Dream -- wondering what the guy represents.

Amanda

A couple nights ago I had a dream, and this is what I remember:

I was travelling with a young dog. It was my dog in the dream, and it was beautiful and totally grey in color, and it had really soft fur. It looked a lot like this, but pure grey:

I was concerned about travelling with it, because the vehicle we were travelling in didn't seem very animal-friendly. It was a lot like those rides that take you from the entrance of the zoo for example up to the main gate... a more casual mode of transportation with plastic seats; no seatbelts or doors and windows, and a canopy overhead for shade. The only difference is, I believe we were travelling on something like this but over water, and it was actually quick moving. I remember thinking the destination was far away but that I would be there in no time.

I remember being assured by someone though that their dogs travelled with them like this all the time and my dog would be okay. I had the dog on a leash, but I was concerned it was going to fall overboard. The dog was in good spirits, and I was gentle with my commands to keep it safe, calling it over to me and petting it throughout the ride, and it did listen to me and would come close to me again when I was getting nervous that it might fall over the edge.

When I got to the event, I no longer had the dog with me, and the event was large with lots of people... kind of like what I experienced when I went to a spiritual/psychic fair -- it wasn't exactly that, but just kind of felt like a place to 'hang out' and socialize.

My best friend was there and I remember standing at a counter of a vendor ordering something to drink. As I was waiting to get my drink my best friend was standing to the left of me. A man all dressed in black came up on my right and he and my friend started talking to each other around me. He seemed very nice and genuinely friendly, but I never looked up at either one of them, I just waited for my drink as they talked. When I got my drink, I looked up intending to leave my friend to talk with the man, but I ended up locking eyes with the man as I was turning away and I felt an instant surge of some kind of connection throughout my entire body. He clearly felt it too as he said almost apologetically but with a smile from the connection, "I didn't realize how beautiful you were" as if to mean he would have talked to me sooner if he had realized my beauty. I felt weird like, 'who just says that out loud?', but I responded in a way so as to try not to make it obvious that I felt the connection too or that I felt weird for him saying something about it, and I just kind of smiled bashfully as if to say, "Don't worry about it" and I started to walk away... he started to follow me as if to say, "...but wait..." but my dream did not go beyond that, and I woke up.

What does this guy represent?

celticnoodle

First of all, the dog in the beginning of your dream could also be representing your friend that was with you at the party. Dogs often represent a friend. I wonder if you may be meeting a man through this friend, or another friend? The man may be someone you know of, but don't really have a relationship with at this time. Perhaps the two of you will talk a bit at the party, and have a spark of interest in each other. Maybe connecting on some matter that you discuss. Yet, you won't really be interested in furthering the relationship, and walk away--even though he may seem keen on it.

Hope this makes sense to you and it'll be interesting if this turns out to be accurate. :)

Amanda

First of all, the dog in the beginning of your dream could also be representing your friend that was with you at the party. Dogs often represent a friend. I wonder if you may be meeting a man through this friend, or another friend? The man may be someone you know of, but don't really have a relationship with at this time. Perhaps the two of you will talk a bit at the party, and have a spark of interest in each other. Maybe connecting on some matter that you discuss. Yet, you won't really be interested in furthering the relationship, and walk away--even though he may seem keen on it.

Hope this makes sense to you and it'll be interesting if this turns out to be accurate. :)

Thanks CN!
I have been connecting with my best friend a little more recently (we're both in school and she just had a baby in May so we haven't spent much time together this past year, especially since I was working. We reconnected again on NYE, and she just texted me today to ask if I could trim her hair sometime soon). I did think that the dog companion and my best friend in the dream might be connected too and saying something about her obvious traits (social butterfly, Queen of Wands-y) hidden in me... me keeping them on a leash and protected.

I have made a couple of new connections with men recently (non-romantic), and those connections don't seem as profound as the one I had in the dream -- I mean, as soon as our eyes locked, I felt the surge of something throughout my entire body/being -- so I don't know, maybe there will be a new person. I would never expect to meet one through my friend, as she seems just as low-key and busy as I am anymore, but who knows! I can tell you that it won't be romantic :D as I am married. But definitely seemed significant.. like someone actually saw me and for real and he was happy it happened, but sorry he didn't see me sooner and wanted to talk more about me and the connection he obviously felt.

I wouldn't think it would be job-related either, as he didn't seem dressed like that. More casual black clothes, black jacket. He was a white guy with longer black hair and dark eyes also... he may have had piercings and tattoos, I'm not sure, but it seems like he would be a guy to have those.

I'll be sure to update if I run into a guy like this! Thanks CN :)

Amanda

Possibly a Jungian animus archetype. They show up in dreams a lot.

Really, what for? The thought crossed my mind that it was my ego but aside from basic definitions or basic understanding (I know what an ego is), I really don't know what all those Jungian things are... or like, their purpose -how they function- I guess.

So, you're telling me though that you think my animus is a friendly bad-ass that might have tattoos and wants to talk to me more about our connection? :D Should I do a reading on that to give him/it another chance to talk?

Metafizzypop

So, you're telling me though that you think my animus is a friendly bad-ass that might have tattoos and wants to talk to me more about our connection? :D Should I do a reading on that to give him/it another chance to talk?

Yes to both questions.

The good thing about this is that it's very easy to find information about Jungian ideas on the web. Books are better, but the internet will get you by. The animus is one of the five archetypes of the collective unconscious. There's the ego (your sense of yourself), the shadow (the dark side), and the animus or anima (the opposite sex side). There's also the persona and the Self.

Generally the animus (the male psychological side of a woman) just wants to show you around the collective unconscious. Think Alice in Wonderland with a really hot tour guide.

Amanda

Yes to both questions.

The good thing about this is that it's very easy to find information about Jungian ideas on the web. Books are better, but the internet will get you by. The animus is one of the five archetypes of the collective unconscious. There's the ego (your sense of yourself), the shadow (the dark side), and the animus or anima (the opposite sex side). There's also the persona and the Self.

Generally the animus (the male psychological side of a woman) just wants to show you around the collective unconscious. Think Alice in Wonderland with a really hot tour guide.

:laugh: Oh I think you just made my night. :D
Thanks for the added info! I'll try to do some more digging around the net. :)

danieljuk

love Metafizzypop's Jungian take on it! I am only very much a beginner in that area.Intepreting the dream, the dog is an interesting symbol. The really important part is how you feel about dogs. Churchhill described his depression as his "black dog". If someone is very scared of dogs or doesn't like them, this dream has a different meaning. However you seem to like dogs in the dream and :heart:ed this cute dog :) you seemed to want to look after the dog, like a young child. keep them safe! I know the dog seems a pretty colour but grey / gray (depending on your country) is quite a sad colour and a bit negative. Almost like a forgotten dog.

I like CN's idea of a dog representing a friend, that would work out with Lenormand as well where 'dog' as a symbol represents loyalty and a good or long term friend. Also I was looking up dogs and dreams and one suggestion is a skill or a forgotten skill. You are cultivating it and looking after it in the dream but maybe you have forgotten about it for a while and this is what you need to do.

you travelled with the dog in an awkward way but it was all working out and it was over water, not over land. Water being the subconscious and the emotions. I also see water and your travel over it a bit like the boat over water between worlds in the Arthurian type legends. Could you have lost someone very dear and loyal to you in the past and this dream giving you comfort? again also the idea of the dog spirit guide or spirit animal with you guiding over.

The dog disappears and you arrive at a social event and get a drink (watery symbol again). Repeating symbols about friendship or a connection and emotions/ the unconscious. Then you meet the mysterious guy in black who you felt an instant connection with and complimented you openly. I think also it's an aspect of yourself your masculine side. do you need to get more comfortable with it? He dresses in black, the colour of nothingness, of death, of a new clean slate, the unknown and the unconscious. I do think it's saying to get in touch with that side of yourself and be gentle to yourself in thinking processes! As well as the man theme that others have answered really well, think about the friendship / loyalty / emotional areas. There is something to that as well!

Hope that helps, but amazing dream Amanda :)

Amanda

love Metafizzypop's Jungian take on it! I am only very much a beginner in that area.Intepreting the dream, the dog is an interesting symbol. The really important part is how you feel about dogs. Churchhill described his depression as his "black dog". If someone is very scared of dogs or doesn't like them, this dream has a different meaning. However you seem to like dogs in the dream and :heart:ed this cute dog :) you seemed to want to look after the dog, like a young child. keep them safe! I know the dog seems a pretty colour but grey / gray (depending on your country) is quite a sad colour and a bit negative. Almost like a forgotten dog.

I am more of a dog person even though I love my cats. :)
I'm somewhat an observer when I dream most of the time, so even if I'm "in" the dream and acting within it, I'm also observing it from the background, in a sense. My personal thoughts while watching the dream were that the dog was lovely, and I was really stuck by the beauty of the grey color it was. It seemed so pure and rare to me. I was also impressed with how the dog was doing very well at listening to my commands for being so young... even though it didn't seem as concerned with the danger as I was and was a bit more happy-go-lucky, it trusted me and came back close to me when I called to it and eased my nerves.

I like CN's idea of a dog representing a friend, that would work out with Lenormand as well where 'dog' as a symbol represents loyalty and a good or long term friend. Also I was looking up dogs and dreams and one suggestion is a skill or a forgotten skill. You are cultivating it and looking after it in the dream but maybe you have forgotten about it for a while and this is what you need to do.

That feels very right, as you have described it.

you travelled with the dog in an awkward way but it was all working out and it was over water, not over land. Water being the subconscious and the emotions. I also see water and your travel over it a bit like the boat over water between worlds in the Arthurian type legends. Could you have lost someone very dear and loyal to you in the past and this dream giving you comfort? again also the idea of the dog spirit guide or spirit animal with you guiding over.

I have had a lot of death surrounding me all my life. It was a regular event to be going to a funeral, I think. However, there is one where I wonder if the pain will ever go away. I may have been slightly traumatized by that one -- he was a soldier, and he died far too young. I was looking forward to a long life for him, and getting to share a lot of family moments; he would have been the one for me to lean on when times got tough. That was all ripped away quite suddenly.

The dog disappears and you arrive at a social event and get a drink (watery symbol again). Repeating symbols about friendship or a connection and emotions/ the unconscious. Then you meet the mysterious guy in black who you felt an instant connection with and complimented you openly. I think also it's an aspect of yourself your masculine side. do you need to get more comfortable with it? He dresses in black, the colour of nothingness, of death, of a new clean slate, the unknown and the unconscious. I do think it's saying to get in touch with that side of yourself and be gentle to yourself in thinking processes! As well as the man theme that others have answered really well, think about the friendship / loyalty / emotional areas. There is something to that as well!

I think I'm on the verge of a new beginning, so speaking of clean slates and whatnot makes sense, for sure. I don't know what it is yet.. but I just feel it coming. I know I must decide soon, on a clearer path in life.

Hope that helps, but amazing dream Amanda :)

Thank you! :)