Legend Arthurian book

a_shikhs

I've recently both the Legend Arthurian deck and love it. Its beautiful. I would love to study it further but have no idea about the arthurian stories.
Which book would you reccomend I buy in order to study this deck on a deeper level?

Thanks,
Shikhs

Leo62

There's a book that comes with the deck - "A Keeper of Words" by Anna-Marie Ferguson. It explains the story behind each card - I'd definitely recommend it. You can buy it separately - ISBN no. 1567182666

Other than that, the Matthews' (John and Caitlin) have written scores of books about Arthurian (and Celtic) myth. Check out their website at www.hallowquest.org.uk

Good luck! :)

Liralen

If you like fiction there is also "The Once and Future King" by T. H. White and "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley. And "The Crystal Cave" (I think) by Mary Stewart.

Like I said, those books are works of fiction and may be different in some ways than the original legends, but still they are interesting.

tink27

Liralen said:
If you like fiction there is also "The Once and Future King" by T. H. White and "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley. And "The Crystal Cave" (I think) by Mary Stewart.

Like I said, those books are works of fiction and may be different in some ways than the original legends, but still they are interesting.

"The Mists of Avalon" is a great book! I'm just starting to read it while I wait for my Legend Arthurian deck and the book to arrive....it's on backorder!

"The Crystal Cave" sounds really good too! I'll check this one out.

Thanks Liralen

tink

Grizabella

I had the Mists of Avalon book up for trade awhile back with no takers, but it would be cheaper for you to order it, probably, than pay shipping from here in a trade.

whipsilk

Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave is actually the first book of a trilogy. The other two books are The Hollow Hills and The Last Enchantment. They're very evocative and, um, Celtic, if that makes sense. They also tackle the Arthurian legend from the perspective of Merlin, which is an interesting point of view, and makes the story quite fresh. A companion book (The Wicked Day) picks up approximately where the third book leaves off, but approaches the story from Mordred's perspective. I think the first three books are available in an omnibus volume called The Merlin Trilogy.

However, I maintain that you can't do better than finding a good complete edition of the various works of the old master himself, Thomas Malory. But even he didn't originate the tales -- most came from the French writer Chretien de Troyes. There is one version, edited by John Matthews, that has numerous, beautiful illustrations by Anne-Marie Ferguson! But don't go after a Malory unless you're prepared for a sometimes heavy slog -- most editions don't do much to modernize his language, and Malory's approach to character and narrative are distinctly fifteenth century.

a_shikhs

Woww.. There are so many books on the arthurian stories.. That's cool... Thank you everyone for your lovely replies. :) I just want a book which will help me get to know the deck better for now as these books arent available in India and I will have to call for them from outside. I think the Keeper of Words sounds good.

*Shikhs running off to find someone who's going abroad in the near future.. * :D

Morwenna

I've looked for this book (in person) for a long time and just found it the other day! I've barely started to read it yet but it seems really good. Since I have many books about the Arthurian Hallowquest, I wanted a book for this deck as well to better understand the differences. And now I have it. :)

AJ

the deck book would be best for this deck because the cards are specific to a story or happening. I think trying to read a general Arthurian book wouldn't be much help because the story itself is so enormous.

I love this deck!

Morwenna

I love the deck too, and I knew I'd need a specific book for it because every author's take on this material is different. I never worked very much with it before because I was holding out for the information that I now have. :)