The Moon Tonight

Kuma

Hi all,

In India right now - can see the Full Moon (at least it looks full)and to it's left and a little higher is a planet. It's not twinkling so Im certain it's a planet.

It has a very red/orange shine to it. Can anyone tell me which planet it is?

Many thanks

k:heart:

MoonSparkles

Hi

It may be Nirubu...?? But NASA have not confirmed such a planet.

x

Eowyn

It is Mars. Probably.

E.

ETA: Kuma, if you want to be sure, download a free and light software called Stellarium, you can set your location, it is a virtual planetarium that will give you the names of the celestial objects you are looking at. With patience, and proper settings choice, this program can be very useful and fun.

Minderwiz

It is Mars!

At this very moment the Moon is at 18, 34 Leo and Mars is at 9, 34 Leo.

The only visible planets from Earth (excluding Sun and Moon) are Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Arguably Uranus can be seen but it would requre exceptional circumstances.

Incidentally NASA doesn't have anything to do with 'confirming' planets what is and what is not a planet is a decision of the International Astronomical Union, though of course NASA (and others) may discover bodies for the IAU to classify.

t.town.troy

Eowyn said:
It is Mars. Probably.
I agree with Eowin. Mars tends to have a reddish colour.

Edit: Minderwiz has actually done the homework for your question! :D

Eowyn

Minderwiz said:
Incidentally NASA doesn't have anything to do with 'confirming' planets what is and what is not a planet is a decision of the International Astronomical Union, though of course NASA (and others) may discover bodies for the IAU to classify.
Yeah, so it says Pluto :D

Kuma

Eowyn said:
It is Mars. Probably.

E.

ETA: Kuma, if you want to be sure, download a free and light software called Stellarium, you can set your location, it is a virtual planetarium that will give you the names of the celestial objects you are looking at. With patience, and proper settings choice, this program can be very useful and fun.

too cool Eowyn! I will try that program out for sure, thanks for the tip.

So It's Mars!! Thanks Eowyn and Minderwiz. Never seen it so distinct before, but it's so near the moon it's more noticeable.

I digress - but is the Vatican responsible for naming new heavenly bodies? This may be leftfield, out of the tree second-hand info - so forgive me for that.

Thanks for the info all :) Much appreciated.

t.town.troy

Kuma said:
but is the Vatican responsible for naming new heavenly bodies?
I don't think that they do, or else the planets, stars, asteroids, moons, etc. wouldn't have "pagan" names; they would be more likely to name everything after saints and such. ;)

Eowyn

Celestial bodies

Kuma said:
I digress - but is the Vatican responsible for naming new heavenly bodies? This may be leftfield, out of the tree second-hand info - so forgive me for that. :)

Sorry to be out of topic here, mods, but it seems necessary to me, as a physics devote.

http://www.iau.org/public_press/themes/naming/

I hope this makes things clear. :)