Legend: Four of Spears/ La Cote Male Tail & Maledisant

snowy25

The feeling of joy and selebration is all over this card.
The guests make way for the merried couple on the dancefloor.
There is food and laughter and the happy La Cote male Tail lifts up his newly bride Maledisant.

It's almost like in a fairytale: "And they lived happy ever after" kind of mood.

Sophie-David

Following an interesting story of how a woman's scorn turned to love, this card celebrates the the marriage of La Cote Male Tail and the newly named Beauvivante. To me Lancelot is a hero of the Arthurian saga in that he recognizes and pursues his life's love. That Lancelot gave this couple Castle Pendragon speaks of the regard that he held for them, and in a sense this card speaks of how things might have gone differently for Lancelot and Guenivere if their love had come to a better end.

This is a romantic scene which focuses on the newlyweds as they occupy the centre of the floor. Beauvivante's dress appears to be a rich purple velvet, both feminine and regal. The colours and forms in the room swirl around them, adding to the celebratory energy of the card.

There are several interesting details which add life and realism to the card. In the foreground a small child is expressing some concern - perhaps it is past bedtime. To the right of centre two figures swirl scarves in the air, a purple and a grey one - or it may be that is only one scarf together with its shadow. Each swirling scarf forms the number "2" - and of course 2 plus 2 equals 4, reminding us of the place of this card in the suit of Spears.

While searching for further details on La Cote Male Tail I came across this [url linking another forum removed by Moderator] by someone named, ahem, Lyones.;) This Lyones noticed that the orange character at the far left of the balcony is casting the shadow of the fool on the wall to the right, and aptly suggested
The shadow of the Fool on the wall in the balcony reminds us of the new beginning, excitement and carefree atmosphere of the ocassion.
I also found that La Cote Male Tail was also called Breunor le Noire (the Black).

snowy25

Those links just keep me reading...
The old English style makes it a bit harder but wurth the effort.
I think later this week I'll pick up reading the mythic enceclopedia my partner bought for me some time ago.
There are some parts of it of the Arthurian legend.
But I hope they didn't transelate many of the names.

2+2 make 4
The 4 of Wands is used in tarot as a foundation.
In one part of the interpretations.
but a family as a foundation takes a minimum of two people living together.
(Or someone who has a pet is sometimes considered as a family to)
So maybe the scarf suggests that by the merrige the two become family?

Sophie-David

Hi Snowy, yes that makes sense, the two are the foundation of the family. So the purple "2" represents this couple, and the shadow "2" the children (or pets;)) to come.

I also woke up thinking that the purple "2" represents their conscious selves, the shadow "2" their unconscious. In a well made marriage, there is a union at more than the outer or ego level, the union extends deep into the soul.

snowy25

Sophie-David said:
I also woke up thinking that the purple "2" represents their conscious selves, the shadow "2" their unconscious. In a well made marriage, there is a union at more than the outer or ego level, the union extends deep into the soul.

And I believe not only thruw the soul but also other aspects play a role.
Not always a couple is united in marriage by love.
In the early days a lot of polittical aspects played a rol.
Someone with a high status was arranged in a marriage.
Just thinking out loud now,
The visable 2 is the union of two people everyone can see.
The shadow 2 are all the aspects behind the marriage, like social status.

But even in a marriage now there is more then the eye can see.
There is all sorts of baggage each person takes in to the marriage and it ought to be for better and for worse.
But in all marriages it's not all about sunshine.
(I like this image of the card because most of the time this day it is.)
A union isn't about the couple alone but also about each of the ones life, friends and family.
That also includes jobs, hobbies upbringing, trauma's etc.

And in numberology the 4 is a basis.
The established home where the 5 can become in conflict with the outside world.
The 3 is in surch of stability.
So the 4 is in the middle of all of this, a moment passing by.

I hope this makes sence

Snowy

Sophie-David

Oh yes, it does make sense: the shadow can represent not only the unconscious but all the other social connections, experiences, economics and perceptions in the background.

But what I like about the story behind the card is that the two did marry because they loved each other, and that the early relationship was tested and proven by how their mutual dislike gradually changed to respect and love.

WalesWoman

I'd never noticed the 2's in the scarf and shadow before, but I had noticed the shadow in the shape of jester or Fool up the second floor gallery. And marriage has been referred to as taking the plunge or the leap, which makes me think of all the places called Lover's Leap. Building that foundation for a beginning and leaping into the unknown future with another.

This couple I thought was dancing, her skirt swirling, but I think he is carrying her off the floor, so maybe the 4 Spears could also be being carried away by an idea, a concept.

I'm trying to figure out why the shadows seem to play such a significant role in this card. The scarf, the jester and the banner...which sort of looks like a raised sword held in someone's fist. That makes sense, 1 swords/passions as what was the beginnings for the 4 Spears. Ah, these are the shadows of this card, what it entails along with the celebration...taking the leap to follow desire for partnership.

snowy25

Sophie-David said:
But what I like about the story behind the card is that the two did marry because they loved each other, and that the early relationship was tested and proven by how their mutual dislike gradually changed to respect and love.

They had growth in their relationship and Breunor loved Maledisant before she loved him.
This realy is a story with a happy ending.
But in spite of this I don't want to clame on the story that much.
It will make the card lousy to read.

WalesWoman said:
I'm trying to figure out why the shadows seem to play such a significant role in this card. The scarf, the jester and the banner...which sort of looks like a raised sword held in someone's fist. That makes sense, 1 swords/passions as what was the beginnings for the 4 Spears. Ah, these are the shadows of this card, what it entails along with the celebration...taking the leap to follow desire for partnership.

I think you've awnsered your own question WalesWoman.
There are shadow aspects in the card because a union/ marriage isn't all about laughter and sunshine.
I think the shadow sides alsow provide the ups and the downs the two have to endure.

WalesWoman

Here it is...

Attachments

• Legends 4 Spears.gif
    Legends 4 Spears.gif
    46.6 KB · Views: 492

Lyones

Originally posted by Sophie-David
While searching for further details on La Cote Male Tail I came across this ... by someone named, ahem, Lyones.

*lol* Us Lyones's seem to get around ;)

I was just looking at the space around the couple on the dance floor and thinking how necessary that space is, to move and grow as a pair. The crowd are excited and want to be a collective part of their happiness, yet are still separated as onlookers.

In a way, I see this card as being similar to The Universe - being a wedding celebration, it takes into account everything that has gone before, but this special ocassion is a step forward in a different way of living that life. The culmination of events 'ends' in happiness, but it feels as if there is much more to come :)