Thoth all the way?

dianekay

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I started with my first Thoth deck in May and have been working exclusively with it since. I recently purchased and tried another deck (Hermetic Tarot) but I just can't leave Thoth now. I'm so engrossed in the beautiful Thoth images and in what I've learned so far. Is this true for most of you? Is it Thoth all the way or do you sometimes use other decks too?

DDwarks

It seems to be the way for most Thothies!
I've started out with the RW system and only just recently started to study the Thoth - with a Thoth inspired deck first ( Ancient Egyptians tarot), and now just Thoth.
I love it. Pretty daunting at first but I can't see myself reverting back to RW anytime soon.

Zephyros

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I started with my first Thoth deck in May and have been working exclusively with it since. I recently purchased and tried another deck (Hermetic Tarot) but I just can't leave Thoth now. I'm so engrossed in the beautiful Thoth images and in what I've learned so far. Is this true for most of you? Is it Thoth all the way or do you sometimes use other decks too?

Hi dianekay, welcome to Aeclectic!

There was a time once when I used to flit from deck to deck. I had no problem with it but I guess I didn't know what I was missing. Ever since discovering the Thoth I've felt I've found "the one" and haven't really looker further. I still use my other decks occasionally but the Thoth is "mine" and there's no replacement. It's been that way for over ten years now, guess I'm hooked.

dianekay

Thanks!

This is great to hear. I'm hoping this will prove true for me. I'm looking forward to learning more about Thoth on the forum! Thanks.

smw

Hi Dianekay

All the way for me so far. I can't believe that I have already had the Thoth as part of my life for nearly two years now. I am not quite sure how that happened and the time has gone so quickley. I originally bought the Thoth as an impulse buy as I was in a stressful position at the time and wanted a helpful distraction. Or perhaps the timing was right in some way. If I hadn't been at such a low point I don't think I would have been open to exploring things.

A toe in and the Thoth hooks you :) not to say it isn't challenging though, sometimes insights gained feel soaring, other times limping.

Barleywine

I started with the Thoth in 1972 and used it exclusively until I joined AT in 2011. I bought an RWS deck so I could talk intelligently about it with forum members, and started using it for readings to get more familiar with it. But I often read it wih a Thoth/Golden Dawn slant because the scenic minor cards don't always "speak true" to me in the same way the Thoth/GD correspondences do. Although Crowley's and Waite's decks came out of the same esoteric system, Crowley elaborated on the source material while Waite seemed to intentionally obscure much of it, and Pamela Colman Smith's personal contributions served to muddy the water a little more. For me, the Thoth is still the "gold standard."

Marcus R

I have a selection of RWS decks I use often. When I want to consider my life paths and spend time contemplating a spread for myself then it is always the Thoth.

Nemia

For many years, I read nearly exclusively with my first deck, my beloved Thoth. I bought the Morgan Greer to understand what the books I read were talking about. In the last few years, I broadened my horizons and even bought an RWS (the commemorative set). But the Thoth is my most important, most beloved, most influential and most reliable reading deck. It's also been my main pathway to the esoteric traditions of kabbalah and alchemy (I got to know astrology before I became obsessed with tarot and it helps.)

It's perfectly possible to remain focused on Thoth all the way. It's such an inexhaustible deck. And it gives such wonderful readings - clear, sharp, just great.

EmpyreanKnight

The Thoth is my main deck, and the one I am most devoted to. While I still have worlds to explore about it, I am not averse to taking on the exciting and colorful landscapes of the myriad decks that inhabit the Tarot universe.

That said, I have only been studying the Tarot for less than a year. I do plan to get proficient in a handful of Tarot though, and with my personality I am not really the type to stick to just one. But who knows, eventually I might feel so at home with one deck that I would almost always invariably use it.

Thoughtful

l love my Thoth its a wonderful working tarot for me. Though l do use other decks, mainly for reading for others. l like to give people a choice.
l never tire of looking at and admiring the artwork in Thoth, each time l use it l see something new.
What l like best, is that it never lets me down, always gives incredible readings and is the only tarot that does not go cold on me, or that l ever experience blocks with.
Best Tarot ever.