Legend: Six of Swords: The Eachtra

Lyones

In much the same way that I feel a little left out with the 7 of Swords, and yet drawn into what is going on, the 6 of Swords makes us a participant. We are in the boat on a mission to Annwn or the Otherworlds. We face the front of the boat, and we can see by the light of the torch that there are no dangers - a man leans, relaxed on the figure-head, the water is calm. Another man sits in front of us rowing, and I have the awareness of a regular rhythm as the oar is dragged through the water, lifted, and then slaps the water softly on re-entry. He sways backward and forward, working as part of a team (although we can't see the others rowing - the boat would not be going straight if they were not there), coaxing the boat gently along. My guess would be that he's putting a little effort into it because there is a breeze blowing (as we see from the billowing capes, but the torch which lights the way is not much affected) and the boat could easity be taken off course.

Arthur's robes seem to be tattered, indicating that he's been through a rough time, and perhaps in seeking the "Court of Intoxication" which the Keeper of Words speaks of, it will take his mind off of the issues of the real world for a time, an interlude of escapism, an adventure anticipated and sought after.

The carved dragons head on the boat brings a sense of mystisism - it looks up to the starey sky, as if it could take off at any minute and fly out into the other realms. It strains forward, moves forward, looking for the other strange creatures it may encounter on it's journey.

WalesWoman

The "Court of Intoxication"...perfect for a temporary reprieve from something that vexes you. Escapism of any sort, be it drugs, alcohol or sleeping. The altime favorite I think could be shopping. But whatever that takes you out of the fire for awhile to calmer times. Lot of people go for a drive to clear their heads after an arguement or a stressful situation. I was just thinking about how when I'm doing something else, I can think better because I'm not so close to the situation and can get become detached for awhile. When it's time to come back, I can deal with it more effectively and objectively without it becoming overwhelming. (My ex hubby napped all the time and I decided it was his was means to escape everything, especially if he was overwhelmed by something...that or it's some family trait because his sons seem to have the same tendancy)

I usually think of this card as someone else's light that guides you and takes you away from some sort of emotional turmoil. So this symbolism makes more and more sense, we aren't doing the moving, but using something else to be carried away, using some other's light or desire or whatever to change our view. An artificial attitude adjustment.

This seems a bit more negative than I usually look at this, but I guess if we weren't so defeated from the five swords we could leave the situation on our own rather than needing something to carry us from it. One of the things about 6 swords is that usually this situation has been going on for so long, that if you don't get away from it it will cause greater damage. Basically your coping mechanisms have reached their maximum levels and can't take anymore.

This could even be helpers, friends, others who care for you and spirit you away, you may not know where to, but they have a light to help avoid any obstacles, to get you safely to a safer, calmer place.

If swords are fire, I could see this as getting away from that very "Court of Intoxication"...when it's become a problem rather than a "recreational" retreat.

Good card to think about today! It's been one of those and I've been wanting to go away all day long...even if it's only up to my room to settle my thoughts and emotions and things that have vexed me. Isn't just amazing that there are no coincidences? Thanks, I needed this.

Sophie-David

This seems a very romantic journey, the water is calm, the night clear, and it must be a warm breeze for the man at the front to allow it to leave his torso bare. Although we are clearly out under the night sky, the torch gleaming on the calm waters and the cliff rocks with their spectral trees make me think we have just emerged from an underground cavern, a journey through the unconsious, a land of fantasy and dreams. Perhaps this is a short reprise, a brief waking up, and we will soon sleep again. There is definitely a subtle sense of the unworldly in this card, even without reading the story of the islands of the Otherworld.

And in the story, the character of Barinthus, "who guided mortals beyond the veil" is a very open ended suggestion - beyond the veil to death/rebirth, to fantasy, to the fey, to the unconscious? This is a very evocative card, when I first saw I remember it took my breath away...

I just checked the pronunciation of eachtra: it is AHKH-truh.

Lyones

Originally posted by Sophie-David
And in the story, the character of Barinthus, "who guided mortals beyond the veil" is a very open ended suggestion - beyond the veil to death/rebirth, to fantasy, to the fey, to the unconscious? This is a very evocative card, when I first saw I remember it took my breath away...

Yeah, I also get that kind of "where are you taking me?" experience happening with this card. It's like you know there's something out there, but you're not sure what form it will come in or what will inhabit it, but the trip is exciting anyway.

I just checked the pronunciation of eachtra: it is AHKH-truh.

Just as well you're on the ball David, I would never have gotten that one right :s - thanks for posting your findings and sharing them with us :)

I usually think of this card as someone else's light that guides you and takes you away from some sort of emotional turmoil. So this symbolism makes more and more sense, we aren't doing the moving, but using something else to be carried away, using some other's light or desire or whatever to change our view. An artificial attitude adjustment.

I really like this way of looking at it. It's not so much moving under our own steam, but being carried away, maybe on a safer, calmer route, perhaps taking the easy way out?

And talking of being carried away ... in another context, the reversed meaning that the Keeper of Words speaks of as "having to deal with unsolicited advances and harassment", makes me think that reversed our adventurers are uninvited or not welcomed by the Otherworlds, or are suspicious of their motives for crossing the line ... and if we look back to Temperance (Pages 86 & 87), we see that this suspicion was warranted, as this adventure was also planned to "raid the stores of the Fay". These guys were gate-crashing the Twilight Land for their own amusement and benefit.

It can also be seen as running away from a messy situation, for that is what happened in one version of the legend, Arthur had to be rescued from the faery prison (Prison of the Strange-Very Strange) after so many of his men were killed. This version also says that Arthur wept, which in itself is an emotional release.

But ... whether it is right side up or reversed, I see this card as being positive from the perspective of moving away from danger, because ultimately Arthur is safe and sound, it may take some time to traverse, but as Anna-Marie says, it's "seeing the light at the end of the tunnel".

WalesWoman

6 Swords....

Attachments

• Legends 6 Swords.gif
    Legends 6 Swords.gif
    38.5 KB · Views: 473