Herbal Tarot - XIII - Death - Elder Flowers

Soaring Eagle

You can see the major arcana cards in Constellation 4.

Description: A cloaked figure without a face is standing with a rose in one hand. The sun is seen rising over the mountains in the background. There is a small plant of Elder Flowers in front of the figure.

Significant Details: The cloaked figure symbolizes death. The sun symbolizes new beginnings. The mountains represent the gateways to the spirit realm. The elder flowers represent healing.

Keywords: Transformation, Change, Ending, Transition

Medicinal Uses: This tree is rich in Vitamin C and is used to prevent colds and the flu. It is also used to clear complexions. An ointment made of the leaves is good for sprains, bruises and chilblains. It is also diuretic and has laxative actions. Culpepper’s Color Herbal. In English folklore the juice of this tree was considered to have magical properties, and a baptized person who smeared it around their eyes could foresee the coming of a witch. This tree became known as the “medicine chest of country people”. American Nature Guides Herbs by Anna Kruger

My Interpretation: This is a time of major transformations and changes. One cycle is ending as a new one is beginning. These changes may bring a healing force to your life.

Number Significance: Death is in Constellation 4 with IV Emperor, 0 Fool, and the Fours. 4 - Completion and Transition, Establishing and Building, Releasing, Mortality and Immortality, Rites of Passage

Thoughts/Points to Ponder: Not all major changes are bad, some bring healing in ways we wouldn't normally realize. A person who loses someone after a long illness, may not see a benefit right away, but in the end the one who passed is no longer suffering, and the family has a chance to heal. I know, I've been in this situation, and even though you suffer the pain of loss, there is still a hidden benefit.