10 of Cups -- So negative?

sweet_intuition

Wow, reading all the post was really an eye-opener. Thank you for clearing my doubts about the 10 of cups. Aeon418, Teheuti and Lillie, your descriptions and explainations really struck a cord for me and rainwolf, your description summed it all up beautifully.

Thank you all

:)

Voron

Lillie said:
On the tree of life 10's are down in Malkuth, which is the worst place to be.
Down at the bottom, as far away from the perfection of Kether as possible.
Totally corrupted by reality.

What a Manichean view! How depressing! Malkuth is the Kingdom -- it is the final big payoff, the lush garden. We all live in Malkuth. The idea that flesh is gross and spirit is pure separates us from ourselves and hinders our ability to perform the Great Work -- the unification of opposites. The flesh is holy.

Remember that Kether is in Malkuth and Malkuth is in Kether.

I think the "Too much of a good thing" is more related to the 4 of Cups, personally.

I do agree with the idea of "this is as good as it gets -- so enjoy it", though.

Voron

Teheuti said:
I check if there is an over-idealized dream aspect to the situation that could be painting a rosy picture

I do like this spin on the interpretation.

We shouldn't forget that Malkuth is on the middle pillar as well.

Don't forget how Liber Tzaddi ends:
"They shall be masters of majesty and might; they shall be beautiful and joyous; they shall be clothed with victory and splendour; they shall stand upon the firm foundation; the kingdom shall be theirs; yea, the kingdom shall be theirs."

Lillie

Voron said:
What a Manichean view! How depressing! Malkuth is the Kingdom -- it is the final big payoff, the lush garden. We all live in Malkuth. The idea that flesh is gross and spirit is pure separates us from ourselves and hinders our ability to perform the Great Work -- the unification of opposites. The flesh is holy.

Remember that Kether is in Malkuth and Malkuth is in Kether.

I think the "Too much of a good thing" is more related to the 4 of Cups, personally.

I do agree with the idea of "this is as good as it gets -- so enjoy it", though.

It's just my view.
No one has to agree with me.
But I see the 10 cups as totally and utterly negative.
I would rather get 10 swords than 10 cups.

And Malkuth.
If Kether is perfection, Malkuth is as far away from it as you can get.
(notice the if in that sentence.)

For me flesh is worthless and corrupt.
Spirit is just an empty sham.

It is all unendingly negative whichever way you look at it.

however, that's just me.

I gave my opinion and that is all it was. My opinion.
No one has to share it, but at the same time, no one can argue my right to see it that way if I so choose.

rainwolf

I think were missing the point, kabbalistically.

Malkuth is the lowest level, but thats because we can only be in that level. If we could be in Kether, we would see how limiting malkuth really is and agree with lillie that its not that great. But thats all we got so we like the lush gardens because its the nicest thing we see and we can't compare anything better to it.

isthmus nekoi

Robert Wang has an encompassing take to the idea of "satiety". He writes that the ordinary, divinatory meaning of the card is best reflected in the satisfaction and success of the Rider Waite deck, but that there is a more complex, spiritual meaning that refers to what Crowley was on about.

Also, don't forget Malkuth is also associated w/the princesses and not just the 10s. I doubt that most of us would consider the princesses/pages as 100% negative.

p.s. Barb, your post made me lol.

Dean

Lillie said:
I was just expressing my opinion.
I give my opnion as my opinion.
It may be different from other peoples opinions, and I accept that.
I don't tell other people what their opnions should be, or wether they ae right

I agree with Lillie here, it's just someone else's view on how they see or read a certain card, it may not mean the same to everyone's own opinion or interpretion on what you have already learned or understood, but it's still a valied opinion.

Everyone is here to express their own opinions on how a card is read, i know i add my own interpretions on many of the Thoth cards that may not be to everyone's understanding.:)

Alta

I thought about Malkuth and the Princesses too Isthmus, but to me as well as I can see the 10 of cups as, not always but can be, the point just before slipping into the swamp. Malkuth is not completely encompassed by the 10 of cups of course.

ravenest

10 cups - yay!

Hang on now, I'm gonna defend the 10 of cups.

Since when was satiety and feeling satisfied sooo bad? How do you feel after a good meal, a good .... , even a good book? I feel happy satisfied and content. Perhaps, then, my whole internal laboritory is full of freshly released seratonin (I'M a big fan! - I love those t-shirts that say; "Release Sarah Tonin"). The negative connatations of this seem to be suggesting overindulgence - which comes after satiety, greed - a lack of satiety or not knowing your satisfaction level, or dissapointment, which stems from a false expectation.

[ here is a little picture of Sarah; :) ]

ravenest

isthmus nekoi said:
Robert Wang has an encompassing take to the idea of "satiety". He writes that the ordinary, divinatory meaning of the card is best reflected in the satisfaction and success of the Rider Waite deck, but that there is a more complex, spiritual meaning that refers to what Crowley was on about.

And did Mr. Wang deem to grace us with an explaination of what that 'more complex spirtual meaning' was? Or did he just refer to it without explaination ?(that seems like a Waite ploy in itself)

It could either relate to some complex qabbalistic context, but I feel he could be refering to a type of AC 'tantra', in which case it is tied in with the 7 cups and possibly relates to my seratonin comments above. See AC's 'Energised Enthusiam' and other tantric writings, like ' Eroto-comatose Lucidity'. Where it can be infered that a very potent magical force is encapsulated in this 'satiety' - even to the point that Crowley says; let my death be like this.