Mitosis and the Devil?

paradoxx

It's fairly obvious how the testes are being referred to here, perhaps with the duality of one being the progenetor of the x chromosome and the other being the y chromosome (while not accurate, the sizes between the two testes do in fact vary with some men, college physiology)

The goat on the other hand is the general phallic symbol of sexual activity, and since goats do not care one way or the other, the symbol can symbolize perversion, advancing into satanic sexual preferences.

Basically this Devil card is the generalized expression of crowley and harris and their perception on what the meanings of the cards are supposed to be, it does in fact though cause friction once included in a reading, as the chainng effect of th edevil seems to be to the root chakra of the male gender.

Always Wondering

The Book of Thoth says they are the "roots of the tree, made transparent to show the innumerable leapings of sap."
Intresting, I always saw them and was told they were spheres. But now I can't see them as anything but roots. I don't know the meaning of leaping sap. But perhaps someone will come along and inlighten us, please.

AW

rcb30872

This is not in relation to the Devil, but while looking at the Lust card I couldn't help thinking that was an ovary, and an ovum was getting ready to come out of the ovary. And then all those worms around the other bit was like sperm trying to gain entry to fertilise the ovum. Hence, probably the female version of what you are saying for the Devil.

Going back to what you were saying. Mitosis is when a cell duplicates the chromosomes PRIOR to dividing into two cells. This does not represent the production of gametes, which is incidentally is called miosis, ie sperm and ova, as they only have one copy of the chromosomes, whereas a normal cell would have two copies. So, when the egg is fertilised it has the two copies of the chromosomes, one from each parent.

Aeon418

paradoxx said:
the symbol can symbolize perversion, advancing into satanic sexual preferences.
What exactly do you mean by perversion and satanic sexual preferences? That sounds a little hysterical to me. :laugh: You normally only hear that sort of thing from people who have a very narrow view of sexuality and disapprove of other people who have sexualities different from their own.
In sexuality there is no such thing as "the norm" because it is our most basic expression of individuality. Perversion to you may be normal to someone else, and vice versa.

The Thelemic philosophy, on which the Thoth is based, declares that everyone has the right to express their sexuality in any way they see fit as long as the rights of other individuals are not infringed in the process.
paradoxx said:
Basically this Devil card is the generalized expression of crowley and harris and their perception on what the meanings of the cards are supposed to be, it does in fact though cause friction once included in a reading, as the chainng effect of th edevil seems to be to the root chakra of the male gender.
What's wrong with a card symbolising creative energy and freedom in a reading? It can only cause friction if you're opposed to them.

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
The Book of Thoth says they are the "roots of the tree, made transparent to show the innumerable leapings of sap."
Intresting, I always saw them and was told they were spheres. But now I can't see them as anything but roots. I don't know the meaning of leaping sap. But perhaps someone will come along and inlighten us, please.
The symbol of the Oak tree is a metaphor for the Phallus.
Gnarled Oak of God! In thy branches is the lightning nested! Above thee hangs the Eyeless Hawk.
Thou art blasted and black! Supremely solitary in that heath of scrub.
Up! The Ruddy clouds hang over thee! It is the storm.
There is a flaming gash in the sky.
Up.
Thou art tossed about in the grip of the storm for an aeon and an aeon and an aeon. But thou givest not thy sap; thou fallest not.
Only in the end shalt thou give up thy sap when the great God F.I.A.T. is enthroned on the day of Be-With-Us.

rcb30872

Always Wondering said:
I don't know the meaning of leaping sap. But perhaps someone will come along and inlighten us, please.

AW
Perhaps that means ejaculation *ahem*

Aeon418

rcb30872 said:
Perhaps that means ejaculation *ahem*
Half right, but ejaculation specifically relates to the next card. It's not called the Lightning Struck or Blasted Tower for nothing. :laugh:

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
The symbol of the Oak tree is a metaphor for the Phallus.

The passage is lovely. Where is it from?

AW

Raven134

I guess my instincts must be way off... I "feel" this card symbolizes the bondage of addiction and sexual urges can enslave a person as easily as drugs and alcohol.

To me it seems all these "earthly" pleasures are there for mankind and all is well unless you carry them too far and become enslaved to these pleasures. From studying Crowley's writings on drug addiction and sexuality, it just seems this theme might precede bondage or enslavement.

I could be way off but as a recovering Addict / Alcoholic this is sort of the "feelings" i get from this card. Not a bad card in and of itself, just a representation of raw primal forces that if succumbed to could enslave the soul.

Its funny how people can see different meanings in his cards.