TotOP - VIII - Strength

Silverlotus

Astrological Influence - Leo
Element - Fire
Month - July, August
Contributor - Janet & Stewart Farrar

Strength is the first card of the second septenary. The scene on the card from Tarot of the Old Path in somewhat similar to the traditional RWS image, but there are many significant differences. On the RWS card, a woman dressed in a white robe and draped with flowers appears to be either opening or closing the mouth of a small lion. To me, it is a card that shows the woman's power over the lion. In the TotOP card, a naked woman rides on the back of a large lion. This card seems to be more about co-operation then about power.

There is a good deal of symbolism in this card, as there are in most of the cards. It is interesting that the woman is naked. I think that makes her look more vulnerable, as well as showing that she comes into this situation without anything beyond her own self. She has red hair, a nod to the element of this card. Above her head is the lemniscate, or sign of infinity. This, to me, points to her spiritual understanding. The sun in this card is directly above her head and the lemniscate, tieing her to the energy of the sun. In her hand, she holds a caduceus which is a symbol of the god Hermes, as well as being used in alchemy and medicine. In general, the two snakes represent the combining of powers, such as the sun and moon. The white sphere on the top of the staff represents "the Qabalistic sphere of Kether", according to the book, bringing in the energy of "ultimate spiritual essence". The sphere are the base of the caduceus is the sphere of Malkuth, representing the manifested material world. From that, I would guess the entwining powers the caduceus are representing are spiritual and material. The palm tree represents assured victory and the mountains point to higher thought.

So, where does that leave the lion? Well... the lion is the symbol of Leo, which is the astrological influence of this card. I think perhaps the lion in and of itself isn't so vital to the meaning of this card. It is the pairing of the woman and the lion that has meaning. The spiritual woman working together with the material lion. The coming together of two very different forces, which successful results. As a bit of an aside, I think the face of this lion resembles the face of the lion on the Visconti-Sforza deck, but I could be imagining it. :)

Silverlotus

When it comes to the personal reflections on these cards, I often find myself searching for something to say. Even though I have been studying tarot off and on of quite a while, I rarely can find the words to describe what I see or feel about a particular card. I'm thinking that I need more practice reading for others, or perhaps more mediation with the cards. So, as I sit down with this card I find myself saying yet again: I'm sort of confused about this card.

The name "Strength" brings to mind physical strength, and indeed some decks illustrate the scene to reflect this. But this deck doesn't. This card, as well as the Strength card in the Robin Wood deck, make me think of spiritual strength. One must be sure of themselves to try a stunt like riding a lion or allowing it to sleep in your lap. It's like magic, you are manifesting your will in the material world.

I think in everyday situations I would say this card represents over coming difficulties by staying the course and remembering your ideals. It is about willpower, fortitude, and courage, all augmented by your spiritual strength. You may need to do something you don't like, such as working at a job that is going no where, but as long as you keep your spirit strong, you will be able to endure it. And perhaps it is also about making plans to move on, drawing on your inner strength.

Does that seem to fit? Or am letting life intrude to much into my meaning?

ArwenNightstar

Silverlotus said:
woman's power over the lion. In the TotOP card, a naked woman rides on the back of a large lion. This card seems to be more about co-operation then about power.

A down-and-dirty quick reading on this card once gave me MED SCHOOL in bright lights in my head. I asked the person if they were thinking about Med School and they were. The next card was the Empress so I told them it looked like their wish to be an OB-GYN was a good path for them. They were quite surprised.

Strength to me is about controlling what you have even if what you have is something others see as out of control. :)

Two of Wands

Quote (Silverlotus):

Does that seem to fit? Or am letting life intrude to much into my meaning?

No, I think you're absolutely right and I think you've analysed this card really well. So much so that I have nothing to add, other than that, for me, the strength card combines the physical with the mental, bringing to mind the phrase:

"A healthy body, a healthy mind."

The really astute among us will always strive to have both, and thereby each will enhance the other.

Moongold

Strength in Tarot of the Old Path

Hi Silverlotus............

A beautiful analysis of the card, I learned a lot, never having had the book for this deck.

A couple of observations: The mast that the woman holds represents the Tree of Life with Kether at the pinnacle and Malkuth at the bottom. I think the snakes represent the paths that connect the spheres on the Tree of Life and the spiral form. The Serpent, Teth, has a particular association with Strength in the Tree of Life.

Strength is on the 19th Path of the TOL, connecting Geburah (Severity) with Chesod (Mercy). Let me quote this book (Tarot Handbook by Ozaniec):

I am the main girder of the Individuality. I understand the use of both severity and mercy. I am stabilized spiritual strength.

Teth is mine which is the serpent in all its many windings. This is the great power known as Kundalini which raises the human to the level of the divine. It is also Mahakundalini, the Great Serpent which draws worlds into being. I have seen the Serpent at work both above and below. I have absorbed and been changed by the Serpent Power. Like the Serpent, I have emerged many times from myself. See the sign of infinity above my head? I share it with my brother the Magician. He wears the serpent girdle. I am one with my power. I am Strength. The spiral form holds many secrets. It is the sign of the Serpent. I am the Intelligence of all the activities of the Spiritual Beings. I have seen the spiral at work. I am privy to its secrets.

I agree with Silverlotus in that this image is about spiritual strength. I think this is so even in the RWS because Strength is opening the mouth of the Lion with no apparent effort - the Lion is completely subdued, looking almost like a puppy.

Tarot of the Old Path seems to have many strong associations with the the Qabalah, more so than the RWS. In this image we have the Tree of Life, the Serpent, the spiral form. I'll look out for more in the other cards as we go through them.

zagone

ArwenNightstar -- Your post is interesting to me because I too have had an actual flash of vision relating to the images in these cards that gave me meanings unrelated to the traditional meanings of the cards involved. I guess this is normal for some readers, but so far for me the magic is in the layout of the card placement. From there out its a matter of study. This deck has put me on notice that psychic flashes are possible for me in readings -- hopefully I can develop this further.

The TotOP Strength card reminds me very much of the Strength card from Alchemical Tarot. For an image of this card, please visit:

http://thealchemicalegg.com/AStrength.jpg

In looking through its book I see a few relevant passages:

"The lion represents our untamed animal nature, our libido, and the virgin represents our higher self. The higher self tames the lower animal nature through love."

This passage explains more fully what the lion is for -- Silverlotus said the lion represented the material earlier, and this passage I think fleshes that idea out -- that its our "animal self".

The lady (please see the picture) holds a device strangely like the caduceus in some respects -- a flaming heart with the Sun and the Moon directly above it pouring their energies into it. The book explains the flaming heart as a symbol of love with the Sun and Moon representing male and female energies (like the Lovers card). Here too is a spiritual take on the Strength card -- a reference is made to this card being like when the soul enters the body to uplift it. I don't pretend to completely understand the alchemistry behind this...

-- Zagone

ArwenNightstar

zagone said:
ArwenNightstar -- Your post is interesting to me because I too have had an actual flash of vision relating to the images in these cards that gave me meanings unrelated to the traditional meanings of the cards involved. I guess this is normal for some readers, but so far for me the magic is in the layout of the card placement. From there out its a matter of study. This deck has put me on notice that psychic flashes are possible for me in readings -- hopefully I can develop this further.

-- Zagone

Nod, I think if you let yourself go, it happens!