abt the magican

mac22

Dexter said:
Aha!!!

Found the boat. Same boat as on the 2 of Pentacles right hand side. Billowing sail. Again water or air, the sail filled or the clouds?

Interesting point...thanks...:)

tmgrl2

Just went to the masculine feminine thread....good !! will have to wait till tomorrow to read whole thread and digest...getting late here, but thanks TA.

mac22

TemperanceAngel said:
OMG this is such a great thread! I was thinking about The Magician being the seed and perhaps those tiny images are symbolic or represent the seed.....
XTAX

Hehe well he's [the magician] certainly is generative. :laugh:

mac22

Moonbow* said:
I have a confession (hmmm.... reminds me of a thread I once knew!). Until today I have never looked at a RWS deck in the flesh.... I have had the Universal Waite since christmas and thought it was about time I looked at it.

This is a great thread, I can see the table leg, bird, just about make out DIN (but not Diana's DIN.... NER) and I think the symbol next to the bird could be flames!!! Huh? eh? What do you think?
Could it be the bird representing air, the mountains and river representing earth and water and then....flames....

I knew somebody else would find the 4 elements :D

SeaPrism

magician symbols

the middle symbol looks to me to be a fallen chess piece (horse shaped head resting to the left), or a chalice over on it's side to the left with fluid coming out to the left...or could it be a hook or a key?

Shalott

Elements on the Table

I've got in front of me a Universal Waite, a Radiant Rider Waite and the Pictorial Key complete with pictures...although DIN isn't clear in either the Universal or RRWS, the symbols are clearer in RRWS, and then compared to the pictures in the Pictorial Key...I believe we have:
waves for water,
flames for fire, (they look like squared off flames in RRWS, but none of the symbols appear as clearly in the Universal...)
Or perhaps this is a crown? I'll have to check my regular RWS when I get home to see if it's flamier or crownier there... :)
birdie for air...

As for Earth, I'm surprised that it's assymetrical in that the garden will have to do...of course the elements are more obviously represented by the minor suits all laying on the table.

In the Complete Idiot's Guide, they say the Magician is Aries, fire...he (or she?) has always seemed more Aquarius (air) to me, intellectual, more book smart, high IQ, resourceful, although Aries/fire could be all these things, too, but he seems to lack the aggression or movement of fire...like the Knight of Swords seems all fire to me, and yet he's air? Strange to me...but I digress.

:D

HA! OK, looking closer to the RRWS, it looks like two rows of mountains with a third, less wavy line, so maybe we've got mountains for earth and a lake for water? Two symbols in one?