Legend: Three of Spears, The Horse Fair

Sophie-David

I find the Three of Spears (Staves) one of the most appealing cards in the Legend deck. There is that pleasant feeling of excitement that open air fairs have, and the card has a bright, open and natural feel. A man is carefully examining the teeth of a fine looking horse, perhaps the medieval equivalent of kicking the tires. It appears that the seller is a woman who stands respectfully waiting for the prospective buyers decision. I feel that she is not actively pushing the sale since they both know that this is a good horse, but polite traditions make transactions run smoothly.

Other horses wait in the background, and someone's dog is drinking from a barrel in the foreground. The dog adds a nice touch of realism and a friendly feeling to the scene. Dogs are associated with kings in the Legend deck, so the dog in this card makes me associate the scene with a mastery of the practical.

WalesWoman

I like this card too. I think of the dog as quenching a thirst and faithful companion, watch dog, etc.ie,. So things are ok, if the dog is thirsty and not sounding the alarm or growling. And since it is water, I'd think that emotionally there are needs being met and satisfied.

I guess I saw this as a couple, she was hanging back, holding the reins, but letting the man make his judgement. But it does make a bit more sense if she is the owner and he is checking out of he wants it or not. The dumbest homilies always come to me when I look at Tarot cards. So the one I think of for this one is, (don't).... Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth. Check everything out very carefully, don't jump to conclusions with out checking the facts. Be discerning, don't just take the first thing that comes along or rush into anything until you know exactly what you are getting. Don't go by first appearances...

Lyones

This card is one of my favorites too. It makes me think of the importance horses had in people's lives back then - they were used for everything from pulling ploughs, to being ridden, for transport and into battle, to hauling produce (and anything else that was too heavy for man to move alone), exploration of the countryside, for hunting ...

The horse looks as if he's fiddeting a little, but not unused to being handled. A good horse would have been worth it's weight in gold, and although the haggling and barter would have been a serious business, I always think this man is getting a good bargain. It also makes me think of getting rid of what you are not using and profiting by it, as there is an exchange of one thing for another ... and it also makes me think it's always good to have a second opinion.