My first tarot card XIV Het Midden

aduki

Hello,

I finished my first tarot card, and I would welcome some feedback. It's my version of card XIV Temperance, called XIV Het Midden (Dutch for the middle, the centre).
I created it in Photoshop using Google images, and it 's only intended for personal use.
I hope you enjoy it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60991038@N02/5557652063/

Greetings,
Anouk.

Thirteen

I love the concept. Great job on the colors, and the balancing of fire/water/earth/air. I especially like the swirling water/fire creating that kind of "infinity" loop.

One question--the woman's expression is horribly sad, and really sets the tone for the whole card. She looks like she's overwhelmed and has given up. Yet half of the scene shows very happy stuff--the kids, the strong, Rosie-the-Riveter image, popping out of the water into the sunlight, elated. I'm curious as to why you went for an expression so very sad, and suggesting she can't work things out, rather than for one more neutral. Especially as Temperance is usually about the determination to merge opposing sides into a unified third, rather than believing it impossible to do so.

aduki

Thanks very much for your feedback.

You're totally right, about the expression on the face. Actually, the woman in the middle is me. The expression should have been neutral, but indeed, it didn't work out that way. I was very tired when we took the photograph and it shows (I hoped it didn't). So (after reading your reply) I will try to find a better (neutral looking) photograph of me and Photoshop my face.

The idea is more or less that we exist out of an "infinitive" number of sub personalities (like the “positive” ones you describe, and also the more "negative" ones like the anger and fear and being hurt). We move back and forward between them, and this card is about integrating them all, finding the middle place between them, so we can make neutral (integrated) decisions. Something I'm trying to learn ;-)

Alta

I also find the card very striking. I don't recall having seen Temperance expressed in this way and I think that it does work well.

Thirteen

aduki said:
this card is about integrating them all, finding the middle place between them, so we can make neutral (integrated) decisions. Something I'm trying to learn ;-)
:) Sagittarius is often viewed as the sign for this card, and so when I think about it I often think of someone focusing and concentrating, like an archer aiming for that bullseye--as you say, trying to find that one middle spot. I think the trick of Temperance is that it's not searching for that third or middle option frantically or blindly, like searching a pile of laundry for a missing sock :joke: but with determination and the firm belief that it exists and can be found...or if need be, created.

I like, by the way, that you went for that stillness in the yoga pose of the figure. That's very Temperance to me. Working through it quietly and patiently, concentrating on getting it right rather than letting herself be rattled or distracted.

aduki

I have changed the face. It is not totally what I hoped for, but still better than before. It's not easy to find (and judge) the right expression on your own face :)

I used the yoga/meditation pose because meditation is what helps me finding that middle spot. Meditation in the sense of being a neutral observer to one’s own thoughts and feelings.

bluecaffeine

I like the card, the dark side and the bright side, fire and water are in a good balance. I like the flowers in the darkness and how you connected the fire with the water through the cups.