Legend: Ace of Shields: Evalach's Shield

Lyones

Like the 7 of Shields, we have something very special here - everything about the picture draws attention to the shield on the wall. Firstly, it is central - the focal point. There is a window off to the right, although we can't see it, the sun's rays give the room it's warmth, along with the heavy red curtains - drawn back to reveal the magnificence of the shield.

A slight breeze disturbs some leaves, and gives them the appearance of yods http://en.mimi.hu/esoteric/yod.html associated with the name of God and "represents the priciple or origin of all things", a sanctification, sealing or promotion of.

The smoke from the incense, the leaves and the light intermingle, giving me a sense of the supernatural gently at work ... something awesome, intangible - yet undeniably real, inspiring worship or praise. The shield is said to have been housed in an abbey, and the cross to be drawn in Joseph of Arimathea's blood. For many religions, blood is seen as symbol of life force, and where the Christians saw the shedding of blood as a gift, Joseph made a gift of his own, on his deathbed, to his friend Evalach.

The design which holds the shield to the wall, seems to be a face created from leaves, perhaps one of the nature gods, so here too we have the interweaving of the old and new faiths, but the adage, all that glitters is not necesserily gold comes to mind, and considering that magic can be found in what seems commonplace - it leaves me wondering which of the objects on the wall is held in such reverance ;).

WalesWoman

I've been doing some reading on this, but to be honest, this card leaves me a bit...duh. I have a hard time connecting to it and end up visualizing the Ace Pents in Morgan-Greer...a garden with an open gate and a path leading onto the crown.

Reading the story behind this card has helped somewhat, but I usually look at the leaves (yods) blowing about and look at it as "the winds of change", the doorway of opportunity, and the shield as protection and strength to see you though it. Otherwise, it seems so empty...but I guess it is the opportunity to fill it with life and growth and something of a concrete nature, since it is built from solid building blocks or rather supported by something solid that has been built upon.

Sophie-David

From doing comparative studies and discussing several of the cards before I had reached them in my card-a-night discipline, had already seen many of the cards before I came to them in turn. But I had not seen the Ace of Shields until about three nights ago when I came to it in its order. I was really struck by its profound, restrained and beautiful holiness.

This card is full of leaves, the golden "yod leaves" on the incoming breeze, the leafy god figure on the wall, the golden leaves and branches on the luxurious curtains. It is evocative with the potential for life and growth, but life which has been preserved and transformed, made sacred and golden to last through the soul's winter.

Not only is this scene both sumptiously regal and spiritual, as befits Pentacles (Shields), but the observer is assailed with subtle sensory impressions also. Physicality is honoured in the smell of the incense, the light rustle of the leaves on the breeze, the rich colours of the curtains contrasting with the simple stonework of the wall and floor. It is a very fitting and special way to initialize the suit.

Lyones

Originally posted by WalesWoman
Otherwise, it seems so empty...

I think it's the minimalism that I actually like about it - the simplicity, the uncomplicated, the basics.

There is no other like this shield, it is one of a kind, an original.

Originally posted by Sophie-David
This card is full of leaves, the golden "yod leaves" on the incoming breeze, the leafy god figure on the wall, the golden leaves and branches on the luxurious curtains. It is evocative with the potential for life and growth, but life which has been preserved and transformed, made sacred and golden to last through the soul's winter.

Not only is this scene both sumptiously regal and spiritual, as befits Pentacles (Shields), but the observer is assailed with subtle sensory impressions also. Physicality is honoured in the smell of the incense, the light rustle of the leaves on the breeze, the rich colours of the curtains contrasting with the simple stonework of the wall and floor. It is a very fitting and special way to initialize the suit

Oh, I really like what you've said here, and so beautifully expressed too. Do you get the feeling you want to whisper when you look at it? Like you're in some great art gallery or museum?

Sophie-David

Lyones said:
Oh, I really like what you've said here, and so beautifully expressed too. Do you get the feeling you want to whisper when you look at it? Like you're in some great art gallery or museum?
Thank you Lyones. Yes it is breath taking, a sacred space.

WalesWoman

Ok, austerity! Not ostentatiousnes...simple elegance. Now I get it better, riches don't have to be seen to be realized or felt or sensed...since Shields does represent the senses. The blocks of stone are solid and age well, are long lasting...think I said this already, but too lazy to look.

I also had a thought about the cross painted on the shield with blood, not in a normal Christian sense, but refering to the four directions, or even the left/feminine, right/masculine and up/divine/spirit and down/earthly/physical. That it is stirring a change from any or in all of these directions.

It looks like an alcove, like if you walked through the doorway, you would find passages leading to the treasure trove or something else, depending on which way you turn.

Lyones

Originally posted by WalesWoman
Not ostentatiousnes...simple elegance. Now I get it better, riches don't have to be seen to be realized or felt or sensed...

Yes :D It's like walking into an art gallery, and your eyes are drawn to one picture and you can't take your eyes off of it - there may be nothing grand about the painting or the painter, just that you are mesmerised by what it symbolises for you personally .... or like the way you feel when someone says something really nice about you or does something nice for you - a simple guesture, and you hadn't realised they felt that way ... makes you feel special, makes you feel that you are of value ... it gives me goosebumps *lol*.