Feel like I've lost my faith in Tarot...

Ace

I am so sorry you must go through such a traumatic time I hope your BF is recovering. I true believe that random chance cannot be predicted by Tarot. If it could and it told you this would happen, but (because it is DESTINED) you can't change it, would you have felt better?

Don't blame yourself for not seeing this (and maybe avoiding it.) Bad things happen and I am very very sorry this did, but the best we can do is support you through this rather than suggest ways you could have avoided it. I am glad so many people here were helpful to you.

barb

G6

Hey KC,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I would try this approach to use the cards in more of a meditative way. Just shuffle, concentrate only on the action of shuffling. Let your mind rest. See if you simply get jumpers. If you do pay attention to those jumpers as they relate to how you are feeling or patterns that emerge in the cards that appear. This will take the pressure off of you and the cards and will hopefully provide some relaxation during a stressful time. Hope this helps.

G6

think

I'm so sorry you've gone through all of that KristinCali, and your partner as well. How tragic!

I have nothing to 'defend' tarot with, I guess that as a reader you would just not have expected to pick out something so unimaginable, but also like others have said, maybe true accidents cannot be predicted. I believe tarot looks into our own subconsciousness only.

I'm glad you've found some support. Bright blessings and warm thoughts to both of you.

Owl Song

KristinCali,

I'm so sorry to hear about your difficult experience. I hope things have gotten a bit better since your original post. It does sound like you've had some positivity as you've found support and community to help deal with the trauma.

Since I've begun getting back to Tarot after a difficult time, I've been taking it very slowly. Sometimes I just enjoy the beauty of the art work and just "observe" the cards without trying to interpret them. I've also found minimalist decks to be particularly appealing lately. Something about the simplicity feels cleansing, undemanding, and strangely comforting. (I've been using the whimsical Sun and Moon Tarot.)

I hope that when and if you're ready to return to Tarot that it's a joyous experience.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your loved one.

Absynthe

It's no secret. I have a love/hate relationship with tarot. There are times when I think it gives me good stuff to work with and other times when I sit and say to myself.....really it's just random. No one card turns up more frequently than the others and you can fit any card to any situation. Worse, the interpretations are so vague that you can construe anything at all from them.

It goes in cycles for me.There are definite periods when I pack my cards away and don't touch them for months or years on end. I always get them out again when I'm feeling curious or bored. When I play with them in no-stakes situations is when I get the best from them.

I think they are at their worst in terms of misuse when people use them for predictions. For me it's more an introspective tool and hey if the cards happen to illuminate some situation retrospectively then great too. I know what it's like to lose your faith in something, it can feel like the rug being pulled out form under you and the void that leaves behind is very unsteadying.

But my tarot deck wants me to be less determined by it and more self determined. It's happiest illuminating what I'm truly thinking and feeling about something than predicting events.

lightpers

I felt the same thing back then when my mother was brought into the hospital because there was a car accident in 2012. I am sorry that you have to deal with your matters now, Kristin Cali,

I had the same experience back then, my deck was telling me that i will drop out from
college because of something wrecking will happen ( The Tower card felt so strong in the spread back then), i didn't understand the meanings of the spread and then suddenly the car accident happened , thank God, my mother is fine but i have to take the family's bussness so the i can't continue college.

Funny thing back then, i blamed tarot for giving me misfortune news that i don't want to accept, but then i realized tarot was just a packed of cards, it doesn't take me to the misfortune side, but it was reflect from my inner side to warn myself that i have to keep aware for anything that comes. I just need to be emotionally, physically aware that there is no challenge that we cannot surpass,

so if you felt or think tarot is not telling you anything about this matter, is because you are already aware for yourself and do the challange that you have to face. I give my prayers to you, hoping you will have enough patience to face this challenge,

many blessings!

Edward Tarot Hands

I'm sorry you have had this horrible experience. I suffered a head and brain injury so I have seen it from the other side and I understand the stress and worry that it causes others and also the dependence that is put on others. i made a full recovery and i am sure will your loved one.
You are obviously experiencing many emotions. Anger is one, just go with it and try to understand it. It's not a bad thing.
Your Tarot will always be there when you need it again
Good luck with everything

euripides

My view of Tarot is a little different, and I'm sure many will totally disagree with my perspective, but I'll offer a couple of thoughts that I hope you might find useful.

A metaphor for Tarot that I've always liked is that it offers a view from where you are. You're standing on the hill, surveying a path in front of you; it tells you that if you continue in this direction, this is where you will go. It isn't fixed, because your choices from that moment may well change your path. Perhaps it illuminates an alternative path that you might not have seen. But even the clearest of lenses can't show you the lightning about to strike, or a well-camouflaged lion hiding behind a tree. It can't show you the view that someone else sees - only your own.

There's a concept of self-knowledge called the Johari Window. It's a window crossed into four panes: what we know and the world knows; what we know and the world doesn't know; what we don't know but the world sees; what we don't see and the world doesn't see. It's these last two, and especially the last one, that Tarot can help us to see.

Maybe there are some people who really can see more clearly where the future is going, and who might be in touch with some energies of the universe that we define them as 'clairvoyant', I don't know. I for one am as spiritual and psychic as a sack of potatoes, but I still find Tarot to be a useful tool. It opens my eyes to possibilities and helps me to break out of restrictive thought patterns.

I hope things go better for you.

SaskMick

Just curious- why would you think the cards would warn you of something like this? Did you ask if a tragedy would befall you? Or, was there another reason why this event doesn't fit into a prediction you had?

Would you have wanted to know that this would happen? Not everything in life is avoidable- or at least, I do not believe everything in life is avoidable. I believe some things are part of life agreements that we don't understand, but for some reason, have chosen to experience.

Why you aren't receiving any insight or guidance now, though, after the fact I don't know. Perhaps you can't see it because you expected the cards to tell you this would happen and you no longer trust your inner guidance. I personally don't believe forewarning us of every unpleasant event is what the cards do.

I would have expected a major disaster such as this to be all over my cards well in advance. It's far more than just an unpleasant event, it's a life changer.

SaskMick

I wish Kristin and her fiancé well, I hope he heals quickly from now on.