abt the magican

TemperanceAngel

Mimers said:

I cant make out what is immediately to the left of the bird, but the next one in looks to me like mountains with a river flowing through. Water carving it's way through earth. Remember this card has all the elements represented on the table. Also the bird looks like the dove on the ace of cups. So, question is why are these water signs carved in wood in this card. again the water carving it's way through earth.
I keep looking and I don't see it as anything but mountains, some in the front and some behind. My feeling is the ones behind have the snow on them, there's your water element.
So do you think the middle one has something to do with Fire or Earth or both??
XTAX

mac22

Mimers said:
Hi,

You know, I have noticed the bird, but not the word DIN. It means judgement eh? What strikes me is where it is. It supports the table that holds the tools. This implies to me the need for good judgement when weilding our powers and using these tools. Or that it is suppressed for now.I
Mimi

DIN is an alternative name for the Sephira Geburah (e.g., see Scholem: Major Trends p 263). In Holy Kabballah (p 427) Waite associates Geburah with gold, in the sense of the end of an alchemical operation. So perhaps the Din is to suggest that the Magician is an Alchemist.

Transmutations is part of what this card is about as I see it. :)

TemperanceAngel

mac22 said:
DIN is an alternative name for the Sephira Geburah (e.g., see Scholem: Major Trends p 263). In Holy Kabballah (p 427) Waite associates Geburah with gold, in the sense of the end of an alchemical operation. So perhaps the Din is to suggest that the Magician is an Alchemist.

Transmutations is part of what this card is about as I see it. :)
I know nothing about the Kabballah, thanks for the info :)
It would seem to me that the Magician is an alchemist, it is a theme of RWS, and the period of time they come from.
mac22, you may find the thread about Alchemy in History and Iconography of interest...

Now back to that middle image...the puzzle needs solved *mutter mutter* XTAX

mac22

TemperanceAngel said:
So I am still not convinced and at this stage I will stick with the three mountains, a recurrent theme in the RWS Majors ;)

Very true.

XTAX P.S. This is fun, isn't it! [/QUOTE]

I'd agree with that...:)

mac22

TemperanceAngel said:
I keep looking and I don't see it as anything but mountains, some in the front and some behind. My feeling is the ones behind have the snow on them, there's your water element.
So do you think the middle one has something to do with Fire or Earth or both??
XTAX

Hehe so we have a water element :)

TemperanceAngel

Back to the thread

The reason I say mountains with snow is because of the reocurring theme of this image. We see these mountains in the Fool and the Hermit, and others which I cannot think of at this time.
We see the bird in the Ace of Cups, and where else?? I don't know....
So the middle image, by my powers of deduction, should be an image that is present in other cards....
SO thinking caps on everyone!
*TA dons her rather bright and woolly thinking cap. Bit hot for the Summer, maybe an idea will sweat out*
XTAX

mac22

Re: Back to the thread

TemperanceAngel said:
*TA dons her rather bright and woolly thinking cap. Bit hot for the Summer, maybe an idea will sweat out*
XTAX

How about the flow of manifestation? :p

TemperanceAngel

Re: Re: Back to the thread

mac22 said:
How about the flow of manifestation? :p
Can you explain a bit more, I am not sure I fully understand thanks :D XTAX

mac22

Re: Re: Re: Back to the thread

TemperanceAngel said:
Can you explain a bit more, I am not sure I fully understand thanks :D XTAX

In alchemy & magick things become manifest.... this is a process not an event... in other words the process of the unseen....:)

JadeII

look at his belt...

hi, i'm new. i just noticed that the Magician has a serpent around his waist. i know nothing about tarot but i'm studying the first 10 major arcana so i naturally came to this thread first about the magician. fyi