The Lovers

MystiqueMoonlight

"The Oracle of the Gods is the Child-Voice of love in Thine own Soul: hear thou it. Heed not the Siren-Voice of sense or the Phantom voice of reason: rest in simplicity, and listen to the silence" Aleister Crowley

Correspondence:-

Colour- yellow
Astrology-Gemini
Herb-Sandalwood

Rune- Kenaz: analysis, creativity, shaping things, creative fire. Art, craft, transformation of current situation. Rest and relaxation are necessary. Power to create your own reality. Reflect and understand before you make a decision.
AND
Wunjo: Harmony, courage, good cheer. Maintain joy in the face of adversity. Keep ideals in mind. Friends and family are important. New relationships, business success, the wind is blowing in your favour.

Hebrew- Zayin: is the completed fertilising act. Every object leading to an end. A symbol of luminous refraction.

Richard1

Wow...am I the first to respond here? Cool.
Anyway, yeah...The Lovers...I think a lot of the symbolism that Crowley added doesn't really make much sense except when considered with Art, and even then, I really don't "get" this card completely...Has anyone read "The Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosenkruetz"? I'm guessing that might explain some of it...
A couple things I think are worth noting:
1) The crowns worn by the couple are the same as worn by the Empress and Emperor.
2) The swords in the background. Zayin means "sword."
3) The wedding is beig performed by the Hermit. I have no idea why...Also the Orphic egg here will later show up on his card.
I think this is one of the central cards in the Thoth deck, if for no other reason than it contains references and echoes of at least four other trumps.

Melissa`

Interesting things you pointed out Richard. Soon as I saw your reply and read it, I pulled out my deck to look. I haven't read the book that you mentioned..

but what I am curious about..the woman.. what is the print of on her robe? To me and my tired eyes right now it looks like incects? .. help me here! .. I know on the mans robe the print is of coiled snake? or so it looks to me..

Amaya

coldsuns

I think is flowers on her robe..

Whats Wunjo, Kenaz, Zayin? Is it on the picture? You might have said but i still dont understand..

Why there is lion of the left and eagle on right? The children on left is with white roses and on right is with a wand? The male(Fool) is taking spear and the female is taking cup?

Kiama

The insects look like bees, which are also found on the Art card's robes... In the Art card are also found the Eagle and Lion as in the Lovers card, but they have switched colours.

Tree of Life stuff: This card takes us from Tiphareth to Binah, from Beauty (I think?) to the female part of God. (I'm not good with Qabalah) Or is it going from Binah to Tiphareth?

Coiled snakes on the man's robes: Kundalini? Sexuality?
Bees on woman's robes: Fertility?

This card reminds me of the Heiros Gamos (Sacred marriage)

And hey, is that the Golden Snitch down at the bottom of the card? ;)

Kiama

Sulis

I`ve just started working with this deck, I love all your observations, I must admit that I hadn`t noticed the insects and snakes on the gowns. Had noticed that the crowns are those of the Empress and Emperor.
The cherrubs at the bottom are holding roses and a club as well as the spear and cup - are these to represent the suits?
Are they standing on anopen book?
Kiama,what is a golden snitch?
I really must buy a book to go with this deck.

Crystalmynx xx

Melissa`

crystalmynx said:

Are they standing on anopen book?

Hey crystalmynx,

I too first thought they were standing on an open book when I first glanced at the card. Its a set of red wings that the cherubs are on. the animals seem to be perched on a bar(correct me if I'm wrong) ..

I wonder if this was meant to look like an open book perhaps?

Also with the man and the woman.. her skin and hair are golden while the crown is blackish/silverish.. the man is complete opposite , golden crown with blackish colored skin. Is this supposed to represent something along the lines of the concept o ying an yang?

*mutters*... books on symbolism would be great right now :D

Ah! looking at the card and looking at the robes in the center where they come together he color of the two mingle together and the incect and snake pattern together.. as if one material..

ok. enough rambling.. :)

Amaya

Kiama

There are quite a few references to opposites in this card...

Dark man, gold crown, light woman, silver crown.

Red Eagle, White Lion (Fire and Air elements)

The spear and chalice, which seem to represent the 'Sacred Marriage' (The spear is phallic, and when placed in the vagina-like chalice, the sexual union is symbolically taking place).

Man on on side, woman on the other... Yet the figure above them, whilst he has his two hands apart, one on one side of the picture (Female side) the other on the left hand side (Male side), his two hands are joined loosely by what looks like material... Dos this refer to the Catholic practice of placing a cloth over the marrying couple's hands for the wedding service?

Crstalmynx: The Golden Snitch is the winged ball from Harry Potter. The orphic egg at the bottom of the Lovers card looks like it.

Apparantly, according to the Book of Thoth, the Orphic Egg represents the marriage in a more primitive form.

Kiama

MystiqueMoonlight

Aahh, so that was a good idea. Gee I certainly invoked some thoughts on that one.

Basically you have all hit upon some good points. There's really no right or wrong when it comes to card interpretation.

Just a few more ideas to really get your intuitive juices flowing:-

1. Orphic Egg: contains the secret of life. The dark child upon it & carrying the spear indicates the male instinct to procreate and like the red lion is the is that of creative will. The white child is a Moon symbol such ass that of the white eagle. It unites us with our inner most femininity.

2. The number 6 is that of the union of opposites.

3. According to Crowley the connection between Binah & Tiphareth "From this point of view, he is a symbol of inspiration (Binaah), descending upon the hooded figure (Tiphareth), who is he, in this instance, a prophet operating the conjunction of the King & Queen"

4. Further of Zayin (the Hebrew letter). The hermaphrodite which holds itself in it's own embrace and is cut in two by the sword. Since then the two parts have been searching for each other.

Richard1

Crowley also points out an association with Cain and Abel (the children), as well as Eve and Lilith (in the upper corners), but I must confess that I didn't really get a lot of it. He also says that the real title of this card should be "The Brothers."
I'm just wondering though...where is cupid pointing that arrow? I know he's blindfolded, but his aim shouldn't be THAT off...
I'm also wondering about the Spear/chalice vs. the club/flowers...could the latter two be considered more "natural" versions to the first two?
Also, I love the story of the Orphic Egg, but from what mythology does it come? I think it said in the Banzhof/Akron book that it was "Pelagasian" (or something like that...I'm too lazy to run back and check), but I have no idea what culture that would be.
Coldsuns: Why do you think the man is the Fool? I notice that the Hermit here has a cone of light behind his head that's like the Fool's, but that's the only connection here I can find...