ADEPT LEVEL: Step 19-3; 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card

dadsnook2000

Step 19-3 of the ADEPT Level is more complex than earlier steps in the book as befits the level of study and experience we have gathered for our use so far.

FIRST, we have to do a spread for self-reading. Mary Greer suggests the Celtic Cross or another favorite spread that we often use. It would seem that the purpose of this spread, for this exercise, is to provide a rich enough platform of self-exploration to make good use of several cards and their application to a self-examination of some portion of ourselves or of our experience.

SECOND, a large number of Main Achetypes are given, 12 in all. These are followed by 6 Story Motifs. We may deliberately choose to follow one of these given story motifs and to use a spread which will support our choice, or we can choose a spread to address our overall reading and self-examination and take whatever story motif and outcome that we find there. At this stage of our learning process the nature of what we find and how we use it is much more important than following specific rules.

To state what my intent is relative to this exercise, I am contemplating the use of either of two spreads, the discovery of a story motif that flows out of my reading, and to cast the spread with the intent of addressing the basis, process and growth/benefits of my topic for my own life and for the lives of others affected by what I've done. I'm trying to develop a big view relative to a major project in my current life.

So, good luck and have fun is my wish for those who follow this path. Dave

dadsnook2000

Dave's Step 19:3, part one

For this step I've decided to use my favorite Triangle Spread which I've adopted from Julia Sharman-Burke. This "triangle" consists of two cards at the base of the triangle, two cards moving up the rights side of the triangle, two cards coming down the left side of the triangle, and one card in the middle.

The reading with this spread will address my 37 years of astrological study and what is is/has produced at this point in time as I approach the finishing-point of my book. The book represents a culmination-point in the learning and teaching processes of these years. Although I feel that one may write a book to teach and to share, one ends up learning and refining their understanding of the book's subject matter. So, who gets the most out of it? And, what can I find in terms of an overview that I have gotten and given out of this length process?

Let's describe the spread positions and the cards drawn.

** The BASIS of my astrological studies relates to cards one and two.
**** Card one talks about the basis of what I've learned. Fey Queen/Wands.
**** Card two describes the guiding influences. Fey Six/Wands.
Both cards of this side of the triangle are wands.

** How I DEVELOPED and used these studies relates to cards three & four.
**** Card three is what I primarily taken from my studies. Fey eight/swords
**** Card four points how I have USED THIS KNOWLEDGE. Fey eight/cups.
Both cards of this side of the triangle are eights.

** How I've GROWN and HELPED OTHERS relates to cards five and six.
**** Card five is what I've become from these studies. Fey Knight/pentacles
**** Card six points to how I have/will help others. Fey three/pentacles.
Both of these cards are pentacles.

** Card seven, in the middle, points to the overall theme and path of these 37 years of study and application. Fey seven/cups.

At this point I will make an initial brief reading. In the next part, part two, I will reinterpret this spread in the light of the archetypes and story motif suggestions given by Mary Greer.

CARD ONE: Queen of Wands representing what I've learned about astrology.
This Queen symbolizes one who has been a rebel and taken alternate paths along the way. As an adult, she now is past all of the fits and starts of her early years and is now engaged and enjoying the creative part of life.

The card shows a Queen with long green hair, her body tattooed with leaves and vines. She touches her crown and her stomach, showing a new child on the way to being born. She represents how life's twists and turns leads us still to the place we were meant to be at.

I can relate to this card/position meaning, having started by studying with one of the astrological mainstays of the 1970's, Jeff Mayo of the Faculty of Astrological Studies in London, and then soon after shifting to the german-based Ebertin mid-point system emphasizing planetary astrology, soon after to Noel Tyl, and then to the Sidereal practices advocated by Irish astrologer Cyril Fagan.

CARD TWO: The Six of Wands represents the guiding influences of my studies. In this case, the card depicts a foreign Fey riding a large tortoise and carrying a Bonsai tree, an exotic species with strange flowers and leaves. This messenger is not an enemy, he carries a gift. Whatever his message, it represents something new, not the local "usual" things. New ideas, new possibilities, excitement is promised.

This card very nicely depicts the guiding influences of my early and later studies. I've always looked for what is new, what works, what doesn't work (throw it out if it isn't reliable). So far, so good. The cards and position meanings are working out nicely.

CARD THREE: The Fey Eight/Swords represents what I taken from Astrology. The card shows a female Fey with bound arms, legs and wings kneeling beside a very large sword driven into the ground. This is a compound image of one who is bound, one who cannot be permitted to exercise freedom of expression and action. The other side of this card is to represent one who will not bend before adversity or compromise. The sword can serve both the jailer and the prisinor --- it's only a matter of time before change comes. This is a card of persistence and the pursuit of what is right.

Again, I resonate with this card, having studies and tried almost every astrological technique and school of thought, then throwing out what doesn't seem reliable almost all of the time. Astrologically, that is a great deal. What I have retained as been about 5% of all the stuff that is promoted, but that 5% works all of the time. We each have to find our own truth and be true to what we learn and observe. So, I have taken only that which works and I've persisted in welding it into a single, simple and clear system.

CARD FOUR: How I have used this knowledge is represented by the Eight/Cups. This card shows a Fey walking away from a bejeweled Cup at the top of a flight of steps. A sickle Moon heralds the dawn of a new day (not the evening new moon as the crescent faces right -- the last phase of the Moon's cycle before a new moon).

This Fey is walking away from what was promised, what was hers to take. She could take the chalice for her own, but what is offered is not what is hers to use or to understand. She needs something else and is smart enough to reject that which is not right for her. I find comfort in this card as it seems to represent the path that I've taken which is not what so many others have taken. I use what I have found to be true, not what others say is true. How many astrologers have complete faith in their search and in the answers they find for themselves and others. Not many, I believe.

CARD FIVE: This Fey, the Knight of Pentacles, represents what I have become as a result of my astrological path. The Fey rides a large Rabbit, earth colored, which carries a pentacle about its neck. His sword is on his back as he rides along a lonely road, a distant castle/building in the distance. This card represents loyalty to a truth, and to ourselves. Pentacles are the practical substance of our lives.

For me, this is a card of affirmation.

CARD SIX: Representing how I have, how I will, help others is the famous "craftsman" card of the Waite-Smith deck where it depicts a craftsman carving a church decoration before two who are inspecting his work. The card in the Fey Tarot shows a Fey carving a large pentacle from wood, his chisel in his hand, a small lizard on his shoulder, a hooded Fey in the distant background watching from a glow of light.

This card depicts the creation of a perfect pentacle, even though is has been asked for by another. Only the craftsman can provide this service. What is created for another carries a touch of his spirit.

This is a fine card to show how I serve others, one to be proud of.

CARD SEVEN: This card represents the overall theme and path of my long studies. This card has come up recently in a prior posting. As I recall, I was very uneasy about the Seven/Cups. This card shows a very large purple dragon emerging from a large chalice above a Fey who is kneeling before the chalice.

The dragon is strange and magical, it is not necessarily ruthless or a threat. It represents the emotions that attend something that is not fully understood. We are cautioned that while we may not be afraid of what is discovered, others may be and that we have to work carefully. Caution, slow progress, care and support is necessary in one's teaching and guidance of others. We must be careful about dealing with dragons on behalf of others.

This care and caution is something I will have to meditate upon. In my studies with the Fey Tarot, I've used the Fool and the Hermit, among others. In this card the Fey is dressed much like the Hermit who was seeking his path among many twisted stairs and doors. That Hermit, for me, looked much like the Fey Fool --- a card I consider to be the most unique Fool in all of the Tarot decks I've seen. So, I will have to think about how this card can represent the path I've been on. Comments on another day.

In the next part, on another night, I'll pursue the rest of this step. Dave

dadsnook2000

A brief comment

Now that I've done this reading and related it to my astrological experiences, I'm totally astounded by how the cards tell the story. This happens with every reading, of course, but it is still astounding how the tarot cards tell the story.

I think we have to always keep this wonder before us. It is a kind of miracle that we who read, whatever our level and skills, get to enjoy that others don't have an opportunity to enjoy. Its our connection to the universe, our own personal affirmation of mysteries that we can't understand but which we can touch. Dave

squeakmo9

19:3

Using RWS and a small cross spread of 6 cards.

This spread is to look at the energies surrounding my chosen path in regards to improvement of my health.

Card 1-me…5 of cups
Card 2-(crossing card 1) what crosses me at the moment…King of Wands
Card 3-(above) my mind…10 of pents
Card 4-(below) foundation…3 of swords
Card 5-(left of cards 1&2) past…7 of cups
Card 6-(right of cards 1&2) future…Hierophant-rx

I read and found in the book interesting interps from Mary Greer that resonated with my cards within my chosen spread…

For the 5 of cups (card 1, me)-
Sacrifice, Healer, Martyr, Victim, Addict: This is the well-known “wounded healer” archetype, based on the maxim that you can only be healed by what wounded you. The more difficult aspects of victimization and addiction…
In changing my views on food, and proper nutrition, the road has been difficult, surprising, and rewarding. I have been educating myself on what food is (as ridiculous as it may sound), and how it may be effecting my overall health. Having done this for about a month has proven to be a challenge and yes, I have felt a loss, even a sorrow at what I should no longer eat to improve my health. It is a transition felt physically, emotionally, mentally, and I do realize the self-pitying aspects of which I must avoid.

For the 10 of pents (card 3, the mind)-
Family, Royalty: Included here is everything that relates to the classic notion of an inner mother, father, and child and ranges in experience from immaturity to mature responsibility…Ten of Pentacles also represents the family archetype.
This card is in the position of my mind, card 3, above. I realize that a change must be made and kept up with. My family is extremely supportive, and, frankly, I could not begin this without them, I am so very grateful.

For the 10 of pents (card 3, the mind) and the Hierophant-rx (card 6, future)-
Mentor, Guide, Teacher, Wise Old One, Higher Self: This category indicates wisdom but also where something has matured past its prime. It is the oracular voice of counsel and guidance, which provides detached and philosophic answers rather than immediate ones.
Again, going back to feeling supported…I was at my local library one day last month, taking out a few cd’s, as the lady was processing me out, her computer stalled. She said it would take a bit to reboot, and as I waited something caught my eye to my right. It appeared to be a small book, but in drawing it closer, I realized it was an audio book called In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. I read the back of it and by the time the computer was up, I decided to check it out as well. That was the beginning of my interest in improving my health as I learned more about the anatomy of food. I do see these happenings as given guidance and proof that I am ready for a change.

For the 10 of pents (card 3, the mind)-
Creation, Birth, Death, Rebirth: All ritual can be seen as re-enactments of a “first time” as well as a change of seasons or change of states that take us through death into rebirth.
There is a need within me to think about food in a different manner. It is almost a need to know a truth about the food I eat that I did not know before. I have tried different diets in the past, but have failed. When I heard this particular audio book, I really felt like I was uncovering something hidden. Something I did not know that was useful to me on different levels. I think that is what made it so appealing…uncovering, revelation of truth. And in wanting to adhere to a proper diet for the rest of my life, I think I really needed to go deeper as to what nutrition really is all about. Most of the information I heard made my jaw drop, and was sort of a “scared straight” moment.

For the Hierophant-rx(card 6, the future) and the 7 of cups (card 5- the past)
Shadow, Devil, Tempter: This is whatever inhibits, or blocks the path through life. In Jungian psychology, the Shadow describes aspects of your personality ignored or repressed by the conscious mind. Marie-Louise von Franz, in Man and His Symbols, notes, “The function of the shadow is to represent the opposite sides of the ego and to embody just those qualities that one dislikes most in other people.” In the Middle Ages people avoided falling into the shadow of the Pope’s blessing (the raised hand of the Hierophant), as this shadow represented the Devil. The reversed Empress, Emperor, or Hierophant can take on these characteristics. This archetype also includes whatever tempts you to overindulge, like the Seven of Cups…
In the past (7 of cups) I did indulge in a cornucopia of junk food, you name it, I ate it! I also believe that even though I am in a better place with my food choices, there have been and will be(Hierophant-rx) times of temptation to the old ways.

So the story goes like this:
5 of cups
Card 1(me) I decided to make a change, the circumstances were ripe for a change in diet. In that change, I can only see what I have lost as far as nasty food choices are concerned. With some effort, and with time, I will find the good in making that change, and not to feel sorry for myself that I cannot eat what everyone else is eating. What crosses me…

King of Wands
(Card 2) I found some wonderful material (books and audio) to inspire and guide me. At first, I do admit, to moving a bit too fast into the change, but having taken a step back, I am moving at a much more slower pace, which agrees with me.

10 Of Pentacles
(Card 3, my mind) In addition to the books and information, I am finding more support and available conversation and feedback with my family. I am convinced, in my head, that this is the right direction to go in as far as good food choices.

3 of Swords
(Card 4, my foundation) What sort of started it all was that I was noticing that I was getting heart palpitations. Every so often I would get them, which had never happened before. So I had my blood pressure and pulse taken. My pressure has always been good, and remains so, but the beats per minute were through the roof. At one point I was 98 to 100 beats per minute which is not good for a person my age (42). Normally, for my age group, it should be between 60-90. This is what set me on a course to change.

7 of Cups
(Card 5, my past) I do realize that how I perceived food in the past was skewed. I indulged in too many bad foods for too long, and I have been looking for a change for a while now, on and off.

The Hierophant-rx
(Card 6, my future) This is an earth card and just like card 3, the mind (10 of pents), things must move slowly if the change is to be permanent. Temptation will be everywhere, but it is all so new to me, exciting, and I will have to find the good on this road that “seems” less traveled.

When I did this sub-step I shuffled and turned the cards like normal.
I wanted guidance and a real read for myself, which I hadn’t done in a while. To include Mary Greer’s quotes from the book seemed like the natural thing to do, because they just spoke to me.
Everything in my spread seemed clear to begin with, but with Mary’s interpretations of the archetypes, it made for a remarkable and flowing practice for me. This sub-step was really enjoyable.

dadsnook2000

For Squeaks

It looks like your reading also nailed your situation so well. Perhaps we should consider twenty or thirty readings a day about everything we do. These readings are so right on for us. But, then, I've seldom seen a reading that wasn't helpful. Except when you do a reading and get no feedback.

In any case, I was also struck by the "coincidental" discovery of the audio book at the library. We have all learned, of course, that there are no unintended and unnecessary coincidences. They are all small miracles waiting to be seen and to help us. I've trained myself to just panic stop and pay attention to any of the coincidental happenings in life. It makes things so much more interesting and fun. Great reading, great program for yourself. Dave

squeakmo9

dadsnook2000 said:
Perhaps we should consider twenty or thirty readings a day about everything we do. These readings are so right on for us. But, then, I've seldom seen a reading that wasn't helpful...

In any case, I was also struck by the "coincidental" discovery of the audio book at the library. We have all learned, of course, that there are no unintended and unnecessary coincidences. They are all small miracles waiting to be seen and to help us. I've trained myself to just panic stop and pay attention to any of the coincidental happenings in life. It makes things so much more interesting and fun.

I totally agree on both counts Dave, and yes, it is these tiny miracles that really mean so much:)

dadsnook2000

Dave's Step 19:3, part two--relating cards to archetypes

It's been a few more days than I had expected to get to this part of my study. I was intrigued by Mary Greer's listing of the archetypes within this step, and i wanted to review my cards relative to her listings just to see what emerged. I've copied the cards in my spread from the last post; they are shown below with the ***** headings.

** The BASIS of my astrological studies relates to cards one and two.
**** Card one talks about the basis of what I've learned. Fey Queen/Wands.
**** Card two describes the guiding influences. Fey Six/Wands.
Both cards of this side of the triangle are wands.

COMMENT: The Queen relates to the family and a supportive mother, in this case the process of supporting a rebellious or highly individualized approach to astrology, an approach that was highly critical of concepts and practices that were not properly applied or were as often wrong as right. Mary notes that the six/Wands is related to the archetypes of Warrior, Amazon, Hero, Knight, Bully. In the Fey Tarot this figure is more peaceful, more of a delivery person of gifts and support. Not that the given archetypes are to be feared, as they can also be protective. This is perhaps a clear case of showing how the Fey Tarot tends to move more to the "higher" side of its symbols.

** How I DEVELOPED and used these studies relates to cards three & four.
**** Card three is what I primarily taken from my studies. Fey eight/swords
**** Card four points how I have USED THIS KNOWLEDGE. Fey eight/cups.
Both cards of this side of the triangle are eights.

COMMENT: The eight/Swords is not linked to any of Mary's archetypes, yet this Fey figure (bound, restrained) is not about to give up principles or goals. In this sense it could be seen as the archetypes related to Initiation, Ordeal, Trial and Testing. I can say that my work constitutes a sort of "fighting for my ideas" by decades of testing and proving. The eight/Cups has a figure walking away from a full cup, similar to the Waite/Smith deck illustration. No archetype is linked to this by Mary but I see it as both Individuation and as seeking the holy grail. In other words, false promises and commonly accepted goals are not what I'm looking for. The Fey Tarot EIGHTS are very representative of strong personal attributes demonstrated by the actions that one takes.

** How I've GROWN and HELPED OTHERS relates to cards five and six.
**** Card five is what I've become from these studies. Fey Knight/pentacles
**** Card six points to how I have/will help others. Fey three/pentacles.
Both of these cards are pentacles.

COMMENT: Again, a pairing of cards for this side of the triangle spread; how is that for making a point. Who said the Tarot can't shout at you. The Knight/Pentacles suggests one who is maturing and on a mission. This card is attributed to the Warior, Hero, Amazon archetypes--a type of mastery at their level of bringing information. Nice. The three/Pentacles card represents in my view the Mystic, Artist, Poet, Storyteller, Dreamer category in the Archetypes given. The Fey version conveys the same symbolism as the Waite/Smith deck without others standing by to criticise/approve what is being created. That has to come later, and for a book this will be indicated by the interest it draws.

** Card seven, in the middle, points to the overall theme and path of these 37 years of study and application. Fey seven/cups.

COMMENT: The overall "influence" card shows a dragon rising from a large chalice (could it be anything else but large?) and looking down at a Fey sitting at the foot of the chalice. Mary links this card to the archetype of Shadow, Devil, Temptor. Mary says that this symbol can represent what one overindulges in. Perhaps it is like grabbing a tiger by its tail. The book does challenge astrological proclivity for astro-babble and complexity of processes used to determine what/when/why issues. I see simplicity as its own virtue.

All in all, this was a very helpful exercise. I feel that it defines the whole process of leading up to the book, writing the book, and the present launch of the final phase of editing and publishing. Dave