Book of Thoth Study Group - The Empress III

Dean

The Empress continually giving Birth to new things and brearing the pains of that Labour.

rachelcat

Just like Crowley said, the Empress is just as simple and complicated as women in general and in particular! Here's my IDS study of this beautiful lady.

Empress

Someone I was reading with saw her as a mermaid right away! We were contrasting the Empress and Emperor. It’s very fruitful to do that! She is Venus and he is Aries, ruled by Mars.

There are lots of moons, water, growth, plants. Snuffin points out that she is facing the waxing moon, sign of growth and increase. She is also facing the Emperor and he is facing her if you put them side by side 3 then 4. Her belt is the Zodiac, so she is the whole universe! Green and pink, very growing and feminine. Bees for matriarchy and nourishment. Spirals for the universe and growth. Dominos: one of the books says they are black and white together, symbolizing matter/mother contains all, good and bad, fun and trouble, life and death.

The sparrow and dove are at the top of the pillars, like Lilith and Eve on Lovers. Around the forum I have learned that the sparrow is a symbol of female sexuality and wantonness (like of like Lilith). The dove is the bird of Venus, true love and peace, contrasting with the eagles on the shield.

The swan/pelican is feeding its young on its own blood. I am also reminded of Crowley’s idea of the daughter taking the place of the mother. The mother and daughter have the same blood.

The eagle shield is the same as the Emperor’s (they rule the same kingdom) but his are backed with sun/gold, hers with moon/silver, and her eagles are white fem. and his are red masc. The eagles are joined into one body, like the E&E will be in Art!

Snuffin points out that the sacrificing pelican is on the side of the waning moon, and the eagles are on the side of the waxing moon, showing the changing role of women in the new aeon.

Her legs are together like a mermaid. His are apart and crossed (in the shape of a 4 and like the Hanged Man).

The fleur de lys is on her carpet as it is on the Emperor’s tile. Some try to say this is masculine symbol, but like others here, I see a lily as feminine, especially if it is really an water iris!

The secret rose under her throne is a symbol of female sexuality. I thought those things on the ground were flower petals, but a book? Says they are fish, symbols of masculine sexuality. And they’re so close to the flower, too! Maybe that’s why she’s already pregnant!

3 is the sephira of Binah the “supernal mother.” The letter is Daleth=door, and the path joins Binah and Chokmah, the mother and the father. The door is in the background. Woman is the door of life, everyone goes through that door!

Arms make the sign of Salt.

Lotus is the feminine sign, the sign of Cups/emotion and the Grail. Secret/search for the grail is search for the divine feminine. Note that she holds her scepter (lotus) over her heart and the Emperor holds his ram-head scepter beside his head.

One of the books also notes that the sign for Venus is the only one that can cover all 10 sephiroth (if you draw it over a Tree). Interesting, but I don’t really know what to do with it. I guess it links creation of the universe with feminine creation of life.

In a reading: Time to take a close look at women and femininity, beauty, and pleasure in your life. And family life and nurturing. And creativity. You may be called upon to put effort into creative efforts.

I feel this card takes over some of the "romance" meanings from the Lovers, since Thoth Lovers has such a formal and alchemical feel!