OOP Tarot de Pumariega

Bhavana

Surprise, I....

It is tremendous fun. You will LOVE it.

How is your German ?

Oh OK:

The Tarot by Spanish artist Carlos Pumariega.

The Pumariega Tarot was created in 1990 and has achieved cult status since then. Pumariega's modern and futuristic art style is at first sight reminiscent of Picasso. But this is deceptive. Pumariega has his own style and he has joined the ranks of artists who are adding the painting of Tarot cards to their body of work.

In the design of the cards' symbolism Pumariega has relied largely on the traditional Tarot de Marseilles, which means that the minor arcana cards are not fully illustrated, but show only the suit symbols in the appropriate numbers. However, the artist has provided these cards with a little extra symbolism; although at first glance the extras seem more like "ornaments", on closer inspection, they support the elemental symbolism. In addition, some artistic liberties appear in the Major Arcana and Court cards. However, there is nothing that contradicts the Tarot symbolism of each card.

Pumariega's Tarot art is at once modern and timeless, but in some ways also breathes the air of the zeitgeist of the 1980s. Perhaps this is one reason that his Tarot has completely sold out. This is especially true in German-speaking countries, where the Pumariega Tarot was only rarely offered anyway. There was an international edition, which was mainly available in the Spanish-and English-speaking world. So the Tarot Pumariega is as well known there as it is in Germany. Still, even here you'll find it can occasionally show up at flea markets or in remainder shops. As there is, as far as I know, no reprint planned, collectors, especially those who have a penchant for art tarots, should therefore, when they discover a copy of the Pumariega somewhere, buy it on the spot.

You'll love it. (no on second thoughts, you'll hate it; sell it to debra !)

Thanks Gregory! mine is the international edition, I think...

gregory

I have no idea what they mean by that - I just translated ! (based on google to save time, and then heavily edited to make sense !!! I do speak German, but this was faster...) I've never seen one except with only Spanish titles...

Bhavana

I have no idea what they mean by that - I just translated ! (based on google to save time, and then heavily edited to make sense !!! I do speak German, but this was faster...) I've never seen one except with only Spanish titles...

this one has the spanish titles, and said in the description that it was an international version.

gregory

this one has the spanish titles, and said in the description that it was an international version.

Fascinating. When it arrives we must compare notes... I have no idea whether mine is !

zuckermr

Greetings.
You got a great deal. Enjoy the cards.

Bhavana

Fascinating. When it arrives we must compare notes... I have no idea whether mine is !

I have had it for about 2 weeks now - and was very pleased when it arrived, as the cards are in perfect condition, I don't believe they were ever used, or even shuffled. The box isn't even that bad, just slightly worn around the edges, not torn or anything. The deck is very bright, the images are whimsical to say the least, and the artist had some very strange ideas about what breasts should look like, or what directions they should point in. I have done a few readings with it, but because I have gotten a lot of new decks lately, not enough to really say much.

Greetings.
You got a great deal. Enjoy the cards.

thanks, yes I think I did too!!! If only this happened all the time!

Le Fanu

it's on ebay for $50, and on another site - UK, maybe - for over $100...
Just picked this up on the flea market this morning, complete with box and in excellent condition. He wanted 5 euros for it (how outrageous); I got him down to 3 euros - no idea whether it was rare or not - and now I find this thread.

Funny deck - it has been said that it is a bit like the Saaki-Saaki. I think I prefer this one. So 80s. I really quite like it. The artwork has a very odd dynamic energy.

Bhavana

Great deal - I think? Euros are like dollars, right? (yes I have a college education...sometimes I wonder) Anyway, enjoy it! I don't see them come up for sale very often, not online or on any of the tarot sites. I guess that is because there was only one printing.

I have the sakki sakki as well, and I suppose a few comparisons can be made in the style of the figures, but really, I don't find them all that similar. I like both. The cardstock of the Pumariega is awesome, not really thick but so...crisp. The artist definitely has a thing with breasts. And I love the wands, they look like chicken drumsticks. I don't read with mine, just take it out to look at it from time to time - are you going to use yours?

rylla

thanks, yes I think I did too!!! If only this happened all the time!

Now you are getting greedy :)

I love mine too. Very Spanish. Very colorful. One of a kind.