10 of swords + Lovers = the end?

DreamerGirl81

I mean the end of the relationship...

Any other interpretations or thoughts?

nisaba

* An abusive or very unhappy relationship

* "you will stay in this terribly depressing situation (not necessarily a bad relationship) until you make some hard choices and stick by them instead of trying to eat your cake and have it too".

* Needing to do the hard yards and/or spend some time alone before either a relationship or some other kind of life-changing choice can possibly come along.

I dunno - a lot depends on the rest of the spread and the person's circumstances.

Nova

I have had to ignore the picture on many decks and concluded that the 10 sw is an army of youth, or at least, an army. A huge gathering at a birthday party or even a funeral. Sometimes it can even pin point "sleeping bags required" as in the event may be at night. Can be Parade, and now that Halloween is coming, watch this card come up, cause if ever there was an army of youth it is a Halloween party.
The lovers card doesn't have to be lovers at all, just a relationship where there is abuse (like yelling or insults) is experienced, and conflict is accepted.

Therefore, one interpretation is that your son is going having fun in school or a lock in at a skating rink.

If you want to focus on your love relationship I would see these cards as massive plural support about a love relationship that may be abusive (too much so) at this time. More than friends (3 of Hearts) one may be surrounding themselves with an army in attending a party.

WalesWoman

I guess I read cards way differently, maybe I'm too optimistic about things. I would think that 10 Swords was the end of the anguish, and that Lovers would be the Sunlight at the end of the tunnel sort of thing...

through hell and back again, but whether it would end happily ever after or not is another thing.

It seems more like some sort of mental suffering, trying to decide what is the right choice... to be in a relationship or not. I can see how it might seem like an abusive relationship, but I don't think I'd see it like that unless that was the question/position... like what are the dynamics of this relationship, etc.

If the Lovers came first and 10 Swords after, I'd have a completely different way of looking at this and that's when I might think the relationship is headed for some serious trouble.

I don't think I really read cards as combinations, but how they relate to each other, so it's still not going to matter if they come up together as much as how they relate to the question and any other cards. I usually don't read just two cards either.

lark

Like Wales Woman I see it in a more positive way too.
What always impresses me about the Lovers card especially in the Rider Waite deck is how the man is looking at the woman, but the woman is looking up into the sky at the angel.
It always brings home to me how differently men and woman think and process stuff.
So 10 of Swords before Lovers says to me that there is an ending of seeing things from different view points...that that is over and there is going to be a shared understanding in the future.
It might have been a long tough battle of wills, but one will compromised for the good of the relationship.

DreamerGirl81

Those cards weren't meant to be read in a chronological order. 10 of swords was drawn first with Lovers as a clarifier. The position in the spread was "what are this person's current thoughts about the relationship?"

Dunno, I usually never read cards in a chronological order unless it's a past/present/future spread.

obeygravity

If the question is someone's thoughts about a relationship, I would think that they believe the idea is overkill. Like it would just be something to dred day in and day out. The Lovers as clarifyer just makes me feel like it would confirm that this is how they feel about the idea of a union.

WalesWoman

DreamerGirl81 said:
Those cards weren't meant to be read in a chronological order. 10 of swords was drawn first with Lovers as a clarifier. The position in the spread was "what are this person's current thoughts about the relationship?"

Dunno, I usually never read cards in a chronological order unless it's a past/present/future spread.
It' makes a big difference... to me anyway. So now there is something to work with here... besides blinding stabbing in the dark and hitting hitting oneself. :D

This person could be prone to exaggeration of the problem, over thinking it, overwhelmed by their thoughts, which is quite easy to do considering, it's probably that same poor guy. Considering some other things you have mentioned... he's been hurt, betrayed in this relationship and couldn't feel any lower than he does now and he is trying to do what's right, but it's killing him too. With the Lovers he is at the crossroads too, to stay, to leave and it's all too much for him to think about anymore. He needs a break and to believe there really is light at the end of the tunnel. He has a choice to do what is right for him in his heart or do what is most convenient... I think. He needs to get out of his head right now and do what is in his heart.

LotusSong

Perhaps it means that this person feels they need to tie up loose ends and/or dispel any miscommunications that have occurred recently (Ten of Swords) in order to restore balance to the relationship (The Lovers).

Well, at least the Ten of Swords has meant the need to communicate better and tie up threads that were left hanging for me in the past...

goddessof1967

Perhaps it means that this person feels they need to tie up loose ends and/or dispel any miscommunications that have occurred recently (Ten of Swords) in order to restore balance to the relationship (The Lovers).

Well, at least the Ten of Swords has meant the need to communicate better and tie up threads that were left hanging for me in the past...

This is pretty much what this combination has just meant for me, but it can be so fluid and so relevant to the current circumstances. As much as we like to try and read the cards in isolation it is so important to know the situation.