La Corte dei Tarocchi

thorhammer

OnePotato said:
Yes, on the originals there is gold leaf throughout.
It is very bright.

IMO, one of the most beautiful decks ever made.

My only criticism is that the overall color reproduction is a little washed out, because of the uncoated stock.
The originals are quite a bit deeper and richer.
But even this is probably a worthwhile trade off, as coated stock would have killed some of its charm.

I love it.
Ah, good to know. Thanks, OP. I agree with you about its beauty, and I would go so far as to say that coated stock would kill about 70% of its charm :D

I think I will go down the painting route. 'Twill be very hard work! Gotta get it just right!

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

morticia monroe said:
Believe it or not, I was actually lucky enough to have a friend send me one as a surprise gift! How's THAT for having a lucky day!?
It was a trade, woman! :mad:

:D[/quote]It FEELS special in the hand. I don't see a problem reading with these lush beauties at all. [/quote]It does, doesn't it? As soon as I pulled it out of the box, I knew why TCO insisted on trading it - it does want to be read with, no matter its collector's item status.
Yes Kat, I've been tilting my deck as well just to see the colors and the surface texture of the cards. OOOoo, that gold tinting sounds interesting. I may think about pursuing that myself. :) We could jump together.
Wanna? I might get some paint this week, and begin this weekend. VERY small brush, possibly even a case of shaving the really tiny ones down to a few hairs.
I'm besotted now with Il Meneghello. This is my second, the first being the Vachetta. The very fact that they are more of a collectors type of deck makes me want to read with them regularly. I wonder what they'd look like after a little use and abuse? I'll bet they age primo.
I almost bought three more last night :laugh: including the Vachetta. Then I wised up. :) I think this Corte will age particularly well - I can't wait till the edges get all fattened and frayed and soft through use. Thing is, with the colours the way they are and with the totally uncoated stock, any spills will really affect it - so protection from drinks etc!!!

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

jaled said:
Where did you but it, sravana? It's nice!
It's on ebay quite often, from carte-karuta, who is, IMO, one of the best sellers out there. He's really polite and helpful, and I bought morticia's deck on, I think, his Wednesday night . . . it was there on Friday night. How's that for service?? :D

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Le Fanu said:
Should I or shouldn´t it?

Jury still out on this one...

I love Meneghello decks, but...
You should. It's in a class of its own :)

\m/ Kat

OnePotato

sravana said:
...Oh, I'd forgotten - do you own the originals, or a previous incarnation of this deck? It seems that I read about the gold leaf somewhere else...

Yes, I have the 1993-96 portfolio/books of the original etchings.
They are hand colored and have quite a bit of applied gold leaf.

It's quite a glowing masterpiece.

You probably saw it at TG.

thorhammer

Wow, OP. What a treasure. How big are the original artworks?

\m/ Kat

Le Fanu

thorhammer said:
You should. It's in a class of its own :)

\m/ Kat

where can I see good scans which.. of course, yes.. I know.. won´t do it justice? :)

thorhammer

Le Fanu said:
where can I see good scans which.. of course, yes.. I know.. won´t do it justice? :)
*Kat can't believe she's about to do this*

Which ones you wanna see? I'll scan 'em this afternoon :)

\m/ Kat

Le Fanu

thorhammer said:
*Kat can't believe she's about to do this*

Which ones you wanna see? I'll scan 'em this afternoon :)

\m/ Kat

No honestly, don´t put yourself out; just any old site which has them...

But if you insist; I always look at the Moon, the Emperor... maybe the Tower? and a random pip... 8 of wands?... They´re non-scenic I take it...

thorhammer

Le Fanu said:
No honestly, don´t put yourself out; just any old site which has them...

But if you insist; I always look at the Moon, the Emperor... maybe the Tower? and a random pip... 8 of wands?... They´re non-scenic I take it...
I was meaning to scan them for my own use in Orphalese anyway. :) this is the kick in the butt I need to do something half-constructive with my time.

The Moon is choice! Emperor . . . meh. Same with the Tower. Yes, the pips are non-scenic, but they are rather charming, so I'll post at least one of each suit, plus some Courts.

\m/ Kat