idea that most people just do the best they can with the resources they have, and that life doesn't throw anything at you that you aren't ready to handle. This is the guardian's role, sensing what inner resources you have and what new challenges you can face...and what wondrous enlightenments you are now ready for...

looking at the guardian i am reminded that life is a beautiful adventure, that the mundane roads outside link to beautiful green woodland paths and exhilarating mountain trails...when you step outside your door, who knows where life will take you?

Of course, the 'gate' which is most mysterious is the veil between our world and the Unknown- whether Otherworld, Faery or Hades...the guardian is the white light of near-death experiences...we can choose to turn away to life and the known, or move on to the final amazing journey...

i think when we use these cards we peer through the veil, just a little, and glimpse the other reality entwined in ours...a little scary, very exciting....but of course the guardian is here as our tour guide and protector, making sure we don't wander too far from home...

Alissa

I pulled this as my daily today and am struck by her princess-like appearance. I see long flowing hair of Light and a draping gown of blue serenity. She seems to ground me, even as her crown is alight with spiritual energy and input.

It seems to me She guards all manners of communication. It is with words that we open the gate of ourselves and allow another in. How we chose to open the gate, the words we use to open ourselves by, is what She guards. To guard is to defend, and with her by our side, we are Protected.

Her presence reminds me to remain in a state of grace and divine acceptance. Loving intentions rule all.

DragonFae

My favorite card was the Singer of Transfiguration BUT the Guardian at the Gate is a close second....I LOVE the beauty of the card...The way the light floats upward toward the sparkling, twinkling crown is lovely.

All the Singer cards are full of energy and positive vibes but this one radiates it...new beginnings, passing to a new level, entering a new realm....all point toward growth and healing.

...this card might be asking us to open the gate for someone else...increasing the connections we have with others in this world....I find most of the Singer cards involve connections or being "one" in some way.

Amashelle

I agree with you, Dragonfae. I love the singer cards for the same reason, though Connection is probably my favorite.

The thing about the Guardian is that, in my opinion, it resonates with every other card in the deck. It marks both the begining and the end of everything we set out to do: first we step through the gate of journeyes, we pass over the garden wall into the wild faerie woods, and when we have learned what we needed to learn, or accomplished what we set out to do, we pass through another gate (or perhaps the same gate, but as different people, changed by our experiences).

All the faeries in this deck are on the same journeys we are, seeking to be closer to Unity, and helping others on their way. This card, to me, represents that unending journey. That cycle of leaving and coming back and setting out again, and it is always a pleasure to see it come up in a reading.

Jewel

Amashelle said:
It marks both the begining and the end of everything we set out to do: first we step through the gate of journeyes, we pass over the garden wall into the wild faerie woods, and when we have learned what we needed to learn, or accomplished what we set out to do, we pass through another gate (or perhaps the same gate, but as different people, changed by our experiences).
I agree totally with this. I also love the Singers, their energy is so healing to me, though I must confess that my favorite singer of them all is Souls with those penetrating blue eyes and that fiery nature. :D

faunabay

Jewel said:
I agree totally with this. I also love the Singers, their energy is so healing to me, though I must confess that my favorite singer of them all is Souls with those penetrating blue eyes and that fiery nature. :D
You mean Solis? :p

My favorite singer is Transformation. Years ago, that was the one I saw that really caught my attention and made me want the deck!

For the first couple of years I had the faeries I would get Singers more than half the time. I just always ended up drawing the Singer cards for some reason. So I know then quite well! :*

qwaychou

I still have a hard time with the Singers.
This card I see two vast, disconnected swaths of light sweeping up the card to the crown, becoming a single, serene, unified light to continue towards Spirit.
I can see how others might see a princess there, I can almost see a dark face and clasped hands beneath the well-lit crown.