When you were first learning to read with a Marseille deck...

swedishfish612

where did you begin? I know that when I approached the RWS, I did 2 things simultaneously that helped me immensely- daily draws done in the morning and revisited in the evening to see how the card related to my day and going through my deck, card by card, writing my impressions and then looking up the "real" meaning online and in my reference books.

I don't know if that approach is the way to go with TdM, though, since it seems that so much of what you get out of a card depends on the other cards around it.

So when you started learning, how did you do it? Did you follow a certain book or course? Did you just jump in and start reading? Did you go card by card and decide what they meant for you?

I'm expecting a book in the mail today (Tarot-the Open Reading) so I thought I'd follow that. But then I also have seen people posting about a book by jmd, which I can't seem to find online, and one by Enrique Enriquez. Can anyone tell me more about these books?

Also, do you find journaling helpful with learning, and if so, how do you use your journal? I already keep one for my RWS studies, recording my daily draws, readings I do for others, and basic notes about each card as I discover new ways of seeing the card. Would something like this help me with TdM as well?

I hope I'm not asking too many silly newbie questions. I found AT indispensable when I was learning RWS, so of course I turn here for advice first!

ivanna

I do not track my readings. I only did it at first, following the advices written in the books to learn tarot. But I only made it during a couple of months. It take me too many time to do it, its boring, and I am not a methodical person, so...
I'm as welk as you. The book will arrive tomorrow and I may use it as a guide to learn.
I can not give you more advices because I am at the same stage as you.
:D

jean bosco

Hi,

I find myself coming back to the writings of Enrique Enriquez, that's also the way I started. I found the Marseille Seekers Thread , which made me curious about the TdM immediately. Most other methods just do not acknowledge what is depicted on the Pip-cards themselves - they go for meaning gained from some different sources.. But the pips themselves are so interesting.
Lay out the pip suits from 1 to 10 and see how the vine and the flowers behave. There is so much going on, it's awesome. And the vine behaves very differently in the 4 suits.
Enrique describes it nicely here to get a clue.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1105763&postcount=95
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1292793&postcount=104
majors and courts:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1554248&postcount=44

But the most I have learned from that thread.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=147553

I am also reading Yoav's book at the moment, I like it a lot. Matches quite nicely with Enrique's approach somehow.

Is anyone interested in a TdM study group like the link (Dodal-Thread) above? Like an IDS but for TdM in general?

(Edit: Had to edit the links, messed them up before.)

Rose Lalonde

As a newbie to TdM, I've been enjoying going through the Marseille Seekers exercises. I find them more helpful than the ...Open Reading book, but I know a lot of people find the latter very helpful, and I admire that he makes his CBD images available at his site. I don't have jmd's book but am tempted.

Is anyone interested in a TdM study group like the link (Dodal-Thread) above? Like an IDS but for TdM in general

I am. Since there doesn't seem to be one, I've been thinking of starting a Noblet Readings thread over in the daily draws forum to add my own and connect with anyone else who wants to post, but a general study thread over here would help me too, possibly more. Were you thinking of focusing on eye rhymes, as in the Dodal thread you linked to? Or a more general theme?

jean bosco

As a newbie to TdM, I've been enjoying going through the Marseille Seekers exercises. I find them more helpful than the ...Open Reading book, but I know a lot off people find the latter very helpful, and I admire that he makes his CBD images available at his site. I don't have jdm's book but am tempted.

Hi Rose :)
Well, I worked through the Seekers thread too and found it also more helpful than what I found in books etc. But anyway I like Yoavs' writing style, it's a pleasurable read for me.

I am. Since there doesn't seem to be one, I've been thinking of starting a Noblet Readings thread over in the daily draws forum to add my own and connect with anyone else who wants to post, but a general study thread over here would help me too, possibly more. Were you thinking of focusing on eye rhymes, as in the Dodal thread you linked to? Or a more general theme?

Cool. Yes I am thinking of a study thread that is open to all TdM-decks so that it is easier to participate. Since most TdM decks are quite similar, that should be manageable. What do you think?
I also think that for us TdM-newbies it would be easier in the beginning to start with just one reading method. That would make it easier to discuss a certain spread. So yes, it would be very similar to the Dodal thread. But I'm open to any other ideas of course. The eye-rhyme method I find very useful not only as a reading method but also to get to know the deck. And I think it is also fun to discuss what everybody sees in the cards...

I have to admit that I don't know in what part of the forum we could open such a thread. But if you are interested and one or two others also I would just ask a moderator.
Nice, I am looking forward. :)

swedishfish612

I would LOVE a study group and could commit to posting regularly. I have no idea what form it would/could take, just because I know so little. But whatever it is, I'm game! lol

Rose Lalonde

Yes I am thinking of a study thread that is open to all TdM-decks so that it is easier to participate. Since most TdM decks are quite similar, that should be manageable. What do you think?
I also think that for us TdM-newbies it would be easier in the beginning to start with just one reading method. That would make it easier to discuss a certain spread. So yes, it would be very similar to the Dodal thread. But I'm open to any other ideas of course. The eye-rhyme method I find very useful not only as a reading method but also to get to know the deck. And I think it is also fun to discuss what everybody sees in the cards...

I have to admit that I don't know in what part of the forum we could open such a thread. But if you are interested and one or two others also I would just ask a moderator.
Nice, I am looking forward. :)

I agree. One deck would be too limiting, And I'm just guessing, but it seems like if it were all reading methods and all decks, it would be too unwieldy. I'd definitely be interested in reading and posting, since the Dodal thread you linked to (thanks for that) is the sort of thing I'm interested in.

(There's a non-scenic pips study group from several years ago. I'm not suggesting we resurrect it; I only mention it, because it looks like the mods moved it from this forum to the Tarot Study Groups forum, so that might be the place to post. Though as you said, a mod could tell you for sure.)

Hooked on TdM

Ah I have more time to post now.

I'm using the Dodal for the One deck Wonder (thread is in talking tarot and daily draw for same thread in your readings.) Although I will be adding another deck, I'm going to be studying this for a year. So a study thread of any kind for TdM would be awesome. Study threads generally go into the deck studies area.

I'm also thinking of doing EE's methods again. Been awhile and I found it very illuminating last time. So if your going to start something, revive something or want to start ODW, share the news! It'd be nice to have company. :)

Rose Lalonde

I'm using the Dodal for the One deck Wonder (thread is in talking tarot and daily draw for same thread in your readings.)

I've been peeking at that some, because 1)Dodal/TdM! and 2) how much I enjoy focusing on one deck. I haven't posted, because I'm mixing things up this year with new decks and am so far resisting the urge to narrow my focus again. But I thought I'd let you know I find the thread interesting.