1JJ Swiss deck

Moonbow

I've had this deck for a while and only done a few light readings for myself with them. Mostly I find myself enjoying the pictures and comparing cards with the marseilles ones.

Does anyone read with this deck? If so can you tell me how you approach the readings. Do you do the number/colour approach as with marseilles decks? What are the meanings of Junon and Jupiter are they the same as the High Priestess and Hierophant? Are they based on the Ancient Italian decks as there does seem to be alot of similarities.

I've done a search for this deck and there doesn't seem to be alot about it. Do the serious historians amongst you not consider it to be a worthwhile deck? I'm curious about your feelings towards it because I quite like it - although I find some of the Majors a little cartoonish!

Diana

It's a nice deck, Moonbow*. :) Should be a part of any serious collector's collection.

I would use it just like a Marseille deck.

Imagemaker

I just bought a 1970 edition on ebay for $5.50 and I was the only bidder. Got it yesterday, looks fine. What am I doing with all these Marseille decks! (3, plus 2 clones).

I think Diana's posts send out some sort of collector vibes and lured me in.

contrascarpe

I just picked this deck up on a whim. The only Marseilles style deck I had was an old Tarot de Marseilles I picked up a few years ago in an out-of-the-way shop while visiting Paris. Quite frankly, the only reason I bought that one was because it was a French deck and, well, I was in France, lol.

Not sure why I picked this one up but my first impression is that I like it ..... since I typically try to read intuitively, any suggestions on this one?

Dan

MuffinTops

I also just won this deck (and a book) on EBay for $3.80 USD. It is still in the mail!

jmd

I personally rarely use the 1jj, and have mainly used it to give examples of readings in either courses or it someone happened to have one.

For decks generally, however, I tend to consider that the in-the-moment of a reading, what is important is not to try and recall what one may have read or considered in the past, but rather be open to the impressions one receives.

In that sense, and in terms of reading with the deck more intuitively, the imaginative faculties may be as open as with many decks.

This deck has numerous items which are craftilly executed, and ne may very well favourably compare it to most Marseille when it cames to its 'jeux fin' ('suprafino') quality. This comes, however, at the expense of other qualities in my personal view.

Where I personally have problems - despite what I have just said - is that I also get a little internal hick-upped question as to why they decided to change those cards to Juno and Jupiter (not the historical reasons as to why, but the reluctance on my part to accept such reasons as 'legitimate').

It would be wonderful to have greater dialogue from those who more regularly use it, or from those who were predominantly using it in former days... In the meantime, perhaps given its close resemblance to the Marseille in many respects, many of the discussions there would as easily apply to this deck.

lunalafey

jmd said:

It would be wonderful to have greater dialogue from those who more regularly use it, or from those who were predominantly using it in former days...

Yeah!
this deck is new to me and the first of it's kind for me as well.
I have been going through the H&I threads lots lately.
got a better understanding, but would still like to hear things specific to this deck.

Myrrha

I like this deck. The Juno card means a lot to me. I see her as the individual guiding spirit, the spirit from inside that influences you in the direction of true individuality, and following your unique path. This view has been influenced by the discussion of Juno-Lucina in the book for the Nigel Jackson tarot and by the idea of personal daemon in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series :)

The Jupiter card still throws me a bit as the picture doesn't really fit with my idea of Jupiter. I interpret his gloomy look as the weight of responsibility.

I am preferring the Marseilles for the 78 weeks study group as it is a really intense deck for looking at closely. I do read more with the IJJ Swiss though, partly because I feel more comfortable with Juno and Jupiter than with the Popess and Pope. It is true that as Moonbow* said some of the majors are a bit cartoonish.

Does anybody know what the gesture the fool is making with his hand means? I looks like the sign of the horns but with his thumb out as well.

--Myrrha

Le_Corsair

Myrrha said:

Does anybody know what the gesture the fool is making with his hand means? I looks like the sign of the horns but with his thumb out as well.

--Myrrha

I think he actually is making horns; if you casually make the gesture, you'll discover that you have to consciously tuck your thumb in, which is clumsy and distracting.

Then again, it probably has some dreadful Masonic or Kabbalistic significance. :D

Bob :THERM