Legends: Knight of Shields

WalesWoman

I'll do a better description later...not that it's a major effort to go up and get the book and card, but I'm glued to my chair and know if I go upstairs I'll climb in bed with a book instead of coming back down.

This card has been coming up in almost all of my readings this week and it finally dawned on me what it could mean...as well as other things, but this is what it means to me. Ground Hog's Day... no matter if the ground hog saw his shadow and decided it was clear and too cold to venture out or didn't see his shadow, it's still the mid-point between Winter Sostice and Spring Equinox... six more weeks until it's officially Spring.

In this card Bors plods determindly along, the ground bare and black from the melting snows, it's still cold, but winter's back is broken. The days grow longer a few more minutes at a time. Slowly, gradually, almost unnoticable changes are in the air. The ground is soft and wet, sticking to the bottoms of boots, until you are rolling on stilts of mud, slogging doggedly along. You can't stop or you'll still freeze, steady movement keeps you warm, the thought of where you are going that keeps you moving on, looking forward to being done with this quest, but there's a reason you can't stop. You can't, it's a matter of honor to fulfill your purpose no matter what life throws at you, no matter what the obstacle, someone is depending on you to stay on track and prove yourself.

Maybe it's that hint of spring that that gives new hope and life to these cold dark winter days, that feeling if you can just get over this hump, everything will be fine. Never give up, never give in, even though it seems like you've been in this saddle forever and just want to get off...hold on just a bit longer because you can almost see your destination just on the horizon.

Seems early for up here, but I saw a flock of Canadian geese this morning as I drove past a small lake milky white from the ice melting, warming my heart and bringing a smile to my lips.

Lyones

Originally posted by WalesWoman
Ground Hog's Day ....

Yeah, it reminds me a bit of the movie *lol* ... same thing, day in and day out. The horse is throwing it's head back, and I don't think Bors can see any further than the horses ears - they are moving, but slowly, probably due to the slippery path. The reigns are not tight and controlling though - I get the impression that Bors is allowing the horse to move at it's own pace ... he's not pushing it faster than feels comfortable and not holding it back - sometimes it's easier to just let nature do the work in it's own time. The horse looks a bit spooked to me, so he will need to give it encouragement and guide it along the rocky crags.

Sophie-David

WalesWoman said:
Maybe it's that hint of spring that that gives new hope and life to these cold dark winter days, that feeling if you can just get over this hump, everything will be fine. Never give up, never give in, even though it seems like you've been in this saddle forever and just want to get off...hold on just a bit longer because you can almost see your destination just on the horizon.
We lived in Prince Rupert for five years, which is of course just southwest of Prince of Wales Island. Although still in a marine climate, the seasons are much more dramatic at that latitude, the winter days so much shorter, and the heavy snow from the Pacific weather systems can be significant. But if I go inland here I can imagine a scene of the early melt such as Bors is encountering. Although hope is rising with the lengthening days, this can be the most treacherous time for travel, the melting snow slippery on the remaining ice (incidentally we actually did have a centimeter of snow overnight in Ucluelet itself, but of course its all gone now in the early afternoon). Considering the conditions, the caution of Bors, the Knight of Shields, and his horse is well warranted.

WalesWoman said:
Seems early for up here, but I saw a flock of Canadian geese this morning as I drove past a small lake milky white from the ice melting, warming my heart and bringing a smile to my lips.
We are right in the flight path here, but we call them Canada Geese. This is far too early for their main migration, but perhaps they have dropped in from the northern part of their winter range in Canada. The wild goose is a wonderful Celtic symbol of the Holy Spirit, from the album Iona by the band Iona:
Here I stand, looking out to sea
and I say a prayer
that the wild goose will come to me
that the wild goose will come to me
Lyones said:
I get the impression that Bors is allowing the horse to move at it's own pace ... he's not pushing it faster than feels comfortable and not holding it back - sometimes it's easier to just let nature do the work in it's own time. The horse looks a bit spooked to me, so he will need to give it encouragement and guide it along the rocky crags.
Bors seems very in tune with the needs of the horse, doesn't he? The horse is a bit nervous with its slippery footing, so Bors has eased up on the reins. This is the positive aspect of Shields (Pentacles), the connection with the physical and the careful management of resources. If Bors is to survive this journey, he knows that he must care for his horse, perhaps even more so than for himself.

There is an interesting contrast between the Knight of Shields and the Knight of Spears, both of whom are pictured in an alpine environement. Where the Knight of Spears projects poise and confident energy, an adventurous and assertive ego, the Knight of Shields is more restrained, very reliant on his horse's instincts, perhaps in greater harmony with the physical world around him. The Knight of Spears stops and gathers perspective, but the Knight of Shields engages actively although relaxed and cautiously with his harsh environment.

Of the four knights, Bors has the most elaborate and royal dressing for his horse, concerned not only with appearances but with his animal's comfort in the winter's journey, the horse's cloak and saddle cloth arranged in careful orderly detail. The horse is black, like the essence of the earth which is the suit's element, the melting screes and jagged cliffs reinforcing the association.

The text impresses us with Bors' patient confidence and loyal endurance, tempered by compassion and courage. To be one of the three knights whose heroic purity brought him to witness the perfect wholeness of the Holy Grail speaks for his strength of character and the effectiveness of his discipline.

WalesWoman

sophie-david said:
There is an interesting contrast between the Knight of Shields and the Knight of Spears, both of whom are pictured in an alpine environement. Where the Knight of Spears projects poise and confident energy, an adventurous and assertive ego, the Knight of Shields is more restrained, very reliant on his horse's instincts, perhaps in greater harmony with the physical world around him. The Knight of Spears stops and gathers perspective, but the Knight of Shields engages actively although relaxed and cautiously with his harsh environment.

Of the four knights, Bors has the most elaborate and royal dressing for his horse, concerned not only with appearances but with his animal's comfort in the winter's journey, the horse's cloak and saddle cloth arranged in careful orderly detail. The horse is black, like the essence of the earth which is the suit's element, the melting screes and jagged cliffs reinforcing the association.

I really liked your comparison, it hadn't occured to me the similarities and differences between the two knights. It is also a reminder to for me to take it a bit more literally since we just got snow dumped on us, to make sure everything is all together and ready. Take things slow on the road, make sure the tires are in good shape, that my horsepower is in good working order and that there is emergency stuff packed, extra blankets, water, snacks, chains, etc. That we are dressed and protected from the environment. I like the element of "spring around the corner" but needed the reminder it ain't over yet, till the robin sings.

And if we're travelling, to leave early and give ourselves plenty of time to get to where we are going, rushing will just get us in the ditch. It's icy and beautiful out there today, but have obligations that can't be ignored or postponed.

Grizabella

Has anyone noticed that the horse seems to have fancy gold shoes on?

Sophie-David

It appears that gold horseshoes have been used in extravagant situations, but not for trekking across mountain screes. Brass horseshoes are used however: I don't know what the pros and cons are compared to steel and iron. Anna-Marie may have been using a bit of artistic license here, or it may be intended that the shoes are made of brass.

WalesWoman

Well, no one said it had to be authentically accurate...maybe Bors treated his horse to the best, like putting premium in the gas tank to make it the car run better, cleaner and last longer. Nothing but the best to get the most out of it, sort of like you get what you put into it, so give it your best.

What the best word besides best? LOL

Good, better, best,
strive for nothing less.......?

Was a motto of someone I used to know...so of course when I go to write it I can't remember the second part except the nothing less.
So that seems like something the Knight of Shields would say, patiently, persistantly working his way up the ranks. Or his horse doesn't have feet made of clay...but gold...the real deal.

Lyones

Wow, so he does - and no ordinary horse shoes ... as you all probably know, generally shoes are just flat, nailed to the underside of the hoof - these are works of art - well done for spotting that Lyric :)

hmmm ... I was just thinking that if the whole shoe was made of gold it would be rather soft, not good for travelling far, but would protect the hoofs from being chipped on rocks. I'm not sure that it would keep out the cold though, being metal. That's an interesting legend you found there David - supporting candidates certainly seems to be part of the Knights function.

Ooh! I love this deck! ... so many interesting little things ... :D