Etteilla and LS Book of Thoth. Help!

Sylvie Steinbach

Bee!!!

Yes! Did you look at the other 3 he is also putting on auction? Scroll all the way down to see the 3 other items and click on the picture. You will be redirected to the right page. I did not put the link because I did not know if it was ok to do so as it is some form of advertising for ebay. ;-)

The other one is the Grand Lenormand and for those who don't know why I was make the joke on the competition, you can now 'see' why. lol

Sylvie

Bernice

40,00 EUR for a booklet!

Bee :bugeyed:

Sylvie Steinbach

Bee!

Yes! Can you believe it! Tarot cards can become a good investment over few decades...Wonder what an old Lenormand would worth like in a hundred years?!

Sylvie Steinbach

moonbow

I am sorry for the lack of response regarding the freemasons and the Grand Etteilla I have and the symbols/references attached to it. I just did not have time to organize a complete answer. However I can refer you to this link from By Christine Payne-Towler
February, 2007 (I agree with a lot of what she is saying and learned about those info from my own freemason family). It is a great reference source:

http://www.tarotarkletters.com/2007/02/masonic_martini.html

And to what the paragraph says:

{In Etteilla's case, it is easy enough to note the Masonry-inflected titles and the planetary references on the faces of Etteilla's pip cards, and several commentators have done so. What is harder is to connect the dots and comprehend the meaning of these details, the references they are making, and the significance of those references in the larger milieu of his times. For example, isn't it clearer now why the Hermit card would be given the titles "Betrayal" and "Falsehood", with divinatory text including such admonitions as "a trap is being laid for you" and "you triumph over a slanderous denunciation"? Knowing more of Etteilla's history helps us to see why he made the end-notes of his Tower card say "Poverty" and "Prison", still too often the choices available to a magus in his time. Realizing that he moved in a Lodge context helps to explain the Templar logo on t he crypt of his Death card, as well as the arrangements of nails at the bottom the numbered cards in the Wands suit. The Planets on his Coin cards, as well as the references to Alchemy on both pips and Trumps, cement the obvious conclusion that Etteilla was straddling the underground and above-ground markets while he taught occultist Tarot usage to the masses. }

For your information, the nails are referring to the nails in the passion of Christ who was said to be a 33 degree freemasons. I have an old cross of 1700 from the spanish era that has below the casted Christ the skeleton head with the crossed bones. It is a typical freemason symbol of high order!
The geometric figures formed on the cards are part of an alphabet and for example on one of those there is the letter (symbol) TAU. So it is to address the 'nails' point i was making a while back.

gregory

Sylvie Steinbach said:
Yes! Can you believe it! Tarot cards can become a good investment over few decades...Wonder what an old Lenormand would worth like in a hundred years?!
You don't have to wait that long..... I have a couple which.....

Bernice

Sylvie

Thank you Sylvie for your explanation about freemasonary and the (grand) Etteilla.
Sylvie: For your information, the nails are referring to the nails in the passion of Christ who was said to be a 33 degree freemason. I have an old cross of 1700 from the spanish era that has below the casted Christ the skeleton head with the crossed bones. It is a typical freemason symbol of high order!
The geometric figures formed on the cards are part of an alphabet and for example on one of those there is the letter (symbol) TAU. So it is to address the 'nails' point i was making a while back.
I've never heard before that Christ became a freemason, but the Hebrew TAU/Nail emblems on the baton suit do point to a possible connection.

From the online sources re. the number of versions of the Etteilla cards, I believe there was one which had noticeable masonic glyphs. I'm not sure which version it was though.

Bee :)

gregory

And (finally) in response to Bee's ORIGINAL question: the translations of the text on HER cards...

Attachments

• Book of Thoth.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 635

Bernice

Oh! Gregory you're an angel :angel: !

AT LAST:

The LS Book of Thoth tarot deck:
These are the actual words on the actual cards, translated from the French by Gregory Gabriel, and furthermore complied into a PDF ! :)love:)

This is 234 translated words/phrases !!!

Many, many thanks Greggers.

Bee :) (Now I can attempt to actually try a reading with them).

Moonbow

Yes nice job Gregory. I'm just comparing them to Cerulean's list in post 8 and there are similarities, this is a great addition to the threads about the Etteilla.

gregory

I just couldn't believe no-one else here had enough French..... :bugeyed: and as there were so obviously differences....

Enjoy :)

PS this machine has no attached printer; pdf is my print default... no sweat !