'academic' Tarot books

Scion

Hey BE,

If I knew more about your topic, I could get more specific, but here are a few things that come to mind:

The Occult Mind by Christopher Lehrich (FABULOUS followup to his book on Agrippa)
History of the Occult Tarot by Decker & Dummett
"Memories of the Past, Memories of the Future: Semiotics and the Tarot" by Inna Semetsky (as well as her other academic articles)
"The Celtic Tarot and the Secret Tradition: A Study in Modern Legend Making" by Juliette Wood
Tarot and Individuation: Correspondences with Cabala and Alchemy by Irene Gad
Western Esotericism and the Science of Religions by Antoine Faivre
New Age and Neopagan Religions in America by Sarah M. Pike
Paranormal Beliefs: A Sociological Introduction by Erich Goode
New Age Religion and Western Culture: Esotericism in the Mirror of Secular Thought by Wouter J. Hanegraaff
"Who Buys New Age Materials? Exploring Sociodemographic, Religious, Network, and Contextual Correlates of New Age Consumption" by Daniel P. Mears & Christopher G. Ellison
And the Auger book mentioned by Mariana.

Research is totally my thing so if you'll name your subject I can really go to town.

Scion

gregory

And if Scion says it, it is so. :D You could also cite his own guide to the Decans....:D

Scion

Well, I don't know about that, G, but I appreciate the vote of confidence. :thumbsup:

The crowned one

Scion said:
Hey BE,

If I knew more about your topic, I could get more specific, but here are a few things that come to mind:

The Occult Mind by Christopher Lehrich (FABULOUS followup to his book on Agrippa)
History of the Occult Tarot by Decker & Dummett
"Memories of the Past, Memories of the Future: Semiotics and the Tarot" by Inna Semetsky (as well as her other academic articles)
"The Celtic Tarot and the Secret Tradition: A Study in Modern Legend Making" by Juliette Wood
Tarot and Individuation: Correspondences with Cabala and Alchemy by Irene Gad
Western Esotericism and the Science of Religions by Antoine Faivre
New Age and Neopagan Religions in America by Sarah M. Pike
Paranormal Beliefs: A Sociological Introduction by Erich Goode
New Age Religion and Western Culture: Esotericism in the Mirror of Secular Thought by Wouter J. Hanegraaff
"Who Buys New Age Materials? Exploring Sociodemographic, Religious, Network, and Contextual Correlates of New Age Consumption" by Daniel P. Mears & Christopher G. Ellison
And the Auger book mentioned by Mariana.

Research is totally my thing so if you'll name your subject I can really go to town.

Scion

I am writing these down!

Scion

n.b. I don't know if I'd wholeheartedly recommend all of these to everyone, but the request was for hard academic citation posibilities.

As for real recs I'd make out of that list, definitely the Lehrich, Decker & Dummett, and the Faivre... On the others, mileage may vary based on your interests and purpose. :)

X

S

BrightEye

Thanks for all the further suggestions, and thanks, Scion, for your enthusiasm. It's not going to be a paper on Tarot. It's going to be an essay on a piece of literature with some Tarot elements, but Tarot is by no means the only reference. I shall sift throught the list and see what might be useful.

That article on Tarot and Semiotics sounds interesting. Where was it published?

rachelcat

Scion said:

I trust these academics have been keeping track of the AT "What are you awaiting in the mail" thread and wish lists!

AT members, read this article and know thyself!

blackroseivy

The Visconti-Sforza Tarot Cards by Michael Dummett

The Key to the Tarot by A. E. Waite

The Tarot by Alfred Douglas

Those are the 3 that sprang to my mind! (I own them. ;) )

Scion

BrightEye said:
That article on Tarot and Semiotics sounds interesting. Where was it published?

The article I referenced above is here:
Memories of the Past, Memories of the Future: Semiotics and the Tarot

But you might also look at some of the following:
Signs in Action: Tarot as a Self-Organized System

2002 "Deleuze and Guattari's A-signifying Semiotics and Cartographies of the Unconscious: Tarot Reconceptualized", Synthesis Philosophica, 34 (2-2002), Zagreb, pp. 297-316 (abstracts in German, and French)

2001 "Self-Organization in Tarot Semiotics", in Schmitz, W. (ed.): Sign Processes in Complex systems. Proceedings of the 7th International Congress of the IASS-AIS. Dresden: Thelem. (ISBN:3-933592- 21- 6).

1999 "Tarot Semiotics as Cartography of Events", in SEMIOTICS 1998, Peter Lang Publishing, NY, pp. 38-51.

BrightEye

Thanks, blackroseivy and Scion. Hey, Deleuze and Guattari! They used to be right up my street (what I understood of their stuff).