Book of Law Study Group 1.1

Grigori

ravenest said:
Also Nuit as the space/time (potential) continuum and Hadit that is any event that occurs in it.

I was reading an article last night by Nancy Wasserman on Yoga, and she made the comparison of Nuit as being Akasha, and Hadit as being Prana. I quite liked the comparison.

nicky

After getting out my universal translator from the bridge of the enterprise I read through the posts..

1. Had! The manifestation of Nuit.

Looks to me like a Goddess religion ! Wow!

Always Wondering

Well you are a few threads shy of the discussion if Thelema is a religion or not. Keep reading.

The first chapter is spoken by Goddess Nuit. The second chapter spoken by Hadit. The third by Ra Hoor Khuit. So it's not necessarily all goddess. I am finding a very good male/female balance.

AW

Aeon418

nicky said:
Looks to me like a Goddess religion ! Wow!
I think I posted this earlier in this thread, but what the heck, I'll do it again. :laugh:
This book explains the Universe.
The elements are Nuit - Space - that is, the total of possibilities of every kind - and Hadit, any point which has experience of these possibilities. (This idea is for literary convinience symbolized by the Egyptian Goddess Nuit, a woman bending over like the Arch of the Night Sky. Hadit is symbolized as a Winged Globe at the heart of Nuit.)
The infinite, unknowable, inscrutable, source of all existence is beyond our comprehension. But if we give it form and gender it comes within our realm of experience and we can begin to have a relationship with "something" beyond our normal awareness.

We might not be able to wrap our minds around the infinite. But we do understand gender. And that understanding comes from the very primal levels of our being.

The unmanifest, infinite source of all being that birthed the universe and all the possibilities within it may not be female per se. But it helps us to think of it as female.

Also the infinite, unknowable root source of awareness within each of us, that wants to experience, reach out, explore, know (in the biblical sense), may not be masculine per se. But it's actively dynamic nature suggests masculinity to us.

The source of all - archetypal feminine - the goddess Nuit.

The will to Go/Know - archetypal masculine - the god Hadit.

Yygdrasilian

Φ = ∞

Aeon418 said:
The infinite, unknowable, inscrutable, source of all existence is beyond our comprehension. But if we give it form and gender it comes within our realm of experience and we can begin to have a relationship with "something" beyond our normal awareness.
One might make an analogy to the Spiral, as described by the value Φ (phi), being engendered by division into male and female “ends” of an infinite continuum: Hadit as the point at its “center”, Nuit as that which “surrounds” this point. The distinction itself is arbitrary, yet may serve to help us ‘wrap our minds around’ a concept that defies dualistic (either/or) thinking.

Beira

I have found that in a lot of the writings related to spirituality it is necessary to realize that one cannot keep hold of a full understanding, as one would do with a material issue. Since we are trying to understand something that is beyond human understanding we are left with some glimpses that come more and more often the more we read and meditate over these issues.
This kind of understanding is very fluid, and it is difficult and maybe useless to try and crystalize it because it shifts with every new glance we manage to get.
It is not easy but I find it fascinating

On aumha.org I have found a good commentary..
Any suggestion/review is welcome here..

For this first line it focuses on the word "manifestation", and connects it quabbalistically with existence in Malkuth. This brings me back to the topic of how Hadit is the way we humans have found to think of Nuit.
And then it goes on explaining how in this case to manifest is intended as opposite of "to hide" (referring to one of the next lines)
But on the other side Nuit and Hadit don't exist just to satisfy human categories.. or do they?!? Uhm.
Maybe it would be more proper to say that Hadit is the way of Nuit to express herself, leaving all the action at the deities level..
I might do with some help here..
In both cases:
Nuit would be too subtle and encompassing at the same time to be understood/expressable in herself.
So we need something to bring her at a more familiar and digestable dimension: that something is the experience of the moment.
If we manage to fully absorbe the experience of a single moment, then we have an idea, through the experience of that moment, of what would be like the experience of the all.
But it can be only a very transitory feeling cause our human senses and minds are not equipped for such comprehensive toughts.
And here comes the question again: have Nuit and Hadit manifested in the Book of Law to teach to us human and bring mankind to a next stage of evolution or are they doing everything out of the unfolding of creation, regardless of mankind? (And the book of Law is the description of what they do).
But definitely the book is worth learning even if it was not meant to teach..
I am quite confused on this, I ll leave it for a while, hoping in someone willing to be of help..

I am more comfortable with the opposition of manifest and hidden and the interplay of wholeness and experience.
I actually mostly get confused when i ask myself if this manifestation is brought forward beacause it is the Will of the Gods or if it is for human benefit.
Uhm, at least I manage to pin down what I am puzzled about. That's something!

Also I gather:
Hadit as experience is what makes possible to talk about Nuit's manifestation at all.
And
In every experience there is the seed of everything. Every experience is comprised in the seed (because it concurrs to its modification/creation, I suppose..)

The commentary goes on with defining Hadit as the "Knower" and explain how the first two chapters deal with presenting Nuit and Hadit, and are therefore parallel but also complementary of each other.
It suggests to me that to experiment one's own experience/Hadit, is in itself evidence of the existence of the Universe/Nuit. (and I would say also of some of the ways it works)

smw

NUIT

If we manage to fully absorbe the experience of a single moment, then we have an idea, through the experience of that moment, of what would be like the experience of the all.[\QUOTE]

I like that :) though I had a brief interesting sensation of moving from a flame point to expanding,like after you have dropped a stone in water. It's all moving.

DerNarr

The first chapter is spoken by Goddess Nuit...

Let's not forget the (allegedly) tangible occurrence that the book documents: Rose's recitation of the words in the first place. Unlike the great monotheisms, this particular book only exists because it was spoken by a woman. Of course, AC referenced the female body as a natural altar more than once, which isn't incidental. Also not incidental is his general disregard for Rose's intellectual abilities, which perhaps translated to a broader misogyny (that's very debatable), implying that her female identity was the most (and perhaps only) necessary ingredient to her suitability as a medium.